RKL

I Just ordered a FWC Raven shell in Sept. 2016. I am considering a 12 v freezer/ frig. My question is while traveling with the top down, does it get very hot inside. I am from Louisiana so we are always thinking heat.

WELCOME! Not sure about the Raven but on my Hawk, if I crack open a top vent and the sliding front window it get descent airflow. Are you thinking of someone or a dog maybe traveling in there or just temps for the frige? I am in TX and all is well with mine but dog travels in cab.

No my dog will travel in my truck cab. I just wondering about the heat inside, thinking about frig or maybe an ice chest. Should I carry my ice chest or frig in my truck cab or will it be ok traveling inside the camper.

Hello and welcome RKL,

I just got my Raven Oct 3rd. It did not get too hot in there and the fridge ran just fine off the truck and FWC battery. As a matter of fact I had it turned too cool and things in there started to freeze. I also cracked the vent a tiny bit.
I live in Florida and I also got an AC on mine for when I am plugged into shore power.
So far I love it but have only done one trip from PA back to Fl. via the Blue ridge parkway and Asheville.

Cooler stays cool too ;) Just remember to sit it in the shade under truck when you take out for more room and access to trailer ... voice of experience :( ;)

Welcome to the group. We don't usually camp in hot weather,but do travel through some.
I always leave the front slider open a few inches and the roof vent open slightly to give a bit of air flow.
I have found that the camper actually stays cooler than the outside temp.The white of the camper does reflect the sun and doesn't store heat.
I find also at home and not camping ,when we have some very hot days the camper also stays cooler than the outside temp.
One thing about opening the vent ,open it only a little if you are driving the air at speed over the vent could rip off the cover
or at least damage it.
Frank

Never worried about how hot it got when it was down before-and the dog is in the cab too!This may sound crazy but if you think it gets to hot in the camper did you ever think about getting one of those "Arctic Blanket" liners or some type of insulation like that? Several of the folks here here have started using them year round: I left mine in this summer and and it seemed to help on those on those hot and muggy days! I remember my years spent in SE Asia and south Florida and your humidity is more like that than the dry and hot summers and cold winters we have here but some type of insulation/liner might work for your area. Don't know if it would work-some of the folks in your area also use air conditioners too-almost sounds to cold to me-but I have to deal with different environments here. Just a thought from here in the high desert ;) ! Good luck!

Smoke

Back
Top Bottom