New hawks need info on shower gray H2O dispersal/ travel routes etc.

SCAROLINAHAWK

Driving from SC to CA to p.u. HAWK top of Nov. Retiring the tent. Our plan, not planned, is to then spend 3 months out West doing mostly remote camping. Hmmm.....DV doesn't look so great right now nor do those mudslides!!!

Thanks to all who contribute to site. Incredibly helpful in planning our HAWK and giving me the nudge. I loved the tent and for me packing it up wet was the only issue. Husband was always on board for FWC.
This extends our season and those trip reports....wow.

QUESTIONS:
SHOWER: 1 Do you just let the shower water flow on ground? We will hit camp grounds rarely.
2. We plan to use shower where the temps will at times drop below freezing at night, any problems with hoses freezing over night doing this?
3. Initial flush of H2O system any place near factory? Necessary?

ANY OTHER TIPS FOR NEWBIES?

TRAVEL: VEGAS TO WOODLAND should we take the low road or is Carson City route possible? Like to avoid Bakersfield. We have new FORD F150 4X4 off road.

Travel: Probably head up the Coast for a few weeks or so weather permitting. Any suggestions?
Never been to Yellowstone/Yosemite. Know it will be cold but is it lovely there in Winter?
Then desert SW to find warmer camp spots. Love, to hike!!!
Hope we see you out there. Will contribute to bakeries etc. Thanks, Daygreeter

For the shower we either put a tarp down or one of the front floor mats from the truck. We also carry a couple of 20 gallon plastic containers. They can also be used if your really worried about water on the ground near the camper. If the outside air temp is freezing make sure you remove the outside shower hose after each use. It will freeze in place. Flush the water system before use. Either see if the factory will do it, for a cost, or find a place. We always filter water before it goes into the tank with a 5 micron RV water filter.

I-80, Hwy 50, & Hwy 88 should be usable depending on weather. The passes further south are normally closed in the winter, again depending on when the snow starts.

We did DV last winter, but usually go to the Mule Mountain LTVA / Houser Geode Bed area west of Blythe. Thinking of exploring the Mojave Reserve this winter. If you're heading south, take Hwy-1 as far south as you want. I'd suggest starting in Jenner by the Sea where the Russian River meets the ocean - Bodega Bay, Tomales Bay, Stinson Beach, Mill Valley, Marin Headlands all north of the Golden Gate. South of San Francisco, Half Moon Bay, Santa Cruz/ Capitola, Monterey/Pacific Grove/Carmel, Big Sur, Hearst Castle, Morro Bay, Montana De Oro, Central Coast wine country in Paso Robles, San Luis Obispo. Further south Santa Barbara, Carpenteria, Ventura and the beaches starting at Huntington all the way to San Diego. Have fun.

SCAROLINAHAWK said:
TRAVEL: VEGAS TO WOODLAND should we take the low road or is Carson City route possible? Like to avoid Bakersfield. We have new FORD F150 4X4 off road.
If at all possible, take the northern route with 395 along the eastern escarpment of the Sierra Nevada the best. Early November, you want to pay attention to weather and highway conditions. In good weather it is an easy road to drive.

Nevada Roads

California Roads

Yosemite's Tioga Pass - 120

Sonora Pass - 108

Ebbetts Pass - 4

Monitor Pass - 89

all close for the winter with the first big storms

Carson Pass - 88

Echo Summit - 50

Donner Pass - Interstate 80

are open year round but may be closed during storm cycles and frequently have chain requirements during storms.

80 is the easiest to drive and is freeway, 50 is 2 lane but easy, 88 is highest and spectacular at the top. 50, if you come up from Carson City, gives you a view of Lake Tahoe.

Sections of 395 can also have chain restrictions or be closed during storms. In poor weather, our alternate route is highway 95 in Nevada - wide open, barren, arid. We avoid the crowds of California's Central Valley at all costs.

Coming out to California and not going through Bakersfield? Doesn't seem right. Bakersfield has the best restaurant in the world and the best country music came out of Bakersfield...where else can see Bakersfield sound?

Thanks you 3. All good road info for flatlanders.
We will probably be in the Mojave at some point as well. Spent a few nights there and needs further exploration.

If you like old time country, try FURNACE MOUNTAIN. Dave is an amazing fiddler. Their first CD, FLY THE RIVER, has some very sweet tunes.

We always end up in Bakersfield somehow, so what is the restaurant?
There is the best barbecue place in Carlsbad, whose name I will search for, and a Mexican restaurant in
Torrey(shares space with hotel) also excellent.

If you spot us honk. If you catch us, stop in for a refresco.
Like to hike so may meet you on a trail.

daygreeter

Woolgrower's (Basque) in Bakersfield. Best restaurant in the entire world, and they have French fries.

Question for you. Don't you have to pay California sales tax if you buy it in California? How about picking it up in Oregon and saving a couple bucks?

ski3pin said:
If at all possible, take the northern route with 395 along the eastern escarpment of the Sierra Nevada the best. Early November, you want to pay attention to weather and highway conditions. In good weather it is an easy road to drive.

Nevada Roads

California Roads

Yosemite's Tioga Pass - 120

Sonora Pass - 108

Ebbetts Pass - 4

Monitor Pass - 89

all close for the winter with the first big storms

Carson Pass - 88

Echo Summit - 50

Donner Pass - Interstate 80

are open year round but may be closed during storm cycles and frequently have chain requirements during storms.

80 is the easiest to drive and is freeway, 50 is 2 lane but easy, 88 is highest and spectacular at the top. 50, if you come up from Carson City, gives you a view of Lake Tahoe.

Sections of 395 can also have chain restrictions or be closed during storms. In poor weather, our alternate route is highway 95 in Nevada - wide open, barren, arid. We avoid the crowds of California's Central Valley at all costs.
Good list and I concur with this advice about roads.

You can boondock camp anywhere around Mono Lake (away from the shore), which is a great place to visit, but it can get cold.

For the Shower ....

I really only use the outdoor shower. I use either my sand tracks or the inside shower grate to stand on. I do use a roll up hose (from Camperworld) to divert sink water away from the truck, I have a second hose I can use for the inside shower as well.

I do not use my camper water supply for drinking - I carry bottled water, I think most people do. I add a water storage drops (sodium hypochlorite) each time I fill up and drain it completely when not using it.

Most of the USFS Campgrounds in the northern Sierras are now closed, but you can still find a few that are open. It is getting cold in the high country - it was in the 40s this weekend in Lassen.

There is a year round campground at Lava Beds National Monument (N.E. Cal) which I really like in the winter.

Great campgrounds on the Northern Coast in Mendocino and Humboldt Counties - Gold Beach is worth visiting if open. Suggest Bald Hills Road as a good drive if you are in the Redwood N.P. area.

You want to have a plan for filling your propane tanks. They come empty and "should" be purged before you use them, although it may not be that big a deal according to some. I would go to Camping World in Vacaville to get propane and see if they can purge them for you (http://www.campingworld.com/stores/ca/vacaville/241/). You can also get any other RV knicknacks there.

Don't expect the FWC wiring to fully charge the camper batteries. On newer trucks the alternators is controlled by the vehicle computer and does not put out enough volts to fully charge the batteries - especially with the gauge of wire FWC uses. - See http://jcwnapa.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/TE_0614_TE1.pdf for more info. If you want to boondock bring a genny.

Enjoy your camper.

Back
Top Bottom