New Hawk Quirks

Jzack605

Advanced Member
Just picked up a new Hawk for my ‘19 Tundra. Absolutely love it and had a few good night in it in NH and on the beach already. However it does have a few quirks that I’m honestly a little surprised about given the price point and spartan reputation. First is the door latch will rotate and prevent it from closing. Thinking I’ll put in a few washers to allow it to tighten down more, but would love to figure out a gasket type deal if that was possible.

Second one, and perhaps more alarming, is these two bubbles under the bed. It seems the adhesive is coming undone.

I plan on following up on both of these but figured I’d see what people here think as well.

I'm not sure what you mean about the lock problem, but that bubbling is definitely a warranty issue and most likely the lock as well. Reach out to your dealer. Bummer about the inconvenience this will cause.

Brand new camper. Just left a message with their service department. Issue is the dealers are far from me and hunting season is right around the corner which I got specifically for.

Jzack605 said:
Brand new camper. Just left a message with their service department. Issue is the dealers are far from me and hunting season is right around the corner which I got specifically for.
Welcome to the cult.
They should take care of it.I would think that once you start the warranty issue the clock stops ticking,you would think.
Good luck.Stay on top and don't let them not take care of your problems.
Frank

Borrowing this thread… I noticed bubbles like that on our camper last week too. And I can find no sign of water intrusion that might have caused it. Puzzling and disconcerting for a decade old camper, never mind a brand new one. I am very curious if anyone has noticed similar bubbling?

Just got off the phone with them and it’s covered under warranty as expected. They will replace the door and entire board. Issue is distance and scheduling all of this. Pretty flexible given the circumstances.

In the meantime I got the ok to do a short term fix to keep using it. I’m thinking I will make a small pin hole and put a flat piece of wood under it for a day or two and see if it will adhere again, at least temporarily, to keep it from getting worse. Now I ask the hive mind, is it worth trying to inject some kind of adhesive? Honestly if it was a permanent fix I’d be fine with it if it means not sending my camper all the way back to the west coast from the NE.

Vic Harder said:
Borrowing this thread… I noticed bubbles like that on our camper last week too. And I can find no sign of water intrusion that might have caused it. Puzzling and disconcerting for a decade old camper, never mind a brand new one. I am very curious if anyone has noticed similar bubbling?
Our little buddy, Barking Spider, had similar bubbling occur on his 2005 FWC Hawk years ago. It ripped open in the wind and peeled back. He pulled away all loose material, sanded the surface, and painted with white paint. Not the most eloquent fix, but it has held up for years.

Vic Harder said:
If my wayback machine is working, I think I recall one or two reports over the years. In your case, I think it’s worth a call to Marty.

Have you checked below the mattress to see if there is any evidence on the top of the board?

It took 15 years but I eventually got some bubbling and did the repair like barking spider. Mine also seems to be holding up just fine.

craig333 said:
It took 15 years but I eventually got some bubbling and did the repair like barking spider. Mine also seems to be holding up just fine.
How did you repair it?

Ouroboros said:
I bought a Hawk in 2021. I was amazed at the lack of quality control.
My 2021 Grandby had a few cosmetic issues, but nothing too serious. They replaced the one thing I requested.

craig333 said:
Thanks folks, good to know it is mostly cosmetic at this point, and not evidence of nasty water intrusion.

So FWC made everything right. The bubbling I was compensated with by a thermal pack, it’s nice not having to put up my DIY every time I need it, which is a lot. And I wasn’t crazy about having to go to a dealer a minimum of four hours away.

I’ll probably DIY fix the bubbling at some point. Any suggestions? I’m thinking rhino line that spot, or maybe the whole under board? Also could get the material and either replace the section or maybe the whole thing?

Hmmmm...any clues or determinations why the bubbles occurred? Did FWC address the why? I may have missed that...

Wallowa said:
Hmmmm...any clues or determinations why the bubbles occurred? Did FWC address the why? I may have missed that...
I don’t think I updated that. Not enough glue during installation which happened to a few campers. They are fixing them by replacing it with diamond plating. It’s purely aesthetic. being tucked away like it is and out of sight I was fine with the thermal pack compensation instead of a long trip for a days worth of repair.

Jzack605 said:
I don’t think I updated that. Not enough glue during installation which happened to a few campers. They are fixing them by replacing it with diamond plating. It’s purely aesthetic. being tucked away like it is and out of sight I was fine with the thermal pack compensation instead of a long trip for a days worth of repair.
Thanks...adhesive failed. Not good advertisement for FWC.

Not steel diamond plating? Way heavy.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom