New Outrage!

N'kwala

Geezelle
Spent three mostly nice days camped at Doran Park near Bodega Bay this week, but met up with something that I sure hope isn't the shape of things to come. Yesterday afternoon two idiots spent about a half hour playing with a drone and GoPro, zooming over the bay, the Head, and the campsites. Damned thing was noisy and intrusive and I don't think much of the privacy issues implied. I'm told this has become a popular pastime in nature areas.

I found myself wishing I had my shotgun. I think I could drop a drone--it came pretty close...don't know what the legal issues would be. Actually I think it's probably illegal to discharge firearms in a county park. Oh well.

Anybody else run across this?

I've been wondering why they're not treated like RC airplanes. You can't fly them wherever you want.

JHa6av8r said:
I've been wondering why they're not treated like RC airplanes. You can't fly them wherever you want.
Yes, I've been wondering the same thing whenever I hear the controversy about drones.
For example, if drones can interfere with commercial air traffic at airports, how do they keep traditional RC plane enthusiasts from doing the same thing? Some RC planes are quite large...And RC planes have been around for decades.

People running ANY kind of noisy motors where I want peace and quiet is obnoxious to me -- and this is a new form that the annoyance is taking.

Warning! Rant ahead! :mad:
Sadly, another motorized sport which doesn't respect the quiet and privacy of others. One of my pet peeves is when noisy folks diminish my experience with their machines when we're hiking/skiing/kayaking in the outdoors.

IMHO, whenever motor powered vehicles (snow machines, powerboats, jet skis, motorcycles, quads, trucks, drones, or military craft) invade the quiet of folks out in nature, it's an imposition. I also drive a truck, and might use a motorcycle or a panga to get to the goods. My neighbors have to suffer the sound of my chain saw or leaf blower too.

As much as I respect the motorized crowd for their right to legal use of motorized vehicles on the trails, the waters or in our sky,
I also wish they would respect my right to the quiet I had before they showed up.

Privacy is another concern when cameras are involved.

Beyond that there are issues with safety, as in one landed at the White House a week ago "oops", and consideration to appropriateness in many venues. I admit I haven't researched whether the NPS allows them, or if you can overfly the Rose Parade, but you get the idea. It's a broad area of concern, from my perspective.

End Rant
You may now resume your normal programming :)

Even with the new law disallowing drones in National Parks, people are still flying them. They either can't read, or they think they are entitled. How about the guy from Germany that crashed his in one of the Yellowstone's most beautiful thermals last year? Dumb and Dumber.

The FAA is working on it. Rules have already come out and are being refined...work in progress. Some jurisdictions are also working on laws to regulate them but it's going to be difficult. Like them or not, you'll be seeing more and more of them, not just the Joe Blow RC guy kind but bigger and more of the autonomous variety that can do all sorts of data gathering from fire fighting to crop management with the proper sensors.

Riverrunner said:
... bigger and more of the autonomous variety that can do all sorts ...
And then...Skynet? :unsure:

skynet-aircraft.jpg

;)

The RC guys I've seen mostly go to specific areas to fly. They respect the rules and they aren't hanging cameras all over. Drone people don't think they should have to follow any rules at all. I sure don't want one flying over me when I'm camping. I see it getting worse but anything is done. Drones crashing into other drones. Drones getting shot down and the confrontations that follow.

They've already interfered with fire fighting operations, I can see them crashing and causing fires too. No doubt they can be very useful tools but I don't see but a small proportion of the people buying them using them as anything other than annoying toys.

Someone was caught buzzing bighorns in Zion a while back. Lots of photogs think their rights are being trampled by restrictions, but they are the same ones who claim that public lands belong to 'me' instead of to 'us'.

I own a couple of quadcopters and a GoPro, so allow me to provide an owner's (aka dronehead) perspective. It is a rapidly evolving technology that has intersected with some other trends to create friction. Drones flew from a technological curiosity to front page headlines in no time. Some say 2015 is the "year of the drone."

First off, drone is popular but incorrect terminology. Technically speaking these are unmanned aerial vehicles or systems (UAVs or UASs). However, fighting common usage is rather pointless so I will go with drone. (These days people use phrases that get the most search hits.) Just understand that the devices encompass a wide range of size, complexity and use. Some fit in the palm of your hand and others are the size of regular aircraft. They may be radio or Wi-Fi controlled or they may be autonomous. They are used for fun, photography, videography, science, farming, fire fighting, surveillance, supply delivery, logistics, or killing--just to name a few existing activities.

Drones can do things we only imagined before. They are like extensions of our body. They allow us to see and visit difficult, dangerous or sensitive places through remote sensing that were previously out-of-reach. Volcanos, old nuclear power plants, remote peaks--the possibilities are endless. So is the commercial potential which throws a different light on the subject. Oregon has an economic development program called SOAR Oregon with the catchphrase, "Unmanned, Unlimited." There's a good article on this at http://www.portlandmonthlymag.com/news-and-profiles/science-and-technology/articles/drones-are-set-to-conquer-oregons-skies-are-you-ready-december-2014.

So, what about the concerns of the average person who is buzzed by an annoying drone? Any human activity requires courtesy and restraint but, sadly, that is often lacking. We have a truck camper partly because campgrounds are frequently full of obnoxious groups with their barking dogs, screaming children, boom boxes and loud conversations. A drone is one more potential annoyance to put up with. (At least drone batteries typically last only 15 minutes or so.) As for privacy, there is little expectation of privacy in a public place and, realistically, our phones and internet use invade privacy far more than a drone can. But I get it.

What rules do drones follow? That's complicated and changing. For now you can fly them anywhere except where you can't. They are definitely prohibited in National Parks, around airports and military facilities, and in some local areas. For example, Smith Rock State Park in Central Oregon is out. Other than that, recreational use is restricted only by flight height: a maximum of 400 ft above the ground. Police use is also evolving because drones are much less expensive than helicopters, so you may want to think twice before blowing that drone out of the air.

There are voluntary, common sense guidelines that operators should follow such as staying away from noise-sensitive areas and not endangering people or animals. Part of the problem is the sudden popularity of drones by owners without any experience in the social implications. I liken it to off-road travel in the 70s before 4WD SUVs and pickups burst on the scene, or photography 10 years ago before smartphones became common. Social behavior has not caught up to the technology, assuming it ever will.

Hope that helps shed a little light on this interesting subject. I'll try to stay out of earshot. ;)

droneswatter_590_422.jpg

alano said:
I see a television show. Battle Drones!

Alan
Great idea! We were joking that we might do some radio jamming and/or take control of the drone with our tractor beam. :D

Thank you for shedding some light on UAV's, Mr. Bigfoot. You make some excellent points.

I especially liked this comment

"Part of the problem is the sudden popularity of drones by owners without any experience in the social implications. I liken it to off-road travel in the 70s before 4WD SUVs and pickups burst on the scene, or photography 10 years ago before smartphones became common. Social behavior has not caught up to the technology, assuming it ever will."

Partly because I believe it is true and partly because Bigfoot phrased it so well. So many of the things that bug us are attributed to 'things' like phones or drones, while the common denominator is people who seem oblivious to the negative impact that their actions have on others.

When I was at Doran Park in October it was the generators that irritated me, especially the ones left running for hours while their owners were down the road drinking with their friends, within 10 feet of their friends running generators. I am sure, since they happily sat next to a noisy generator for several hours, that it never entered their mind that the generator back at their campsite might have had a negative effect on the adjacent campers.

camelracer, you and I had the same thought. Maybe shoot 'em with paintballs and gum up the camera.

I also have heard that drones are being used to scout and/or drive game. There are regulations being drafted to outlaw that as well.

Wonder if you could nail one with a boomerang. Seems like a perfect tool for the job, if you miss it just comes right back.

Or just build your own RF jammer which is as illegal as it is effective.

Generators are 100x more irritating than drones. Drones will fly for about 15 minutes before they run out of juice and are not all that loud. Generators can run for hours, are loud, and too often they are fired up very early in the morning or later in the evening when nature is the most quiet.

And don't get me started on barking dogs...

Back
Top Bottom