New Geo Den vs Capri Cowboy

breeves2245

Really struggling trying to find an option for my 2002 Silverado 1500. Went to the Cat Scales today and confirmed what I had estimated. GVWR is 6200, truck weight with me and a full tank is 4986, so 1214 for payload. Figured no chance for a truck camper with this truck and ain't too excited about parting with 25k+ for a 3/4 or 1 ton used truck.

Truck camper magazine had the new Phoenix Custom Popup Geo Den Flip highlighted. It's light enough for my rig. Got me looking around and I see the Capri Cowboy in the same weight range of 700-800lbs. Both models are no cab-over types.

Trying to think through the pros/cons. Geo Den in the 17k range, Cowboy around 10k. Called Capri today and as the reviews state, got right to a live person with time to talk to me.

Prefer the Cowboy but one issue is really bugging me. It's only 5' tall. I'm 6'0". This will be used for mostly outings to fish lakes in my state and an occasional longer trip to a national park. Single Joe, so just me.

So I am not viewing this as a full RV type rig, just a place to sleep, make coffee, etc. But the always bending over issue is my hang up. The Geo Den has the popup tent making the height 84" but that extra room cost me about 7k.

I have never used an RV, so can't really visualize if the 5' ceiling is really that big of a deal.

Any members here with some sage advice?

In September, I met a railroad worker who was using a Capri as his home away from home. He was using it for months at a time, staying in RV parks. It was his second Capri, and he had highly positive things to say about it and the company. My guess is he was in the 5'10" range and close to 200 pounds.

I couldn't tell you anything about the Phoenix.

We have a 2015 ATC Panther shell (790lbs dry) that has been full time mounted on our 2000 Silverado 1500 for almost 2-1/2 years.

No problems what so ever. Added a set of Firestone Ride-Rites and we've been good to go!

You got my interest with the ATC Panther Shell. I would be ecstatic if I could find a pop up cab over to accommodate my 1,200 lb payload. Figured my only option was a cab less. I went to the ATC website but could not find weights. I'll call them tomorrow. Thanks for the tip.

I had a loaded hawk on my tundra . With airbags e rated tires. I have never had issues turning or leaning when taking corners. And I have me wife and son . Water tank filled and supplies. No rear stabilizer for rear end. I also used to have a ranger with a 7’ shadow cruiser on it which was heavier never issue . People they have issues. If your going to wheel and go four wheeling then you should get heavier duty truck .

I have a non pop up on my Tacoma that is about 5’ on the interior. For me the key is sitting headroom both while in bed or on the bench. Plenty comfortable for my wife and I plus our dog. Just did a 6300 mile 21 day trip. While we are not considered large people we are old.....and we were very comfortable.

Capri used to offer a 6 foot roof option for their Cowboy camper. Perhaps they would be willing to build one for you.

The 6' Capri was called a Maverick and they may build it for you. Should be lighter especially if you get minimal add ons :)

Bought the Cowboy from Capri. The hours of research have finally come to an end. For now this will meet the needs of my weekend getaways and truck payload. Pete was great to work with, delivery in five weeks.

Five foot roof. Pics of the six foot roof are just too weird looking plus the aerodynamics look pretty bad. I'm anxious about the five foot roof, I'm 6'0". Keep telling myself this is just a weekend sleeper for the next few years before I retire. Then if all works out, on to a newer truck with more payload and a popup camper.

You got me thinking more about the five foot roof. I'm good with that decision. Still can park in the garage, less weight than a six foot ceiling for the minimal payload I have to work with.

I'm rethinking the need for the two burner stove. I'm 59 and in good shape, but bending over for any prolonged time has me a bit concerned. Don't have a bad back, but do have some lower back issues if I'm in a bad position for very long. Having never been in a truck camper or camped much at all makes it hard to really know what makes sense. Rather than bending over boiling water for morning coffee or whatever, I think I would just as soon be outside with no height limitation with a small coleman stove. Cooking with be at a minimum as these weekend trips will be mainly for fishing. Oatmeal for breakfast and some deli meat for sandwiches, etc.

Room in this rig is at a premium to say the least, any reason I should keep the stove that I am not considering?

If your primary need is to "cook" water for coffee in the morning, look at a JetBoil. In just a few minutes, you can have a liter of boiling water and do it from a seated position.

Paul

PaulT said:
If your primary need is to "cook" water for coffee in the morning, look at a JetBoil. In just a few minutes, you can have a liter of boiling water and do it from a seated position.

Paul
X2

Back
Top Bottom