New Cold Weather Idea. Thoughts Please.

brp

Advanced Member
While brainstorming options for insulating the soft side material, I came across this:

http://www.amazon.com/Sponge-Neoprene-With-Adhesive-Thick/dp/B0035G95X4

Adhesive backed neoprene. My thought was you could just pop the top and stick this to the inside. If you took your time I think it could be very clean, effective and affordable.

I could make some sheets that fit between the window covers and the plastic.

My concerns are that it is black, would darken the interior, and that it may bunch when the top is lowered. For this reason I thought of going with the thinner, spongier version.

Thoughts.

I agree that bunching could be an issue.
My concerns would be regarding the adhesive qualities.
  • Will it stick to the sideliner material?
  • Will it stay stuck? I would want 10F to 140F performance, based on the temps and solar conditions I experience here in Cali
  • Will the adhesive either melt under high heat or dry out?
Even a couple of years in a non-conditioned space (we call that the outdoors :D ) is a long time to expect unproven material to remain stuck in place. I personally have gotten by with $30 worth of reflectix and some self-adhesive velcro tabs for two winters. We should replace some of the velcro, but it's no big deal since the reflectix weighs almost nothing. We store our two rolls while the top is down on top of the stove where they stay put. It does take about two minutes to roll it out when we pop the top, and about the same to take it down.

Good luck with your decision. You have at least four months to figure this out. :D

Lighthawk - I know this had probably been covered elsewhere but where did you source your "self-adhesive velcro tabs"? I picked up a roll of Reflectix a year or so back and it is still just sitting as I ponder the infinite attachment possibilities. So far I just overpower the cold, leaky interior of my old Palomino with lots of propane, :oops: hard on the environment but easy for me as I don't have to make a decision or expend any effort. Last winter was mild up here in OR and we did not get out very often anyway.
Thanks-

Lighthawk - I know this had probably been covered elsewhere but where did you source your "self-adhesive velcro tabs"?

I can't speak for Lighthawk, but I got a roll of adhesive-backed Velcro (or velcro clone) at Lowes or Home Depot...for the same project on my camper.
So before next winter, give the planet a break and buy some adhesive-backed Velcro!
wink.gif

You can also usually find the sticky back velcro and the "sew on" velcro at most crafts stores, or sewing stores, or quilt (fabric) stores. The big chain stores have it prepackaged, however, the independent stores usually have it on rolls and sell it by the inch or foot.

Thanks - MarkBC and Alley-Kat, much appreciated. The environment thanks you also.... :cautious:

Alley-Kat and MarkBC have done well! I got mine at the local hardware store where they sell velcro (adhesive backed and raw) by the foot. My local crafts store (Ben Franklin is a chain I think) also sells 1/2", 3/4" to 1 1/2" industrial velcro in both flavors.

Our system is pretty crude and quick. We only used a few 'tabs', maybe spaced about 32" on center, located top and bottom to hang the reflectix. I do notice, that the soft side of the velcro (OEM) on the camper is getting a little 'furry' where we hook and detach the insulation.

Back
Top Bottom