New folding sand mats

JHanson

Sand mats such as the excellent MaxTrax are essential recovery tools, especially if you travel solo. The most effective sand mats are rigid—both for flotation and traction. But most are a pain to store unless you mount them on a roof rack or tire carrier. I've just published a preliminary review on a folding version that shows great promise. It's here.

If you go back to the main Overland Tech and Travel page and scroll down, you'll also find a bit about a new aluminum bridging ladder, for more advanced situations when you might need to bridge a ditch or create a ramp to ascend a ledge.

Nice find! Almost makes we wish I hadn't jumped at the half-price MaxTrax when I saw them.

Ever tried X-Trax by Bushranger? I have a set but haven't had to use them yet.
Yes - they are decent and very compact, but don't seem to offer the flotation or traction of a more rigid mat in very soft sand.

JHanson said:
Yes - they are decent and very compact, but don't seem to offer the flotation or traction of a more rigid mat in very soft sand.
Kind of what I figured. Easy to carry though, but my FJ had a rear locker so I never needed them. My Tacoma doesn't so I may find out first hand. ;-)

Back
Top Bottom