New member: How bad do I need...

Mark D

Hey, we're completely new to the camper scene, but experienced, long time tent campers. Our Kestrel model is supposed to arrive some time in October. Stan at FWC has been our hero on getting just what we need and he's not afraid to offer opinions too, not just a sales guy trying to make more money.

We intend to use this camper year round. Take it to the mountain in WA for snowboarding and then too in the hot weather during the summer (for two months). That said, and knowing that we live not only with a complete four seasons, but also with a ton of wet weather, we're wondering...

How bad to we need a built in ceiling fan? Been going around about this one. Costs add up quickly when you start justifying ANOTHER option here and there, and the fan is not one we ordered. Is that doable with our situation? we are going to run a portable cell battery operated fan. and we figured just opening the vent and having air flow would be sufficient. Is that your experience? Need feedback on this one.

Also, how bad do we need the arctic pack? We snowboard every weekend. but the temp doesn't usually get below 20 degrees. feedback? Thanks.

P.S. this website rocks.

Fan...

First, welcome aboard. I think you will love your new camper.

I have a '91 vintage Eagle shell and I am definately going to install a vent fan. I have put many many miles and nights in and with this camper including some very wet and hot nights in the tropics. I cannot speak to cold weather camping in it since I avoid it like the plague...raised in early life in Seattle, ten years in Eugene, OR and 22 years in Alaska have taken any humor out of being cold and wet....but some others will chime in. Both topics...vent fans and liners have been covered fairly extensively in other threads which I am sure you can turn up if you search a bit. Check out the conversations on what options folks like and don't like. For instance after buying a porti-potti and having it along for the first time for this trip, we decided to pitch it and go back to the sailboat method of a bucket with bags and a seat. It is for emergency use in our case anyway....are you reading this Ben??? You were absolutely right! I hate it.

I am currently on a trip that took me through your neck of the woods...mostly Bremerton and Port Townsend and the weather was unbelievably beautiful! We were able to camp at Solduc Hot springs and drive up to Hurricane in the full sun and it was outstanding. I just love the PNW when it does that!
Brian

options, options...

Hi Mark,

Welcome to the forum. We just returned from a week in Yellowstone today. First night we were there it got down to 18 degrees. We do not have a the arctic pack but we do have the heater. With the heater on at the lowest setting, it tends to cycle on and off fairly often at that temp, but we stay comfy in our sleeping bags with a comforter. If you got the heater, you probably don't need the arctic pack.

As for the fan, we did not get that and summer camping gets rather warm. It is the one option we regret not getting. Your battery operated fan may be enough. If you decide to skip it, you can always swap out the vent for the fan later. The camper is prewired for it and it fits the same cut-out (at least it used to, confirm that with Stan).

Ted

If you decide to skip it, you can always swap out the vent for the fan later. The camper is prewired for it and it fits the same cut-out (at least it used to, confirm that with Stan).
Ted

Ditto that. Plenty of flexibility to add it later.

I might add that we really like having the fan- even if just to turn it on for 15 minutes to cool off the camper on a still night. The battery one might do the trick too, especially if you can rig it to suck in cool air.

On our second trip out with the camper in CO, it dropped down to the low 30's. I slept ok with just a wool blanket (and clothes- we were unprepared for the low temps) and all the windows up, but the vents open. I'm a cold sleeper though, while the wife needs more heat. Judging by that experience, the heater ought to make it pretty comfy down into the 20's.

Mark,

Welcome to the forum. Absolutely get the fan now and save yourself the trouble of installing it later. There's been quite a bit of discussion here lately by those who don't have the fan and are about to install one. It wouldn't be that tough to install after the fact but why bother if you don't have to. We didn't get the heater and I had to install it last spring at a slightly greater cost for parts than the factory option would have cost with parts and labor.
Good Luck and keep us posted. Don't forget to take and post pictures.

Hi Mark,

I'm a firm believer on the Arctic Pack with reasons for the heat and the cold to keep the temperature more controlled on the inside. Here is a write up that I did back in May. If you are handy with a needle and thread you could make one….

http://www.wanderthewest.com/forum/showthread.php?t=382

Fan…I have one in the front and it is nice to bring in cool air. The rear I just have the vent but will be changing that out to a power fan for the reasons of cooking. When boiling water that fan can suck out the moisture.

I would consider the fan and the liner. You can always put the fan in later and buy or make the liner later also.

artic pack and fan

First to Brian..:) .... I won't say it.:D

As to the fan, most people who have it really like it. It is one of the few options that seem to be liked by everyone.

As to the Artic Pack, if you put one in the heater will work about half as much. If FWC is still doing it though, you should be able to add the Artic Pack later if you feel you need it. It is a rather easy add on. You will have to ask Stan though if they put the strips in still in all the campers. If not maybe you could have them added just in case you want to add the Artic Pack later.

Some kind of fan is needed for hot weather, to move cool air in and to move hot, humid cooking air out.

That said, however, it doesn't need to be a roof vent fan. Fantastical fan also makes a good stand-alone 12VDC fan, called Endless Breeze, that can also be used outside or where ever. Folks on the small fiberglass trailer groups have praised these almost as much as the roof fans.

http://www.fantasticvent.com/products/endless_breeze/endless_breeze.html

BTW, I noticed that fantastical fan now has a remote control for the roof vent fan -- Don't laugh, there have been times in my little trailer when I wanted the fan off but didn't want to get up :D

Liner and fan.....

Ben....thank you for not saying it although I could feel it:)

Mark,
I just had ATC put a new liner in my old FWC camper shell and they suggested to add the strip for hanging the arctic liner and pointed out that even if I never used it for the liner I could always use it to hang other stuff on...I liked that idea and had them put it in. Even though I am of the simpler kind of camper school and have a shell with builtins to my needs, when I see things that would be a good addition I add them as they can be afforded.
Brian

Just to dehumidify you probably want the fan. The arctic pack I think depends on just how long you spend in the cold. I've certainly appreciated my heater, but it does take some juice to run and can run the propane low faster than you'd like. If its just weekends then don't bother. If you spend longer periods in the cold then you probably want it.

remote fans

We had a customer send us one of those big fancy remote control fans a couple of campers ago to install. A bit pricey but it was a lot of fun to play with. :D We had to make sure it was wired right.:)

Thanks for all the info! I guess I"ll see this fall and winter how we do without the arctic pack. I can hardly wait for the camper let alone stay off this forum. Just finished putting dual yellowtops w/solonoid in this morning, should be nice not having house battery taking up storage in camper. Again , thanks so much!
Mark

A note on the fan

We installed the fan in our new Eagle, and we're happy with it and have used it. One note however: Thanks to the fan, I can't get the camper into my garage. It just barely won't clear. So now I park in the public parking area, in violation of the community covenants. Thus far the neighbors have let me slide.

So if you go the fan route, you might want to do some measuring. Good luck.

Thanks for all the info! I guess I"ll see this fall and winter how we do without the arctic pack. I can hardly wait for the camper let alone stay off this forum. Just finished putting dual yellowtops w/solonoid in this morning, should be nice not having house battery taking up storage in camper. Again , thanks so much!
Mark

mark, any pics of the dual battery set up?

Erod , I can take some and post them . It's in my tundra w/out abs , so it was a dunk ! Give me a couple of days.

Mark

We installed the fan in our new Eagle, and we're happy with it and have used it. One note however: Thanks to the fan, I can't get the camper into my garage. It just barely won't clear. So now I park in the public parking area, in violation of the community covenants. Thus far the neighbors have let me slide.

So if you go the fan route, you might want to do some measuring. Good luck.

I had a similar problem with my Scamp 13' trailer and my low garage. I found the vent cover came off easily with a couple of screws and, had I needed more clearance, it looked like the fan works would also have been easy to do.

Back
Top Bottom