New Guy from San Marcos, CA ------> Relocating to CO

BaileyJ

Advanced Member
Hey everyone!

Not sure if this is the appropriate section, My name is Bailey and I just joined the Forum the other day. I currently drive a 2007 FJ Cruiser that has been my pleasure building since December 2014. A new work opportunity is on the horizon allowing remote work so I'm looking at picking up the following:

07-13 Toyota Tundra 4x4 (Double Cab w/ 5.7L V8)
Four Wheel Campers (Hawk Shell)

Very excited to see what people are doing, where they are going, and possibly joining the FWC community soon. Here are a couple shots of the current "build" featuring Ozzy my Adventure Buddy (Corgi/Lab mix)

-Bailey J.
IG: @BDBJOHNSTON

24175782898_e85c8bb01e_b.jpg

37318830224_c15783d0cc_b.jpg

37318825124_4b196fdb40_b.jpg

35626381050_02fef8d2dc_b.jpg

35329288654_8a065f34c7_b.jpg

Hi BaileyJ, welcome to the forum! Congrats on the employment opportunity and relocation. Keep us posted as you start building up your soon to be new truck and camper combo...

Wandering Sagebrush said:
Hi BaileyJ, welcome to the forum! Congrats on the employment opportunity and relocation. Keep us posted as you start building up your soon to be new truck and camper combo...
Thank You! I definitely will. I just need to sell my FJ first :D

Bailey, welcome to the group. Lots of great info, especially for those wanting to build out a shell or re-hab an older model. Good luck. Looking forward to seeing your new set-up, jd

Hello BaileyJ and welcome. Great place to find out how the other half lives, can't speak highly enough of this site and those members on here.
Congrats on work opportunity and being able to use the Toy/Hawk as well.

Russ

Tuff Guy 62 said:
Welcome aboard. This is a great forum with lots of friendly folk with a deep well of knowledge and experience.

Casa Escarlata Robles Too said:
Welcome to the group.There is a wealth of info here at the site.
Nice pictures.
Frank

longhorn1 said:
Bailey, welcome to the group. Lots of great info, especially for those wanting to build out a shell or re-hab an older model. Good luck. Looking forward to seeing your new set-up, jd

CougarCouple said:
Hello BaileyJ and welcome. Great place to find out how the other half lives, can't speak highly enough of this site and those members on here.
Congrats on work opportunity and being able to use the Toy/Hawk as well.

Russ

Thank You everyone! I'm already planning a few modifications/upgrades like using a Baja Designs Angled Flush Mount instead of the generic LED flood lights. Been running BD since early 2014.

https://www.bajadesigns.com/products/Squadron-Sport-Angled-Flush-Mount-LED-Work-Scene.asp

Angled%20Flush%20Mounted%20Large.jpg

Also planning truck upgrades (without a truck). Really hoping the FJ will sell quickly so I can start the new project. So many great ideas on this site. :D

Looking forward to hitting the road!
-Bailey

Hello BaileyJ! I am new here too. Just posted my own intro the other day. I will be interested in your mods and plans, as I am new to all this. And you look like you have a clear idea of what you want to do and accomplish. I just picked up an older Northstar pop up camper, and will be adding a truck at some point. (I have access to a truck from the prior owner, my neighbor, until I get my own). I plan on a few mods too. I started a thread in the Hallmark and other brands sub-forum. Will be interested to see what your ideas are as you come at it from a different place than I do, or so it looks from your pics and links so far.

sunvalleylaw said:
Hello BaileyJ! I am new here too. Just posted my own intro the other day. I will be interested in your mods and plans, as I am new to all this. And you look like you have a clear idea of what you want to do and accomplish. I just picked up an older Northstar pop up camper, and will be adding a truck at some point. (I have access to a truck from the prior owner, my neighbor, until I get my own). I plan on a few mods too. I started a thread in the Hallmark and other brands sub-forum. Will be interested to see what your ideas are as you come at it from a different place than I do, or so it looks from your pics and links so far.

Thanks! Welcome as well :)

Just sold my FJ Cruiser today. Now it's time to find the complete package (Truck and Camper)

Hi again Bailey
Congrats on being able to move forward so quickly. A little over a year ago when we were looking, the previously owned market seemed so thin as compared to now. Just saying! We did find something close to what we wanted from, The dealer in Jackson Hole. We ended up going thru ATC. If you have so many special requirements, it would be worth your time to speak with them. If you can be flexible I would be willing to bet you can get a smoking deal if you searched. I'm thinking with how fast you sold, luck is peering over your shoulder.

Russ

longhorn1 said:
Bailey, get that order in before the price increase:) jd
Can't decide to buy new or wait for something used!

Did a little pricing on my ideal shell:

Shell - $11,995
Power Roof Vent Fan - $295
Thermal Pack - $575
Silver Spur Package - $750
Drivers Side Window - $525
160W Solar Package - $995
Smooth Fiberglass Siding - $650
Install - $495

TOTAL - $16,280

I'm wishing I sold the FJ earlier, a hard side camper was just on CL for $8500... 2012 FWC Hawk Model. It was a heck of a deal!

CougarCouple said:
Hi again Bailey
Congrats on being able to move forward so quickly. A little over a year ago when we were looking, the previously owned market seemed so thin as compared to now. Just saying! We did find something close to what we wanted from, The dealer in Jackson Hole. We ended up going thru ATC. If you have so many special requirements, it would be worth your time to speak with them. If you can be flexible I would be willing to bet you can get a smoking deal if you searched. I'm thinking with how fast you sold, luck is peering over your shoulder.

Russ
Thanks! I haven't seen a lot about ATC. Maybe I'll do some research. A custom flatbed shell sounds nice!

Bailey, I’ve had a FWC Grandby and now an ATC Bobcat. While both are well made campers, I prefer the ATC for several reasons. They’re a smaller company, and you’ll be working with the owners as you configure your camper. ATC is very open to customizations, while FWC is not. Lastly, I believe ATC is far more responsive to customer issues than anyone else in the RV industry. They really stand behind their product. As soon as I find the thread, there is a good discussion about why people choose one builder over the other, I will post a link. The Cliff notes version is FWC is more ‘modern’ and has a little more bling, while ATC offers customization and superb customer focus. If I ever buy another pop up, it will be an All Terrain Camper.

Edit: http://www.wanderthewest.com/forum/topic/14905-fwc-or-atc-opinions-facts/

Bailey
There was some shots of a walk thru model they made. ( if someone rember where it link t please)
That would be cool and can't imagine would disappoint. I probably missed it but what truck were going to use?
Russ

CougarCouple said:
Bailey
There was some shots of a walk thru model they made. ( if someone rember where it link t please)
That would be cool and can't imagine would disappoint. I probably missed it but what truck were going to use?
Russ
Russ,

Currently looking for an 07-13 Tundra 4x4 with 5.7l V8. Double Cab w/ 6.5ft bed preferred. The market is limited here in socal so it might take me a minute. Trying not to spend $20k + for a 2007 with 100k +miles.

-Bailey

Back
Top Bottom