New Hawk Owner - Solar Panel Charger Question

Aqualunger

Hi,

I've been reading this forum for a bit to learn about FWCs and actually just picked up our Hawk yesterday. We are first time owners and trying to learn everything. One question I have is on the solar panel charger LCD display. We have 2, 12v batteries in the camper and both should be fully charged. The battery charge meter shows fully charged. However the LCD panel tells me we only have 2 amp hours. So I'm curious how this display works. Currently we have it plugged into shore power for storage and the panel reads the following:

Bat 1 (not sure if you can switch to battery 2)
I don't see the icon for the solar panels, I assume because it's inside.
First reading - 14.7v
Second reading - 0.0 amps (it's inside so no sun)
Third reading - 2.0 amp hours.

I would have expected the third reading to be 30 or 60 hours, I would have also expected the first reading not be higher than 12v. I probably don't understand something on how this works. Any one have any ideas what on what I don't understand or what may be going on?

I saw the other thread on this but we currently have it plugged in to shore power for storage. Is this ok for long term storage (2-3 months)?

Thanks.

First reading is current voltage. Second reading is how much charge is currently coming in. Third reading is how much power was stored during the last charge cycle.

As far as voltage goes, it is normal to see well above 12.0 V.

Thanks abqbw, thats helpful. I was thinking the third reading was how many amp hours you had remaining, not how many you got on the last charge cycle. Thanks.

Regarding BT1 on your display: the Zamp ZS-30A and the ZS-30AD controllers share the same display, BT1 on the ZS-30A display has no function. Zamp should probably mention this in the -30A manual.

Cross posting this from another thread...

Just checked my 2011 Hawk with Iota factory charger, solar panel, and two (79 AHr each) AGM battery bank. My Hawk is sitting under a carport with a tall roof for big rigs. Resting charge was 13.35 volts. We have had mostly cloudy and foggy weather lately. I am happy with the state of charge I think. Comments?

Even with high roofs, your solar panels could be putting out enough voltage to give a misleadingly high resting voltage. Look at the current being produced and you will likely find very low current. There is insufficient solar power to actually do much charging.

Look at the voltage in the dark after several hours of no sunlight to get a more accurate resting voltage. It's more accurate to disconnect the battery and let it sit for 24 hrs or more before measuring resting voltage, but reading after sitting several hours in the dark will give a better reading than while light still falls on the panel. Oh, yeah. Be sure that the batteries are not getting charged by your truck or shore power during those resting hours.

Paul

PaulT said:
Even with high roofs, your solar panels could be putting out enough voltage to give a misleadingly high resting voltage. Look at the current being produced and you will likely find very low current. There is insufficient solar power to actually do much charging.

Look at the voltage in the dark after several hours of no sunlight to get a more accurate resting voltage. It's more accurate to disconnect the battery and let it sit for 24 hrs or more before measuring resting voltage, but reading after sitting several hours in the dark will give a better reading than while light still falls on the panel. Oh, yeah. Be sure that the batteries are not getting charged by your truck or shore power during those resting hours.

Paul
So it sounds like I should take my batteries home and put them on a trickle charger during the winter...
There is no 110V available at my storage unfortunately.

If you don't want the work of handling heavy batteries back and forth to home, a small portable panel without charger controller plugged into the rear solar socket, mounted in the clear angled at 45 Degrees and aimed South should keep your batteries fine during storage.

Paul

Just learning about all the ins and outs of this camper, so please forgive my ignorance...where might I find the "rear solar socket" on the typical 2011 Hawk with roll over couch floor plan? We have the larger 3 way fridge, furnace, and water heater options installed if that helps.

That is an SAE surface plug. Most solar stores and FWC carrys. Here is a link to Amazon.

714d-33TnEL._SL1500_.jpg

Maybe this will help. We store our Grandby covered. Once a month I plug in the portable solar panel to charge the batteries. It is usually at 12.5 to 12.6 after 4-6 weeks. All power is turned off in the camper. We have 2 batteries.

Rivermon said:
Winter storage for batteries.
I’m trying to put this in perspective. Can I use this solar charger https://www.amazon.com/Sunway-Solar-Maintainer-Motorcycle-Snowmobile/dp/B06WP95W51/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1512146346&sr=8-6&keywords=small+portable+solar+panel wired to plug into the receptical above? Is that a preferred method for winter storage over plugging into shore power?
That panel listed is either 1.5 or 3 watts. It's not big enough to do a lot of good as a battery maintainer for a camper. Determine what loads are on your batteries like propane/CO detectors and size a battery maintainer accordingly.

If you have a an Iota power converter in your Hawk, use shore power. Check to be sure you have the IQ4 feature installed. If not, they cost about $25 and just plug into the Iota.
https://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=iota+iq4&tag=googhydr-20&index=aps&hvadid=177628283922&hvpos=1t1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=17527356337078498188&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=e&hvdev=t&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9032953&hvtargid=kwd-31864075551&ref=pd_sl_2eusym7xge_e
Paul

Based on the recommendation of another poster, I bought one of these:

https://no.co/g7200

Works really well. I live in WY and I wanted to trickle charge the batteries during the winter months. I have 2 80Ah deep cycle batteries (AGM) connected in parallel.

I also have the Noco G7200. I love that I can keep it connected to the batteries (which are hard to get to in the swift) then test/top them up with the included quick connect. Works like a champ.

Back
Top Bottom