New member w/Q's about Tacomas and Ocelots

JzeroThree

Hello, I just joined this incredibly valuable forum after lurking for about a week or so. I have been looking into truck campers for a few months, have finally made some basic decisions and am impressed on how well this forum can be used as a resource. Thank you all for being here.
My first basic truck camping life decisions are this:

Light overlanding and weeks/month(s) long off-grid living will be the objective. In both moderately cold and hot climates.

I definitely want a 2ed gen Tacoma, probably in the 06-09 year range. Extended cab V6 4x4, and planning on spending several thousand on initial upgrades for overlanding/payload capacity.

All Terrain Campers is the best option for accommodating customization so I am definitely going with ATC, starting with a shell.

My main question is the only option for a 2ed gen Tacoma the Bobcat model? I would REALLY like to put an ocelot on the back with the tailgate down. Mainly for the 78" width of the bed. I'd like to avoid the pull out bed set up. However, I am 6'3" and need the 3" extra side sleeping width the ocelot offers.

So before I start drawing things up from a shell model, I want to make sure I can optimize my choice of dimensions. Thank you for reading through this and let me know if I can describe anything further.
-Joe

Welcome to the cult Joe.Can't really give you any info about the Ocelot on a Tacoma.
I have a Bobcat on a 1st gen Tundra,which doesn't help you,but the choice of an ATC
product IMO is a good one.
Have you talked with Marty/Jeff at ATC? They could give you some good incite.

Also there are members who will also help.
Enjoy your planning.
Frank

Thank you for the fast response Frank! I have not contacted ATC directly yet, I was hoping to get farther down the road of figuring things before I get stuck and need help with a technical question. I appreciate the guidance and assurance, thank you!

I don't recommend an over-the-tailgate set up. You will never get the load right for handling on rough roads and cornering. Either downsize your camper plans to one that fits on a 6.5' bed or get a truck with an 8' bed. If you can find one, a Tundra with an 8' bed would be ideal.

Hi Joe, welcome to WTW. You’re definitely going in the right direction with ATC, but my personal belief is you’re wanting too big a camper for the Tacoma. I recommend staying with a Bobcat shell, or getting a larger truck. Have a chat with Marty about what you want to do, he is easy to work with, and has great ideas.

For the shell, my recommendation is to get a factory installed furnace. You won’t regret being warm.

i was thinking about going the tacoma route, then switched gears to full size gmc, with 6.5" bed. the mpg is as good or better than tacoma - 0r not significantly worse. the bigger vehicle can handle the camper very well, and you get a bigger camper. i like the full size for traveling as well as backroading. i went with atc since i was going shell route, and they will do a few 'custom' things for me, and price. with shell pricing, i am now getting higher priced/quality components.

Thank you for the advice all! I think I should definitely contact ATC directly about the initial fitting question... Gotta get started in the right direction. So I am now looking at V6 SR5 Tundras. This is my only alternative to the Tacoma I would consider, and I'd rather compromise on that than the smaller camper.

Would the older SR5 Tundra work with the Ocelot model?

Thank you all for the encouragement to call Marty, I just had a wonderful conversation with him. He said he can fit a bobcat floorplan onto a 78" ocelot frame so it will fit in a tacoma but my 6'3" self can slept sideways in the camper. I am so excited to start drawing this out!

+1 to what Frank said... the bigger engines tend to "notice" the camper less. Check out the MPG threads and you will see that the smaller fuel efficient (when unloaded) trucks really suffer when the camper is on there. For example, my camper is on all the time, and I get 16 US mpg and am not a slow driver.

JzeroThree said:
Thank you for the advice all! I think I should definitely contact ATC directly about the initial fitting question... Gotta get started in the right direction. So I am now looking at V6 SR5 Tundras. This is my only alternative to the Tacoma I would consider, and I'd rather compromise on that than the smaller camper.

Would the older SR5 Tundra work with the Ocelot model?
I have a 1st gen (2005) Doublecab Tundra with the 4.7L V8 and a 2020 ATC Ocelot camper. I would recommend that you go with the V8 over the V6. The 4.7L V8 engine has a reputation as one of the most reliable and longest lasting engines Toyota has ever produced. It is one of the best features of a 1st gen Tundra.

Why is the V6 SR5 Tundra the only one you will consider? What is your rationale?

The ATC Ocelot is great, I love mine.

My concerns would be frame, leaf springs and power.

Tacos were not known for the robustness of their frames and did have a problem with frame rust leading to frame failure at some point back there (There was a recall.). You can upgrade shocks, leaf springs, etc, but if the frame isn’t robust enough you’re just wasting money. I may be wrong (not the first or last time) but I believe Tacos have box channels for the front part of the frame and C channels for the back. C channels are lighter than box, but a lot less robust.

As noted, the leaf springs can be upgraded.

Power, others have addressed.

Remember that generation of Taco had less than 1300 lbs of payload.

If you are set on a Toyota, I agree with what others have said. Go with an older Tundra.

If you decide on a Tundra I'm in the V8 camp. With a Tundra you can get the ATC Panther which is 84" wide. I have a Panther shell on my '19 Tundra. I also had it built with the 2" higher panels. Like you, I didn't want the pull out bed because it gets in the way of the side dinette I added. My Panther weighs in at 900 lbs w/o the jacks. I still have the stock suspension and haven't felt the need for any mods to it. I'm averaging about 14-15 mpg and I'm not a slow driver. As far as fitment, since you're buying a new camper, Marty will build it to fit the height of your truck's sidewalls.

Weight added behind the rear axle unloads the front axle (pivot effect). And the weight removed from front adds to rear. Something to keep in mind. The rear axle is affected more than you’d think.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom