New Road Atlas -- a trip TOOL

MarkBC

The Weatherman
Site Team
Today I got the new edition of my favorite national road atlas:

Michelin North America Road Atlas 2012 (spiral bound)

smile.gif

Why I think this is the uniquely superior national road atlas:
Because each page covers a fixed area -- not state-based, but area-based. Traditional USA road atlases typically have one state per page...or in the case of large states like California, 1/2 state on a page, or in the case of those puny Northeastern states, 2 or 3 states per page.
But we generally don't drive based on states. Roads don't stop at state borders or curve away from borders.

The Michelin N.A Road Atlas, on the other hand, divides up the USA into a fixed-mesh, fixed-scale grid. (OK, actually there's one scale for the western US and a finer scale for the eastern US). This, to me, is the approach that makes sense, and for me it works best in practice.

The particular version that I like is spiral-bound, so it lays flat when opened -- a great feature, I think. You can even fold it all the way around to show just that one page. They also make a larger-format version that has the traditional stapled binding that other atlases have.

No, I'm not compensated for this endorsement...just a true-believer!
cool.gif

As I said, they also make one that isn't spiral bound -- their "large format (paperback)" version -- the maps/fonts are bigger (or so I hear, though I haven't seen it). And it has the same fixed-grid approach.
But I prefer the spiral-bound version since it lays flat and the cover and pages can be opened/folded back all the way.

I ordered one from Amazon last week. I believe it is the same one you showed me at Black Rock. Thanks BTW!!! :cool:

The price is realistic. How does it compare to the Delorme.

I liked Delorme's as they had gps tick marks, for us old school users...
The problem I have with Delorme's is that they just don't differentiate much as to "off roads" and provide details. When you get down to that level, things are hard to find and define.

The price is realistic. How does it compare to the Delorme.
I liked Delorme's as they had gps tick marks, for us old school users...
The problem I have with Delorme's is that they just don't differentiate much as to "off roads" and provide details. When you get down to that level, things are hard to find and define.

Are you talking about the Delorme Gazeteer -- the series that's a different book for every state?
The Michelin atlas that I'm talking about in this thread is a national road atlas -- covering the whole USA (and Canada & Mexico at a coarser scale).

The problem with the Delorme that you refer to is why I don't use it anymore -- I use the Benchmark series for detailed state-level atlas.

I ordered one from Amazon last week. I believe it is the same one you showed me at Black Rock. Thanks BTW!!! :cool:

Yeah, I guess I was doing a little proselytizing on that trip -- spreading the "good news".
tongue.gif

The problem with the Delorme that you refer to is why I don't use it anymore -- I use the Benchmark series for detailed state-level atlas.

A big x2 on that. Sold all my Delorme books and am rebuilding with Benchmark.

The thing I don't like about spiral binding is the spiral is always where I want to look,it's in the way.

The thing I don't like about spiral binding is the spiral is always where I want to look,it's in the way.

This atlas doesn't have that problem. The "unique" part of each page is not under the spiral -- nothing is lost.
And there is the option of the "paperback" version -- which has the standard stapled binding -- but is bigger and still uses the same grid system.

Not all the Amazon reviews were very favorable, but hey, one can never have too many maps!

The problem is that there are only 8 reviews...and people are more-likely to even bother to post a review if they're unhappy with the product -- people who like a product just use it, since they have no need to whine. It's the problem with all volunteered-opinion-polls: they're self-selecting -- not a random sample of all opinions.

Of the bad reviews, one person was pissed off because it didn't have enough detail for Mexico (get an atlas for Mexico), one because it didn't have enough detail for northern Virginia (why would anyone want to go there?), one because he didn't understand the scale difference between the spiral bound and the "paperback" when he ordered one (so, a review of Amazon's presentation, not the atlas), and two because they were too, ummm, mentally challenged to understand the grid system.
rolleyes.gif

And then my review is there -- someone semi-known to this group...for better or worse, I guess.
unsure.gif

one because it didn't have enough detail for northern Virginia (why would anyone want to go there?)
unsure.gif

:LOL: I'm not too concerned about the Virginia part. I would like to have the spiral but opted for larger :( $10 delivered is not bad.

I opted for the large version also. I think its an age thing.

My smartphone has a really cool map. Sorta. I didn't realize it until I tried to use it while off of 395 that it only works with a wifi connection /doh.

I know what you mean...
rolleyes.gif

Ever since I passed 40 (which was quite a while ago...) I've used reading glasses. So, for me, since I'm already wearing those cheaters for reading anything closer than arms-length, I'm OK with somewhat smaller print of the spiral-bound version.
I have reading glasses scattered all over the house and in both vehicles... Maybe I should just wear a pair on a little chain around my neck, like old ladies do...or do in the movies, anyway.
tongue.gif

My smartphone has a really cool map. Sorta. I didn't realize it until I tried to use it while off of 395 that it only works with a wifi connection /doh.

Hey Craig, I've been playing with my smartphone mapping for a year now. If you have a google account, it's easy to create your own maps. I find it's very helpful to draw a line that follows a road (even a dirt trail). If you have Verizon, those G maps you create at your desktop are automatically added as a layer in the stock map program loaded on your phone. You can access these with wifi or cell signal.

If you want true offline mapping, I use Backcountry Navigator.

I know what you mean...
rolleyes.gif

Ever since I passed 40 (which was quite a while ago...) I've used reading glasses. So, for me, since I'm already wearing those cheaters for reading anything closer than arms-length, I'm OK with somewhat smaller print of the spiral-bound version.
I have reading glasses scattered all over the house and in both vehicles... Maybe I should just wear a pair on a little chain around my neck, like old ladies do...or do in the movies, anyway.
tongue.gif

I even have some nice sunglasses with a bifocal for reading, no correction on the top, get them through Sierra Trading Post

Of the bad reviews, one person was pissed off because it didn't have enough detail for Mexico (get an atlas for Mexico), one because it didn't have enough detail for northern Virginia (why would anyone want to go there?), one because he didn't understand the scale difference between the spiral bound and the "paperback" when he ordered one (so, a review of Amazon's presentation, not the atlas), and two because they were too, ummm, mentally challenged to understand the grid system.
rolleyes.gif

:LOL: Tell us how you really feel about the reviewers.

I always take online reviews with a grain of salt, if for no other reason than that I often like things that most people do not understand.

Back
Top Bottom