New Grandby build

Are those support ribs inside the tanks holding area and the water flows through them or are there separate compartments ? What is your custom tank capacity ? And how do you plan on getting the water into your FWC's plumbing system to get it heated and to the shower head?
By the way, I love whats going on here.

DanT said:
Are those support ribs inside the tanks holding area and the water flows through them or are there separate compartments ? What is your custom tank capacity ? And how do you plan on getting the water into your FWC's plumbing system to get it heated and to the shower head?
By the way, I love whats going on here.
Yep, stainless support ribs inside the tank that the water flows through. The capacity should be right around 40 gallons. We are playing with a couple of ideas for hooking it into the FWC plumbing system.

Thats definitely a first. Never heard of anyone putting water storage underneath the camper. Interesting. Cool build.

I nearly bought a used service bed a couple of weeks ago. I'm thinking now to go with a semi-flatbed that has fender arches and build out storage fore and aft of the rear tire openings, above and below the deck.
Any idea how low the water pump can draw from?

Are you going to passivate it before use? No idea what that might cost, but it would eliminate any impinged steel or iron in the stainless steel, which could 'color' the water's flavor. I think that I would make the baffles in a zig-zag manner to add some lateral strength to the middle of the tank. Adding flanges to them would mean that you could rosette weld them from the top to tie them into both horizontal sheets.

You'd loose the structural support part of the tank, but I'd be much more inclined to have the tank fabricated from polyethylene. I know that there is a tank mfg in the greater Victorville/Hesperia area that can do this type of work.

Don't know of any QD's specific for water. Were I doing this, and I've contemplated a tank where the spare used to live under the bed, I'd just use AN/JIC fittings with a teflon or polyethylene lined hose. Probably more AN than JIC since they're anodized and will be less likely to corrode. Alternately mcmaster.com's "Instant Fittings" (aka "poke - n - hope") with a flexible PE tube might work well. My biggest concern for both of our tanks is freezing weather. "PEX" is probably also a reasonable option.

The missing piece has finally arrived...now we can get this rig completed!!

Attachments

• truck.jpg
    truck.jpg
    201.4 KB · Views: 127
What are you going to do with the Bed from the new Truck? Is the Utility bed that the 4/wheel is mounted to going to be painted to match the new truck? Looks like a nice set up!

craig333 said:
Passivate? Are you making me google another word?
In making and working stainless steel some carbon steel gets impinged or "mashed" into the stainless. Passivation is an acid treatment to remove the carbon steel so that the stainless won't rust.
Tried to attach the old QQ-P-35 Passivation spec and then the more current AMS 2700E spec, but they are both too big of a file. If you really want to read it, might try: http://quicksearch.dla.mil/qsDocDetails.aspx?ident_number=50793

Got impatient and loaded the camper for a quick getaway..went on smoothly..except the rear camera is now taped on..lol

We'll dive back into the service bed build next week :)

Attachments

• truck2.jpg
    truck2.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 180
  • truck8.jpg
    truck8.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 165
Back
Top Bottom