New Eagle: Tailgate Question.

Garymc

Advanced Member
Hey all, my Eagle should be ready in two'ish weeks and I'll be driving the Tacoma out to Reno for delivery and installation. I like to leave my tailgate on the truck so I have a place to set things and sit. Are there any drawbacks to this configuration that you would care to share?

Thanks for your time,

Gary Mc
Grand Junction, CO

I think the main problem is if the camper fits with the tail gate on. For my trucks the camper is flush with tail lights so the gate can't stay on.

If you need to leave the gate down with camper on your tires will provide enough road trash to refinish the paint. Even if you have mud flaps.

For some people it is more of a challange to get in and out of the camper with the tail gate still there.

we have customers do both (tail gate on and some off)

most take the tail gate off

(it makes the truck lighter and makes it easier to get in and out of the camper, also less risk of backing into something)

if you leave the tail gate on and in the down position, once the camper is mounted on the truck, the tail gate won't close

leaving the tail gate on and lowered for the ride home really is no big deal either for some customers

I have left my tail gate down on several trucks and many miles without any problems of road trash scratching it up, but I usually don't do gravel roads either ?

one potential problem with leaving the tail gate on is that if you get a flat tire it will be very hard (if not impossible) to get your spare tire out without taking the camper off the truck first. Most of the new trucks have a crank to lower the spare tire from out of under the truck, and if the tail gate is on and lowered you won't be able to access the hole

:(

Thanks for the advice, y'all. I hadn't thought about the spare tire issue, that is a problem. I'll be taking the tailgate off.

Stan, how far out are we? I'm stoked!:thumb:

-Gary McDaniel
Grand Junction, CO

Back
Top Bottom