New guy needs help

cubdriver

Ok I have decided to buy a FWC Hawk for my 09 Dodge crew cab 1/2 ton. I have been searching the used market and not much is availible, I did have the opportunity to purchase an 06 model in Salt Lake and an 03 model in Boise
but I didnt react fast enough and they both sold out from underneath me.(actually to be honest, I thought we were in a recession and I made low ball offers and both times someone else paid full asking price). So unless something else comes up I have decided to order a new one. Never owning a camper before I have some questions as to which options I should go with on this hawk model.
#1 extended cabover. is bigger better?
#2 Camper jacks. do I get the kind that are mounted on the camper or the cable ones. Has anyone ever ripped one of the side of there camper.
#3 Fantastic fan. does this thing work. I recently moved to Idaho and it is hot here in the summer.
#4 Boat rack. do I go with their rack or this Thule thing. I currently have no plans of hauling anything on top but I can see the value of having it up there for the future and I am not familar with either system.
#5 Awning. would you guys buy an awning? do you use them? are they a pain?
#6 Steps. I assume if I get a boat rack I need steps.
#7 lighting upgrade. are they really better?
#8 seating configuration. I understand they now offer a dinette setup, is this better than the couch?
#9 solar. I assume this is if you dont run your truck for a certain amount of time?
#10 hot water with outside shower. this sounds like a great option.
Any advise or insight you can give me would be greatly appreciated as I am definetly a greenhorn.
Thanks
Dean

I looked at the 1 in sl as well and have just ordered one.
I went through the same thoughts and have had a fwc in the past. IMO
#1 go with the extended
#2 i had cable on my last but went with jacks on this one
#3 Fantastic fan is a must have
#4 I went with tracks (options are good to keep open)
#5 awning must have
#6 steps no
#7 lighting any time you can get more light with less draw must have
#8 dinette= more floor space in a small camper = must have
#9 solar I'm waiting re: need it in winter but it won't do much
#10 hot water & shower to be sure must have

This is how I went and a few other options the wife is just finding out about.:rolleyes:

Welcome. You'll find lots of info here. My $0.02:

#1 extended cabover. is bigger better? YES
#2 Camper jacks. do I get the kind that are mounted on the camper or the cable ones. Has anyone ever ripped one of the side of there camper. MOUNTED RICO's
#3 Fantastic fan. does this thing work. I recently moved to Idaho and it is hot here in the summer. YES, you'll like the fan.
#4 Boat rack. do I go with their rack or this Thule thing. I currently have no plans of hauling anything on top but I can see the value of having it up there for the future and I am not familar with either system. IF YOU DON'T PLAN ON USING IT, I'D DO NOTHING OR GO WITH THE BOAT RACK
#5 Awning. would you guys buy an awning? do you use them? are they a pain? PEOPLE HERE LIKE 'EM. I don't have one, but search for awning and you'll find lots of info.
#6 Steps. I assume if I get a boat rack I need steps. YEP
#7 lighting upgrade. are they really better? NO IDEA- I installed LED's after the fact; inexpensive and easy
#8 seating configuration. I understand they now offer a dinette setup, is this better than the couch? PEOPLE SEEM TO THINK SO
#9 solar. I assume this is if you dont run your truck for a certain amount of time? YEP. YOU CAN PROBABLY LAST 2-3 days w/o solar.
#10 hot water with outside shower. this sounds like a great option.
THIS IS NICE- I'm using a solar shower that I bought for $30. Its a little awkward to mount high enough, so if FWC has a nice outside rig, might be nice.
[/QUOTE]

1. Yes bigger the bed the better
2. Get the four corner jacks safer to load and unload camper
3. One fan is good two is better
4. Get the Thule rack I will use it for a solar panel plus they have a lot of accessories.
5. Awning yes easy to use.
6. No opinion.
7. No need to up grade buy LED bulb replacements.
8. I would get the dinette the couch blocks the window too much.
9. Solar is good get it pre wired so you could add later.
10. You could add an attachment to the faucet inside and shower inside. I have the outside shower but only use it in the summer.
11. get an Engel refer or one of the three way refers with a freezer like a Norcold DC051?
I guess you will decide what you want to pay for. IMHO this is what I would get. PS you don’t live near the coast so stainless fasteners are not needed. Have fun you will wish you got one sooner I know I should have. Terry

Get it all and add more on your own.
Just research some of the tech items our forum members install .The items keep getting more tech and creative.
enjoy your new home in the back of your truck.

Welcome. Congrats on the decision. I know how it feels as I looked for a good 3 months and saw a number of units sell before I could even pick up the phone. Wanting to CAMP rather than peruse craigslist endlessly...we just bought a new one and stopped the madness.

1. Extended bed...Yes
2. Jacks...bought em but haven't used em once
3. Fan works great.
4. skipped the racks. Ride in the back at 75 and then tell me what you think!
5.Skipped the old man awning
6. bought a step made out of plastic. $75. Sits right inside the door
7. Bought floros but usually use a small flashlight and bounce it off the walls
8. Couch sucks. Dinette? Looks like the sacrifice of an already crappy bed for a space only a midget or two could really enjoy (I'm 6'3" and shrinking). And WOW...that metal hardware exposure "bed down" looks like a headache/trip to the ER for someone's kid to me. (I like my bed mod!)
9. Solar= Peace of Mind here. My battery is charged all the time....
10. Haven't used the shower..but we'll get naked out there one of these days
11. fridge/freezer...big YES here.

have fun putting it all together. Get what ya want. you won't be doing this again for awhile..if ever.

mtn

Ah, well....

The problem: everyone camps different.

• The extended cab over is worth it if only for resale. Also, I think it looks better.
  • I think it's easier to switch from mechanical jacks to cable. But why would you? I think the mechanicals are safer?
  • I have twin fantastic fans. This was an easy choice. Glad I made it.
  • The boat rack/yak tracks are easy enough to add later. You can, and maybe should, save money here.
  • The rear steps/ladder is worth every penny for the extra entry/exit hand holds. Buy this option.
  • I think the fluorescent "upgrade" is a mistake. LED's are a better mod and the incandescents will be easier to replace if something goes wrong on the road. Cheaper, too.
  • My awning is a bit of a PITA to deploy and return, but it sure is nice to sit under it safe from the rain or sun. Easy enough to add later, though.
  • Solar: at least get the pre-wire. For me, in sunny AZ, this should be a no-brainer... But it is an expensive, potentially unnecessary option.
  • Hot water: which are you going to want more: the storage, or hot water? There isn't a lot of storage to begin with...
  • The dinette looks cool. How big is your entourage? This is a tough choice, the dinette has nice seating for 2, but poor storage for long items.
  • ATC builds very similar campers. I really like ATC's customer service and suggest you consider their product also.
I've only had my camper for a little while, so take my advice with a grain of salt.

Good advice, I just got my camper so I've only got input on the first item. For sure get the extended cab bed it much more versatile. For perpendicular sleeping unextended its a 48" standard bed and the 16" slide is a queen. However you also have the option to have it modified with a longer slide out to have a parallel sleeping king. Much more versatility and resale potential with the extended cab.

Another Newbie here

CubDriver wrote:
I have been searching the used market and not much is availible, I did have the opportunity to purchase an 06 model in Salt Lake and an 03 model in Boise
but I didnt react fast enough and they both sold out from underneath me.(actually to be honest, I thought we were in a recession and I made low ball offers and both times someone else paid full asking price). So unless something else comes up I have decided to order a new one.

Hi Cub, I'm the guy who bought the SLC Hawk at first sight. We like you, had been looking for awhile and watched as every one got bought up quickly. I had the same thought, "it's a recession, everybody will be dumping these for pennies on the dollar". Wrong!

An economist I heard interviewed the other day said that no matter what the economy is doing, certain goods or services will all ways be sought after. Those items will always command top dollar because of tight availability. I guess this is one of those items. Owners might be thinking, "Well, if the sh*t really hits the fan, I will just live in my FWC!" I know I have.

Sorry you didn't get my Hawk but good luck with your new one. It will be awesome to have it set up exactly like you want it. This one was designed for a Ford Super Duty, (I think) so on my Tundra, the gap between the truck cab and the bed extension is pretty big. It would be nice if it fit closer but when buying used you can't complain. Oh well, there's a lot more head room when the tops down.

I think the extended bed is a must and so does my wife. This was the most important extra for us since we have a dog in the camper with us. The bed is great for one of us to kick back on while the dog hogs the couch. Also the slide does not intrude as far into the camper at night keeping it more open. One last advantage is the thicker 4 inch foam mattress as opposed to 2 inches.

I have no opinion on the other options since we have yet to use them, but I would like Yakima tracks on the roof.

Good Luck!
Cheers,

Kevin

Whats an ATC

Thanks again for all of the advice, Congrats on the new camper Kevin it sounds like a great unit. I guess I should check into these ATC campers before I buy huh? I havent done much research yet but it sounds like a comparable unit. I think I will go to the website right now and check it out.
Dean

Hey Clubdriver

you wrote:

>

Most people are ordering this option.
Thicker matteress.
Looks better on the truck.
Much better to have the extended bed with the Hawk Model for inside space.
(slider portion of bed won't be so far over the cabinets inside at night)

>

4 corner mechanical camper jacks are usually best.
They are easily removable. You don't have to have them on all the time.

>

Yes, the first things I added to my camper was the furnace (on my old Grandby) and the fantastic vent fan to our six-pac. Best items I can think of for the camper. Most customers want to be warm in the winter and cool in the summer.

>

the aluminum baot / luggage rack is a good choice if you have no special carryling needs. This rack is less $$ and allows for some flexibility as what you can carry on it.

>

Nice option to have. If price is a major concern, you could probably do without this. But if you have the funds and you like to do alot of remote camping, the awing can be a very nice option to have.

>

rear wall steps are nice, but not always necessary.
especially if you have no special items you need to carry on the roof.
but they do work well for tieing stuff to at the campground or hanging towels from, etc.

>

Fluro. lights are nice, they put out more / brighter light over the incandescent light, but they use about the same amount of power. If you want light that doesn't get as hot or you want more light in the camper, it could be a nice addition.

>

so far, couples seem to really like the dinette with 2 seats facing each other. But if you need more sleeping space, this design doesn't offer much in the way of a lower couch bed (very narrow). But for couples this is usually OK. (approx. 74" long x 20" wide). The 2 seats facing each other is very functional.

If you have kids or need more sleeping space, the regular couch will offer more seating space and sleeping space. (approx. 74" long x 35" wide).

>

solar is nice, but pricey
might be cheaper to go with dual batteries instead
(depending on your circumstances)

>

Nice option.
We can install the "outside shower only for approx. $ 150.00, if you don't have a need for hot water and are trying to keep the cost down. But most customers seem to like the hot water option as well.

I hope this, along with the other member posting, will help you in your decesion.

let me know if you have any other questions.

I would be glad to help.

:)

I"d go with the fluorescent lights. LED's just arent' there yet. Unless you do extreme length trips and need to save every milliamp you can.

Fan, definitely. Extra length cabover? I don't need it but I suppose most couples would find it nicer. Also the extra shade over the truck helps keep the interior cooler in the summer.

Definitely make sure everything is prewired even if you don't plan on adding solar or whatever right now. I think they're doing that anyways now.

Hot water heater? I don't use mine much, but I still think its going to be real nice in the future. Weekend trips I don't worry much about showering, but as I get to take longer trips I think I"ll use it much more.

Awning I wish I had. I have portable shade but its one more thing to have to toss in and take up space and sometimes gets left behind on the short trips. I'll add that on eventually.

Steps? Why not. If you wind up doing it yourself later you have to worry about getting them lined up with frame.

Solar is nice but pricey. Depends on the length of the trips you take. With three batteries (two in the truck, one in the camper) I can camp for a week with no problems, but I'm not blasting the stereo, running the hair dryer etc.

09 Dodge fit

Stan
Are there any issues installing one of your Hawks in an 09 Dodge Crew 1500?
The new bed length of these is 5' 7" , Am I correct in assuming that the camper hangs out the back of the truck about 12 inches? If a person would order one of these today when could he expect delivery?
Thanks
Dean

Extended cab-over bed is a must.

My used shell model came without corner jack mounts and with cable jacks and I've grown to love them. I like the look and increased rearward visibility without the corner pieces and I rarely take the camper off so cables are fine for me.

As for roof racks you might be surprised how hard it is to pop the top with anything on the roof. After driving behind my rig once on a washboard road with a light load on top I'll never put anything on top again. The top was flexing up and down at least 3-4 inches.

I have an 05 Dodge and my 05 shell model Hawk hangs out the back a few inches. It doesn't look very clean but at least I get a little more floor space. It sounds like your new Dodge has an even shorter bed.

Hamm
you bought a shell model, did you create your own interior or how does that work?
No kidding about the flexing of the roof with a load huh? I currently have nothing that I would carry on top of mine but I was thinking of the future.
In 09 Dodge now offers a crew model as well as their Quad model and they shortened, the bed to allow for more cab room I guess. I assume there is no problem with the camper sticking out back just looks funny?
Dean

Hey Dean

We can get a new order started with a 15% deposit (Visa, Mastercard, or mail us a check).

It will take about 4 or 5 weeks to get a new camper built for you (maybe sooner).

There should be no problem with putting a Hawk on an 09' Dodge Ram 1500.

Attached are some sample pictures of what the Hawk Model looks like on similar trucks with the 5.5' - 5.8' beds.

The camper sticks out a little, but really no big deal.

You can take the tail gate off the truck, or you can leave the tail gate on the truck in the lowered position.

Just let me know if you have any other questions.

Thanks

:)

===============================================

Stan
Are there any issues installing one of your Hawks in an 09 Dodge Crew 1500?
The new bed length of these is 5' 7" , Am I correct in assuming that the camper hangs out the back of the truck about 12 inches? If a person would order one of these today when could he expect delivery?
Thanks
Dean

Attachments

• Chevy (crewcab) 2007 with Hawk #1.JPG
    Chevy (crewcab) 2007 with Hawk #1.JPG
    90.2 KB · Views: 176
  • Chevy (crewcab) 2007 with Hawk #2.JPG
    Chevy (crewcab) 2007 with Hawk #2.JPG
    87.2 KB · Views: 176
  • Ford F-150 SuperCrew with Hawk.JPG
    Ford F-150 SuperCrew with Hawk.JPG
    61.7 KB · Views: 174