New or newish truck for my Eagle: mileage, power, fit questions

CharlieW

I picked up a used FWC Eagle about 5 years ago and put it on the back of my '98 Dodge Dakota. The Dodge is pretty rusty (I'm in central Illinois) and I'm starting to worry that imminent catastrophic failure will damage my wonderful camper. So I'm looking at buying a new or nearly new truck.

Current fit, millage, and power
My Dodge is V6 (175 hp) long bed (78" long with 18" high bed walls) extended cab. The camper fit is perfect with no overhang out the back and maybe 5" space above the cab. It's sitting on ~3/4" boards. With extended cab there is (I imagine) a perfect airflow path up the window and then over the popup edge. (If I ever got around to adding an airfoil it would be a perfect extension of the window diagonal.) Highway mileage w/ camper dropped only about 2 mpg from maybe 19 to 17. I have never felt under-powered. It doesn't bother me in the slightest that I have to downshift to 4th and can't maintain 60mph on steep uphills. (No hills near me but the camper has gone over the Smokies and Rockies.)

New(ish) truck possibilities
I definitely want to step up to 4wd and I have a preference for manual transmission. The choice I seem to have now is new or nearly new Tacoma or Colorado/Canyon [edit] or Nissan Frontier. All "long beds" are now shorter (73-74.4") so I'm going to loose my perfect fit and hang out the back 6" or so. That's unfortunate but no big deal I guess. These new 4x4s all weigh and have about the same cargo capacity as my current 4x2. Other considerations are:

Inside bed wall height
Gen 2 (pre-2016) Tacoma: 18" (perfect!)
Gen 3 (2016+) Tacoma: 19" (so I have to stack boards to raise 1" higher)
Colorado/Canyon: 21" (ughhh, that means the camper has to sit 3" higher).
[Edit: Nissan Frontier: 18" (perfect!)]

I4 vs V6
My camper is probably 900 lbs loaded with water, gas and gear. The Colorado/Canyon I4 is 15% stronger (200hp) and the Tacoma I4 is 9% weaker (159hp) than my current V6 (175hp, assuming it was running to spec). The torque hit is even worse that the HP spec, however (180 lb-ft for Tacoma I4 versus my current 230 ft-lb). All new V6's are way more powerful than what I'm used to. I rarely tow anything. It would be nice if the Tacoma I4 was much better mileage, but it is only a little better than V6. I don't drive aggressively in freeway traffic so happy as long as I can maintain 70mph on flat. I will sometimes get onto very steep dirt roads (e.g., the one in Death Valley going up to Telegraph Peak) but I don't need to do it fast like I'm in a SUV commercial. My general thinking is that I could live with Toyota I4 with manual transmission. (American 4x4 not available with manual transmission.) Although my preference is manual, I could live with auto IF paired with stronger V6 engine.

Regular vs extended (access) cab
If I go pre-2015 used Tacoma I can still get a regular cab. I can live with this for a very big price drop. But I wonder if anyone knows how the popup overhang over a regular cab affects mileage? (That is, compared to extended cab where the pupup front edge is set back.)

Price
Want $25000 or so o.t.d. I've discovered that the American 2016s are still on some lots within 200 miles of me and can be had for $10000 under msrp. That barely put's a V6 within my budget. There are no 2016 Tacomas on lots anymore. A new base 4x4 Tacoma (I4, manual, no back seats, etc) can be had for msrp ~$25000 and (based on one offer) about that price o.t.d. New Tacoma with V6 is about $8000 more than I4 since it can be had only with higher trim level (and only automatic at "SR5" level). Used Tacoma V6 can't be had near me for <$30000 unless it is extensively pre-rusted. Given budget constraints and availability, I'm sort of forced into EITHER base Tacoma (with manual that I do like & I4 that worries me somewhat) OR Colorado/Canyon (w/ V6 but less good fit with the higher bed walls) OR quite old model-year used Tacoma V6 with more rust than I think I can live with.

TL;DR
Sorry for long post. To to summarize my concerns/questions:
1. I4 vs V6 highway mileage (driving 65-70 mph): will weaker engine take a bigger mpg hit?
2. Can anyone guess mpg hit for raising camper 1" or 3.75" higher for the new bed wall heights?
3. Can anyone guess mpg hit for front end overhang on regular cab compared to extended cab?

And these are subjective, but your thoughts welcome...
4. Any regrets from folks who actually have Tacoma I4?
5. For anyone that has had to stack their camper on 3+" of boards, how much do you hate the extra tallness? (Yeah, all the styling cues on new trucks are tall, Tall, TALLLL! But it doesn't really appeal to me.)

Just a comment on the 2016 trucks. You should be seeing deep discounts on new last year model trucks. In the realm of 20% below MSRP is obtainable. The dealers don't want old inventory, so make a real low offer. Be ready to negotiate, be ready to walk if you're not getting a reasonable deal.

When I bought my first Ford ranger, a friend recommended I get the V-6 rather than a 4 cylinder. I'm now almost done with my third one. I've always gotten the V-6 and I'm glad I have. I haul an Eagle on this one and the last one and it handles it just fine. It hangs out the back a few inches on the tailgate which I leave on.
I have also always gotten the extended cab and can't imagine not having one. It catches a lot of stuff.

CharlieW, Have you tried CarMax? I bought a 2013 F-250 crew cab, 8' longbed in 2014. They have a Hugh supply of trucks. Go to their website. You can see every thing they have in your truck style. They will move a truck for a small fee and some times for zero, moved our truck from Chicago to Indy for zero. I would then hit the dealerships and start negotiating. Good luck. jd

Whether you buy new or used, get the bigger motor. Most likely it will get the same mpg or within 1-2 mpg as the smaller motor that will be working harder. You'll be glad to have the extra power on those steep grades. I wouldn't turn away from a good deal on a full size truck either, lots of folks on here posting good things about there ecoboost Fords.

Thanks all for the tips! I've been using cars.com to see pricing near and far; prices always equal to or better than that listed at the dealer's website. I will try carmax too. New 2016 models no longer exist for Tacoma, but do for every other mid-size model. For Chevy/GMC these are sometimes discounted $10000 from msrp if I go out 200 miles. I just discovered (rediscovered) the Nissan Frontier. Fortunately, they haven't redesigned it for the modern TALL look yet so the bed is still a perfect 18" height. Not as deeply discounted from msrp as 2016 Chevy/GMC, but this might be my only way to get new V6 under $25k without having to stack my camper 3" off the bed. (but I need to check other dimensions carefully)

Rant: Why the heck can I only get manual transmission with crew cab/short bed, and not with long bed (for 4x4 V6)? Both Toyota and Nissan do this (Chevy/GMC don't offer it at all). What is the thinking here?! Don't you think a manual kind-of-guy is more likely to want/need long bed, and that soccer mom/dad with kids that wants car-truck is less likely to want manual? \rant

I love manual, but for the truck I'm happy with the automatic and 6-speed manual shift option. I get the best of both worlds even though there isn't a shift or clutch pedal. I use that with 6-speed manual shift on down grades, works like a charm. jd

CharlieW. Welcome to the site.
We have a 09 ATC Bobcat,basically the size of the FWC Eagle just a few inches wider.
Same length and "bed"depth. In 09 I had a "small" V6 Ranger Super Cab and after a 5 week trip to Alaska we decided we needed more power and a better riding truck. The choices seemed few.Didn't want a new one as the cost and bed depth were a turn off.
Found a 2002 Tundra AC 4X4 that fit the bill. There is a lot more room than the Ranger size,but the truck isn't all that much bigger.
About 12" +/-,longer and 6" wider. The MPG went from 16/17 Ranger to 15/16 Tundra..Well worth the trade
Your Eagle would fit great on one and they are a great truck. I would think a search of the auto sites you could find a good 1st gen Tundra at a reasonable price. Might be a possibility.
Good luck with your search.
Frank

Yep, the manual shift feature on the auto 6 spd is nice going up or down those grades.

I just put my Eagle on a clean 1st gen Tundra. Great combo. The camper tucks in real nice to the truck. And the V8 makes power a non issue. Mine is a double cab and the back seat goes a long way to make up for lack of storage in the camper.

One note. Toyota changed the beds on the '05+'06 double cabs to 20" depth from 17". So those need a slight platform to raise the camper.

For what it's worth I'll throw this out. Not long after the above post I was contacted by a friend this am. He is having to do a sudden relocation to Florida for a new job. He thinks he is going to have to sell his '04 Tundra access cab with stepside style bed. Last time I saw it it was a nice truck. Located in Maryland. If anyone is interested I can hook you up to him.

Squatch, that fit looks perfect. Too bad newer trucks all have higher bed walls.

I looked at a few used trucks this weekend on the dealer lot, but they all have so much undercarriage rust here (even 2015s) that it just puts me off at any price. If it wasn't for the d**** road salt here, I could probably drive my 98 Dodge for another 10 or 20 yrs.

I'll get to test drive an I4 Tacoma and a V6 Frontier this weekend. From my research, Frontier is the only way I can get new truck (full or mid-size) with stronger engine near my $25000 budget. To tell the truth, having to slow down on hills is going to bother the person behind me more than me. My parents had a Chinook that I guess was 100 HP and could get up 80 from Sacramento to Tahoe just fine. But I'm not quite sure my wife feels that way and that might decide the issue.

Charlie,your thoughts of a Nissan Frontier seems like a good match.
There are several members that have that setup.
Here's one I saw at Yellowstone a few years ago.

Frank

DSCN4828.jpg

Rule #1: Always buy "more" truck than you think you will need. This means more engine and more GVWR capability.

Rule #2: You lose a huge chunk of change when you drive the new one off the lot and that even means a new 2016.

Rule #3: This ain't no collectable vehicle; you are going camping in it so do you "need" a new one?

Rule #4: I figure if you can find a really clean vehicle that has what you want on it, with under 20,000 miles and about 3 years old (or more), you can pay 2/3 of what it originally cost and therefore buy a top-of-the-line version for a good price.

Rule #5: You should consider the long bed versions even if this camper is a bit shorter; while you probably won't need another truck in the next few years, you may want to "upgrade" to a larger camper and you'll be ready for that with this purchase.

Rule #6: They salt the roads back East so buy your truck west of Rockies if at all possible. As Neil Young once said so eloquently, "Rust Never Sleeps"...

I've been happy with an Eagle on a 2013 Frontier V6 king/extended cab with 6' bed. A good match. I've added firestone air bags, and the previous owner of the truck had added some heavy duty tires. A good combo!

My Nissan Frontier King cab V6 6 speed manual 4wd has been doing great with my Eagle, maybe check it out.

My truck was bought in the rust zone. Previous owner never took it out in bad weather. I got lucky but it's proof they are out there used. Mine is a 10 year old new truck. Check the thread.

But do your searching down south. TN and below should have plenty of rust free trucks for sale used.

I-4 vs V6

We had our 2012 Eagle shell on a 1999 Gen 1 Tacoma for about a year (ordered it to fit the Gen 2 truck though).

gallery_2684_938_108439.jpg

Gen one had the I-4, manual 5-speed and 4WD. Performance over 60 mph was NON-existent. Any freeway hill meant riding in the slow lane in third gear, speed about 50 mph with the hazard flashers on so we didn't get runover. Milege was in the 10-12mpg range because the engine was working very hard to move the load. Great looking Rig ....too bad the performance wasn't there.

The modified Eagle shell (click on the link) without camping gear weighs 1,100 pounds. Loaded for a week in the desert about 1,500 pounds.

Worked much better with a "Flip-Pac"
gallery_2684_769_98199.jpg

The 2013 Gen 2 Tacoma V6, 5-speed auto, 4WD is night to day difference in performance and gas milege (14 - 18 range depending on speed). It acts like a V8 when passing big rigs (withOUT the towed vehicle or trailer) on 2 lane roads. I even pull a small Suzucki Samurai with it (rated to tow 6,500 pounds).
gallery_2684_908_208423.jpg

Buy at least a V6. The Gen 1 Tundra (2001-2006) is also very reliable. They are about the same footprint as the Gen 2 Tacoma (10 inches longer - same width though bed is large enough to hold a Hawk) and come with a V8.

Good luck on your search Charlie

Back
Top Bottom