New FWC Hawk Options - Now vs Later?

Thanks Ramblinman. BTW, Waylon is in my top 3 all time favorites!! I got my wife hooked on him too.

One way I want to save money on the camper is to do the hardware and electrical install myself. I've search WTW forum for topics on the install and the electrical and I have been unable to find a clear and specific thread about this. Can someone point me in the right direction? Should I just call FWC for the specs? I would rather wait until I have the camper to drill holes into my truck bed.

Be Sure To Call FWC Because If You're Buying New, They Won't Allow You To "Install" The Camper Yourself. I Also Did This (Full Wiring And Tiedown Hardware) And They Still Charged Me The $395 And Replaced All My Stuff. This Was The Only Thing That Really Pissed Me Off About The FWC Buying Experience... Call Them And Check It Out, Something About Liability Or Something.

The Install Guy Even Commented On How Nice My Install Job (Hardware) And Wiring Was. It Really Was A Waste Of My Time, Just So You Know.

Bwht4x4 said:
I would rather wait until I have the camper to drill holes into my truck bed.
I get that you want to wait. FWIW - I had to drill mine ahead of time. Terry at FWC provided the exact dimensions over the phone. They were spot on! It was nice to have it done ahead of time.

I suspect that a quick call to FWC will give you all the info you need whether it be electrical or whatever.. They are extremely knowledgable and customer friendly. Great company IMO.

I pulled the trigger and placed the order today (before the $600 price increase after today).

One question I had was the placement of the solar plug. I see benefits of both the roof or rear wall placement, but what do others think on placement. I need to let them know next week where to put it.

Ultimately I will have a solar panel, just not sure where. I'm leaning toward the roof, but I don't like the idea of another hole in the roof.

craig333 said:
Roof, if you want one anyplace else ato a later date thats an easy diy.
I'd go with Craig's suggestion. You want it prewired for solar on the roof. They can make it a clean factory install. If not for you, think of a future owner.

Good points guys on the solar plug placement on the roof. I'll let FWC camper know what I've decided on the placement.

It's going to be a long 8 weeks until it's ready. I think my wife is more excited than me.

Greetings--

Love my Eagle FWC-- Shell model. Bought new in 2009. Wanted the Shell model, since depending upon my planned trip I wanted the room to bring gear that was applicable and not have limited space consumed with unwanted gear / accessories. I spend most my time outside, so a tarp with telescope poles and folding chair and TV Tray is all I need. Don't spend a lot of time inside and have found I want the space more than sink, water tank, heater, sofa, table, etc.

I've used my TV Tray and folding chair inside a couple times when weather was really bad. Been to Alaska and camp 3 seasons in mountains. I use a portable Buddy Heater (with propane bottle, and also a outside propane tank sometimes). That and a good sleeping bag and I'm set for cold weather. Also have used my propane stove for one-pot meal heating inside. Normally take a small ice chest only (stays outside or driver seat at night (keep food out of camper to bear proof). Shell model also leaves room for porta-pottie, when the wife camps with me.

HIGHLY RECOMMEND JUST GETTING THE SHELL MODEL WITH ACCESSORIES--

Screen Door: A MUST. To pop camper need air flow, so door must be left open. In Alaska you will let in hundreds of mosquitos just to pop the camper open. Must have screen door.

Fantastic Fan: Works great. A must when hot, and since I sometimes smoke a cig inside it exhaust the smoke great.

Flood Lights-- Don't use much, but are available if I need them.

Master Elect. On/Off Switch: They don't offer this item, but I refused to buy the camper without a master switch to turn off all electricity to the camper. The outside lights turn on/off with an outside switch. So if I leave it at a trailhead and take a backpack trip, and some idiot turns on the lights, my battery would be dead when I got back to drive out. So I would not buy without the Master Switch. Kind of threw them a curve, but they finally agreed to install one.

Awning: Have not used much. I use a tarp and telescope poles. But when really hot, awning works well and is easy to use. Glad I got it.

Extended Cabover: Gives a 4inch sleep surface instead of only 2inch, and provides a large sleeping area for two people. Well worth the extra cost.

Curtains: Installed my own with some hardware from Camper's World.

Luggage Rack: Got the rear rack, but have not used. Can't put to much heavy stuff there, since you have to lift it manually so is a waste (for me). I have a canoe (kevlar), but still would be too heavy for me to pop camper without taking canoe on/off all the time. I would skip the luggage rack options.

I use portable Jacks, but would buy the attached Jacks if I had the chance again.

I also would buy the lifters to assist with opening camper. Eagle is pretty light, but I still find I wish the lift assist were attached.

Good luck with your option choices.

Bwht4x4 said:
I pulled the trigger and placed the order today (before the $600 price increase after today).

One question I had was the placement of the solar plug. I see benefits of both the roof or rear wall placement, but what do others think on placement. I need to let them know next week where to put it.

Ultimately I will have a solar panel, just not sure where. I'm leaning toward the roof, but I don't like the idea of another hole in the roof.
Well ..... what options did you order?????

Here's what I ordered. Some will think or even say that some of these options are not worth it or needed, but they are what I wanted in a camper. I'll add other items like a refrig, roof rack tracks, solar, etc as time and money permit.

Thanks again to all that commented on this post to answer my questions. Special thanks to Kilroy for his advice and patience in answering my questions.
FWC+Spreadsheet.png

Bwht4x4 said:
Here's what I ordered. Some will think or even say that some of these options are not worth it or needed, but they are what I wanted in a camper.
Congrats on the order. You got what you wanted, that's all that matters. :) Making modifications as time goes by is half the fun anyway. Enjoy the wait and have fun when you finally get it.

Ended up getting a 1.95% rate from our credit union for our FWC camper loan so we decided to add a couple more items to the Hawk build. Added the 10-foot Yakima tracks, the front sliding window and the flush top appliances (wife really wanted these). Now the wait really begins since I can't make any more changes to our order.

I think you'll really like the flush mount appliances. Your wife is on to something. That is something we probably would not have ordered (kinda expensive) but since they came with our used Hawk we love 'em. They add a lot of extra counter top when one or the other is not in use and allow for a nice storage spot for the extra bed cushions when traveling. Nice feature to have.

Same from here about the flush mounted sink and stove. I was not really in favor of spending the extra $$ but they were a big deal for the high command so went with them. We are both surprised by how much we like having them - no regrets now about the cost. Good luck with the wait for your unit.

Looks like I have a Dec 23rd install date for the Hawk. Just need to plan a shake-down trip for New Year's now.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom