New guy here

sunshdw

Hello all,
I'm new to the forum but I've been lurking for the last couple months trying to learn more. I am in the market for a popup and I thank you all for your great site info.

One thing I'm not seeing is 1/2 ton Ram's carrying a popup and to some degree I know why. I really love my Ram but since the change to coil spring from leaf they have become the worst on the market for payload, sadly. That aside I've been looking at the FWC Raven and the ATC Ocelot and since they are a close drive to the factories, we will be visiting them soon to see what they're like. I've read the thread of why those picked ATC over FWC but I don't see a FWC over ATC thread...........or perhaps I missed it.

I've owned travel trailers before and enjoyed the comforts and living space but I realize with my last one that I basically used it for a bed and a stove. So that's what brought up the popup camper search. I'd like to be able to drive into the deep forest, park in some area and have that be home for the weekend and not drag a 6k lb lunch box up some trail.

I already have suspension and tire upgades in the plan to make this happen and, thanks to this site, some really great areas I'd like to explore near where we live.

Looking forward to contributing and learning more,
Cheers
JJ

JJ, welcome to the group. Talk to Marty at ATC about your weight concern with the Ram... I suspect he will have some ideas how to make things work for you.

Hello sunshdw
Welcome to WTW. I think that you will find that one over the other is a personal choice. For my wife and I we looked at both, the fact we could talk to the folks at ATC, get the camper we wanted the way we wanted it is why we are proud owners of a Cougar. I don't think you wil be disappointed with either, so follow your heart. I would also like to say there are a lot more used campers out there vs last year if you are thinking of used.
Russ

JJ,welcome to the cult. You should go talk to FWC/ATC and ask questions.
Stan at FWC is a good source of info. Also Marty and Jeff at ATC are very easy to talk with
and build a good camper for you.

There seem to be a lot more used around so that might be a good place to start.
Good luck in your search.
Frank

Thank you all for your responses and making me feel welcome to this "cult" haha

I have emailed with Marty and I will be visiting them next weekend along with FWC since they're close so I can actually see one these.

Again thank you for all your help!!

Think about a shell with a couple of options. That keeps weight down and provides the essentials.

I have an Eagle shell with extra roof vent, stove/furnace combo, and roll over couch. It is just what you said. Stove and a bed but with heat for cold weather. I added a portable "Truck Fridge" and solar to run it. The combo is perfect for us.

Squatch said:
Think about a shell with a couple of options. That keeps weight down and provides the essentials.

I have an Eagle shell with extra roof vent, stove/furnace combo, and roll over couch. It is just what you said. Stove and a bed but with heat for cold weather. I added a portable "Truck Fridge" and solar to run it. The combo is perfect for us.
Agreed and that's a great Idea. I hope when we visit them on the 7th they have some options so I can get a feel for what we need/want and what it'll look like then make a better decision.

Lot's of good info here! Both firms will give you something you can like and it is a good idea to check out both places. Me --I bought my Granby 12 years ago just as I retired, and wish now that I got more goodies instead of less. Frequently my back packer ways went for the more primitive things (roof, frig, heater, stove and bed-although I was sure glad they talked me into a hot water heater!). But again then I would have not had the fun(?) of seeing something or reading about some new gizmo and saying "Boy I would sure like to have that in my pop-up-then running out and getting it.." Also, I would have not had all the "fun" of changing over to a compression frig from a 3 way and going solar. So now I have lot's of goodies and enjoy especially that new English swing out table that Mark BC and others have turned me on to! Tinkering with our beasties-no matter what make-is also a big part of owning one. There is something about turning on the stove to heat up that coffee water on a cold, windy, rainy, dreary day, looking out the window and saying "Boy Am I sure glad I'm in here and not out there!!!" Enjoy!

Smoke

Back
Top Bottom