New Mexico / Arizona planning

DirtyDog

Captain Leisure
Site Team
Well it's official, mission control has cleared my departure around the 18th of March for two weeks! Woohoo!

So I'll be spending some time in Northern Arizona and SW New Mexico in the Silver City area. Does anyone have any recommendations on back country drives, places to camp, or must see locations?

So I'll be spending some time in Northern Arizona and SW New Mexico in the Central City area. Does anyone have any recommendations on back country drives, places to camp, or must see locations?

Well I never heard of Central City:( Silver City maybe?

Hope for precip.

DD, I just heard that fire restrictions are going into place in the mountains southeast of Albuquerque next week, and could be implemented in my area in a couple of weeks. That means no campfires or charcoal grills, but propane is okay, and campfires in existing park grills in some places will be okay. The good news is that I haven't heard of any restrictions in the Gila yet. If I do, I'll post info to this thread.

Let's hope we get some precip soon!

OK then head East on NM 152 over Emory Pass to Hillsboro. Have breakfast or lunch at the General Store, (this is a requirement). Turn right and head to Lake Valley, ghost town that has buildings remaining and a restored school.

North off there heading out of the old town of Monicello is Monticello Canyon, has a couple gates and the property on each side at points is private, but it is a county road.
158756160_pnH5J-M.jpg

Within a couple miles of the end of the canyon is you go left to loop back and go through Winston, Chloride, and some nearby ghost towns. Go right (haven't myself) and you go over some mountains and end up by the VLA (Very Large Arrey - radio telescopes mounted on train cars for easy shifting around). All sorts of Forest Roads through the. FR150 is the continental divide trail, camping along here, from this sign (Beaverhead) you go left to take the conti divide but I think the options are pretty open.
144125921_QkMQ6-M.jpg

One thing to watch for is burn bans and if it gets bad they'll close all the back country. Lincoln National Forest is getting closer but I think the Gila has had more precipitation this winter. Don't let the Javelina get ya:eek:

OK then head East on NM 152 over Emory Pass to you go over some mountains and end up by the VLA (Very Large Arrey - radio telescopes mounted on train cars for easy shifting around). All sorts of Forest Roads through the.

The VLA is very cool. It is where they shots parts of the movie "Contact" with the giant dish antennae. It is a beautiful area. Not too far east of the VLA on the main road are a couple of BLM or FS campgrounds under the ponderosa.

Beautiful country

Between Flagstaff and the New Mexico border area is the Mogollon Rim. This is some beautiful country with tons of camping opportunities. From Flagstaff you can go south on 89 a short distance and turn left on Lake Mary road. This will eventually hit AZ 87, turn right and a few miles down turn left on FS 300. This will run along the edge (or near it) of the Mogollon Rim until it hits AZ 260. Lots of camping spots aong there.

Turn left and go through some small towns to Show Low. There you turn left to follow 260 through town and turn right on 260 again. This goes up to around 10,000 feet before dropping down to Springerville / Eagar. There you turn right onto US 191 to Alpine. If you stay on 191 there it goes up again for a long while. Then it twists and turns until you get dizzy going down to Morenci Mine and Clifton. This is a really nice road if you like curves and scenery but aren't in a hurry. Its pretty slow going. Lots of camping between Alpine and the mine.

Past Clifton you can turn left on 78 for some more mountain curves and camping spots. When you hit US 180 you can either go right to Silver City or left for yet more mountain curves and camping spots.

Yes, I used to ride motorcycles...

I second Barko1's suggested route. Be sure to stop at the Emory pass vista on Hwy 152. Kingston and Hillsboro were founded as mining towns back in the silver mining heyday. Also, when in Silver City, stop by the museum to get info about the area's mining history.

I've attached a not-so-good snapshot of a map of campgrounds in the Southern Gila. The map is from "New Mexico Campgrounds: The Statewide Guide" by C. Frain.

1 - Iron Creek
2 - Upper Gallinas
3 - Lower Gallinas
(all near the highway and in the Black mountains)

4 - Rocky Canyon
5 - Black Canyon - near Aldo Leopold wilderness - the first federal wilderness designated in the U.S.
(more remote primitive campgrounds)

6 - Sapillo
7 - Upper End
8 - Mesa
(If you want to stay at Lake Roberts)

9 - Grapevine
10 - Forks
11 - Gila Cliff Dwellings
(all near Gila cliff dwellings - well worth seeing!)

12 - McMillan
(access to Pinos Altos range)
13 - Cherry Creek
(access to Continental Divide national Scenic Trail)

14 - City of Rocks SP
15 - Rockhound SP

Attachments

• map_s_gila.jpg
    map_s_gila.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 349
There you turn right onto US 191 to Alpine. If you stay on 191 there it goes up again for a long while. Then it twists and turns until you get dizzy going down to Morenci Mine and Clifton. This is a really nice road if you like curves and scenery but aren't in a hurry. Its pretty slow going.

Yes, I used to ride motorcycles...

I've only done it on bikes and yes, it is twisty.
63698996_GpqKa-M-1.jpg

My daughter and I rode it, below freezin.
63699215_ethpT-M.jpg

Northern AZ?

Canyon de Chelly and Monument Valley. 'Nuff said.

I also always like to plug "America's Largest Code Talkers Exhibit" at the Burger King in Kayenta. Have a Whopper and learn some unappreciated Navajo history. It is worth seeing if you're in the area.

If you up near 4 corners, a couple cool roads are the Moki Dugway
272073719_HmRBL-M.jpg
and more into Utah is the Burr Trail that leads to the only way across
272089589_KDgWu-M.jpg

Chaco Canyon, Taos Pueblo in NM are good places if you are interested in Native American History at all. Lockett Meadow is a good place to camp near Flagstaff.

Enough about the scenic stuff in New Mexico. I will mention the neat stuff to see. First I recommend Carlsbad Caverns. A cave that a 747 can fit in is worth a look. About 35 miles north of the city of Carlsbad is the town of Artesia. There is a brew pub on Main called The Wellhead. Good beer.

After lunch, 35 miles north is Roswell. Of the flying saucer fame. Pick up a alien glow in the dark keychain fob. And visit the UFO Museum. As much as I love the outdoors this is a must see, and kind of fun.

After Roswell take route 380 to Lincoln, This is where the Lincoln County War was centered. Any time you see a Western movie where one bunch of guys are shooting at another bunch of guys across the street, this is where it actually happened. Billy the Kid and Pat Garret are two names that come to mind. The last time I was there they had a self guided tour that is worth the time.

The old town in Albuquerque is nice, and near by is the Natural History Museum. Good Southwest cuisine can be had in the area.

Continuing north is Santa Fe. Old town here is pretty nice to. I believe Santa Fe is the oldest city in the USA. Or is that Saint Petersburg? Any way it's up there. Lots of great history in New Mexico. Take the time to read up on it it and you trip will be more enjoyable.

Cheers;

Mike

Actually it probably died, maybe boredom. Artesia is an oil town/refinery, was booming 6 months ago, now probably hurting. If I'm heading East like to Dallas I'll ride through the mountains (Cloudcroft) and then have to go through Artesia enroute to another garden spot, Hobbs:eek:

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I will be looking into these in detail while I plan my trip.

Highz - I seem to remember you posted about some breweries but I can't seem to fine that post - do you remember what thread that was in?

Back
Top Bottom