New guy with introduction. (sorta long)

Rockcod

Hello all, long time reader, first time poster. I started to put together my "just retired, need a better camping rig" plan about 1.5 years ago. Thinking back to the 80s and 90's , I decided I would upgrade to a new 2014 F150 Fx4, last of the kind it was, steel body and all. I loved his truck, smooth and with plenty of get up and go. Next was a fiberglass shell, Snugtop Cab high, color match, loved it also. Found the original 80's style carpet kit, same guy still putting them together in So Cal. Shortly thereafter it all started to go south. The Snugtop leaked like a pasta colander , both side windows. Ok no worries lifetime warranty, all good , sent it back, 3 months later it was back on my truck, repainted and repaired, ha. Sure. First rain, 1 week later, w/o a doubt flooded in the very first rain. I requested a new unit, took 3 weeks to be approved, but ok I win. 3 months later, I exchanged it, I just dealt with the wet inside as well as I could. Number 3 looked poorly painted and you bet, leaked like a sinking boat, I have a video, but won't bore anyone who is still following my introduction :) . So refund, they promised new window design was on the drawing board and as soon as they had them,no charge to replace,sorry, goodbye, never again. I had a carpet kit, a Yakima Mega rack, AND a pair of Thule Aero bars, and nothing to put them on. I could care less, to me that company folded up and is gone. This took from May of 2015 to March of this year to evolve. Sunny days, I discovered WTW and started reading, took a drive to Sacramento and met Jeff. Got a quote, I am thinking Ocelot, what a great recovery this can be. Snoopy dance... If I could. Now this could explain the payload choice on my f150 , 1320 lbs, I only needed maybe 650/700 with the shell. Jeff tells me with my options, near 1050 lbs,, I think he said wet, though not sure. To close for me to get comfy with. I have read both WTW and Expedition Portal, all I could find, and still not sure how to safely with reliability increase my payload 4 to 500 lbs. I would lose some dough if I had to trade up, so I come here looking for some honest & positive input. That pos snugtop cost me a year of comfort. And more grief than I ever want again. What I missed when I decided on the shell was, tall truck bed, cab high shell ,tiny window to crawl (pour)l in and out of, and I am a shorter, 165 lb guy. Also, the foam on the carpet kit just killed me to sleep on. Apologies for the camper shell bio, but i feel better for it. Thanks for listening, I am moving up !!!
Rock

Welcome Rock! Your story could be mine except I found this site while I was researching campers. I don't have mine yet but with all the great help I have gotten I have no doubt I will be good to go when I do. You will enjoy these folks and get honest answers to your questions. Glad to have on board even if you are a bit soggy :)

Welcome Rock.You have come to the right place for info.
I don't think,IMO, you need to worry much about the weight issue.
Most of us are over the specks anyway.
I have a ATC Bobcat on a 02 Tundra AC with Firestone air bags.
Have hauled the camper close to 50K miles and all works well.
There is a ton of info about GVW in some threads that you can search and read,to help you with your truck/camper combo.
These campers are great,small with tight storage issues but most of the stuff you would carry in a larger rig you don't need anyway.
Think like a "backpacker" when you load up.
Have fun with your build with Marty and Jeff.great guys to work with.
Frank

Here's a pic of my ATC Bobcat on delivery day (2014). I've since removed the jacks and built the interior shell. I'm a little over 1,000 lbs on a Toyota Tacoma and I have Firestone Ride-Rite Airbags. I've had no problems at all with the extra weight and I'm managing to get 14 mpg with the camper on.

I can't say enough good about my ATC. If I wrecked it today, I'd order another one the next day!

ATC Rear View.jpg

Thanks for the input everyone,your Bobcat looks great GroovyD. I am pretty excited for this to unfold. I motorcycle camped for several years, and still do occasionally,so minimal is/was in my plan. Or actually, I will be camping in grand style, stove/heat/fridge, I also added solar to my quote. I will start another thread to help decide my chosen options. Is this the best location on WTW ? I found a warning about using Firestone ride rites with Daystar cradles, it was from Firestone and issued in 2014, I couldn't find any follow up, but I like the sound of better articulation Daystar claims. Step one, E rated tires. I was sold on the BFG KO2's but perhaps there is a better option now that my payload has increased from 500 to 1000 ish or more. No OME suspension for us F150 guys, I was originally sold on Fox 2.0 coil overs . Bilstien is on the cusp of a shock for the 2014 f150, but not yet out. I probably don't need shocks just yet, but figuring it out ahead suits me well. I do plan on unloading camper and exploring from a base camp. Excercising trout in the Sierras, or any location for that matter, then releasing most is also a pastime..
One dissapointment so far, NO swing out rear bumper for us f150 owners., though adding weight needs to be taken into consideration all along the way. Think minimal. I must try that. :)

If you are concerned about weight then order a shell with the bare minimum options you are sure you need. With our Eagle we got it bare and added a catalytic heater, solar and a 12v compressor cooler. We almost never cook inside, even in winter. If you've motorcycle camped then you know how to pack light. I consider truck camping to be like backpacking with a comfy bed and cold beer. Take only the essentials, I know the temptation is to throw everything in because you've got the room. Have fun.

For another data point:

I have a FWC Grandby with custom build-out; refrigerator, solar, 120 lbs batteries. With all my hiking gear, recovery stuff, tools, 2 weeks food and 15 gallons of water it tips the scales at 1250 lbs.

jim

Thanks for the input and sharing your own perspective, it really helps. I was probably a little over concerned about the weight but I talked to Scott @ Deaver springs and worse case scenario is 1000 lb spring pack, Firestone air bags and a sway bar.not sure if they do a 500 lb pack. He said with the truck unloaded it wouldn't sit like a 1/4 mile drag car and the ride wouldn't be to crazy, a trade off of course. Who knows I may not ever take it off. I would feel very safe and in control with my max payload projected to be NO more than 1500 /1600 lbs. This is with room for a smallish boat and trailer tongue weight. That I may never do, but have the option. I loved the motorcycle camping, but getting off the ground is a must. Plus I never cooked much , had no cold beer without an effort ,and it really sucks in the rain .I guess part of retiring is learning how to plan all the options available. My biggest step now is to finish the home projects, haha, I have been on that for 20 years, but now it is time for the last punch list. I am actually thinking about picking up the ATC and banging the for sale sign in front at the same time. Might be watching to much Alaska lifestyle on Nat Geo, but downsizing is a great thought. Is it even possible to live in this country without an address ? Best thing of all, blood pressure is great now, and any ailments are unknown. Thanks for the opinions.

I've upgraded the springs on several vehicles over the years. I like that approach if needed. Mainly because once it is done it's out of sight out of mind. The ride may be stiffer unloaded but there is nothing extra that needs to be maintained or checked on.

Leaf springs are old tech but there is new tech to them. There are ways to make them hold more weight and even ride better than stock at the same time. Going to more and thinner leaves is just one way. Tapered leaves and other tricks can help as well. Places like Deaver know them all. That's one of the things that makes OME so popular. Load capacity and a good ride at the same time.

Best of luck on this new stage of fun in life. I'm kinda in the same place myself.

Good to hear the tech has improved even if marginally. No doubt other components wear faster with added weight, but without something I would be concerned. As I read post after post through out the web, I started to think it wasn't a good idea, nothing is perfect, but springs will give me comfort.
Thanks Squatch, same best of luck wishes to you also, it was a pretty good run while I worked, and I look forward to this stage to be the best.

Back
Top Bottom