New solar panel finally installed

craig333

Riley's Human
Not sure why getting rear ended motivated me but it did and I finally installed the 150watt panel I ordered on black friday (or whenever they were on sale). I wasn't in a hurry mainly due to winter but it was getting to be time to get it done. One thing that slowed me down a bit was having to relocate my old 100watt panel. I really liked how it sat between the rack bars but there was no way I could redo it that way. However, if I was starting over I still might move a bar back and do it that way.
Original panel

New panel

Between relocating the old panel, fighting the weather (under the carport at least) and drilling holes while balancing with one leg on the ladder it wasn't the easiest install I've done. Unfortunately I couldn't just remove the cross bars and do it all on the ground as the hold down bolts are covered by the panels now.

Got it all wired up using two waterproof (I hope, I'll use some silicone just to be sure once I'm satisfied with the arrangement) junction boxes (makes it impossible to ever short it out). I haven't finished that part yet. Wanted to make sure the wiring was good and still not sure if I want to use screws, glue em down or try two side tape.

I somehow got lucky and had a very brief period of sunshine to see the results.

Actually saw it hit 11.8 amps. Huge improvement over the old panel. Never saw more than 3.6 even in ideal conditions. Looking forward to seeing how it does on a multi day trip running everything.

Oh, I also tested raising the top with the extra weight. Other than a noticeable bit right at the beginning of the push once it starts going up its not bad at all.

My 100 Watts of Kyocera panels didn't cut it during our trip last Fall (Lava Beds, Lassen). Trees, low sun angle. So I have another 100W planned soon . . .

Wow, your MT5 looks good. The display on the one I got was crappy, couldn't read it from anywhere other than straight on. I sent it back, leaving this big ugly hole that is as yet unfilled.
P1020890r.JPG
(Looks like same location as yours)

Maybe I should take a chance on another . . .

Its very sensitive to pressure. Its not bad for the price. Pretty much the same location. Was an easy run there from the controller.

Nice setup. That looks like you are getting some excellent charging from that setup.

I have that same monitor too in my toy hauler. Seems to work great.

You are ahead of me. I got a 150w panel Black Friday and still have not installed it. If not busy it has been raining, sun out and I have something else that needs to be done. Get stitches out of eye lids in a week, first sunny day after that the panel goes up. With the tracks should be plug and play.

I've been impressed with what I'm getting in cloudy conditions. Finished up yesterday, cable clamps and double sided tape on the junction boxes. Solar Blvd is having a sale. Dollar per watt.-

What are you using to store all that power? Also what brand are your panels? I have two cheap panels mounted on the side of the camper but I'm about to upgrade to nicer rooftops. It's hard when you carry surfboards but I gotta do it. Would you change anything about your setup? Where did you run the wiring thru? Thanks for all the help and for taking the time to post pics and report.

Sent from my iPhone using Wander The West

Here's the panel https://www.solarblvd.com/product_info.php?cPath=1_269&products_id=2868
If you look at my first pic you see the wiring run through a marine cable thingy, forget what its called. I wish I had factory wiring but it wasn't an option back then.

Feeds into an Optima yellow top battery, biggest one I could get. Not my favorite battery but I was in a hurry at the time.

How I'm going to carry my kayak now I haven't quite worked that out yet. Ideally I'd put flexible panels under the roof rack but with the failure rate those are having...

They're a bit higher than I like but they'll get good cooling this way. If I were willing to take off my rack and redo it I might rethink the whole thing.

Have you used your max trax much? Did you buy the legit ones or go with the cheaper competitors ? I am looking at mounting a set of them over my side window to prevent break ins. I'm also looking at rigging them up to double as a table.

Just twice, both times in the snow. Once for myself and a few times on a snow run. Interesting thought using them over the window. Not sure how'd you'd use them as a table. Kinda bumpy for sitting stuff on.

IMG_1067.jpg

Finally installed my 150w panel today. Easy pleasey z-brackets mount to the tracks and I bought the solar plugs to tie two panels together. 250 wants on top ;-) should be good to go.

Bill,

Could you please post some photos of behind your wind deflector showing the mounting system and attachment points?

Thanks,

Phil

Wallowa said:
Bill,

Could you please post some photos of behind your wind deflector showing the mounting system and attachment points?

Thanks,

Phil
Let me know if this will show you enough? If not I will get a picture tomorrow. The 100w panel is mounted to the alum angle. The alum angle is mounted to the tracks, I used a 1/4" spacer to get some space away from the roof. Screws are M6 metric round head allens . The 150w is mounted using the "Z" brackes from Solarblvd
2289_0.JPG

Panels are joined together using y-connectors These made it plug and play for my set up.
Y.jpg

Y2.jpg

IMG_1068.jpg

Thanks Bill for the photos of solar panels; nice install...but, I asked about photos of the wind deflector mounts and hardware as installed..photo from the side and behind the deflector...sorry kinda of changed horses on you!

Phil

Wallowa said:
Thanks Bill for the photos of solar panels; nice install...but, I asked about photos of the wind deflector mounts and hardware as installed..photo from the side and behind the deflector...sorry kinda of changed horses on you!

Phil
I will get a picture tomorrow of the deflector.

Wallowa said:

Phil
Here is a link to a gallery I put up with pictures of the wind deflector. Note I got this wing at a yard sale cheap. It did come with an adjustable angle but moved too easy. In 2011 on my first big trip it did move and caused some minor damage to my 2002 Hawk. I rebuild it for my 2013 Hawk and put in fixed struts so the angle could not move.

Back
Top Bottom