new tail lights on an old FWC?

hpcbmw

Advanced Member
I've got a 1980's four wheel camper - Keystone model. The tail lights are HUGE and are kind of shorting out. I'm hoping to just replace the tail lights with new ones, but want to get same size replacements so I don't have gaps in the sheetmetal. The size is about 20" long by about 5" high. I will try to attach a picture.

Anyone know if replacement tail lights this size are available? I can't find anything in Tweetys, CampingWorld or Ebay.

Thanks for any ideas.View attachment 14849

Attachments

• small camper tailights.jpg
    small camper tailights.jpg
    182.2 KB · Views: 157
Not sure where to get those replacements but if they are not cracked or damaged why replace them? I'm new to this entire self repair lately but if they are shorting out I feel it would be in the wiring somewhere or the bulb plug ins might be corroded which you could scrape out (don't forget your safety glasses). In the photo it’s hard to see if they are cracked although I do understand how brand new shiny ones would be quite nice

hpcbmw, I had a similar issue on my 1986 keystone. what i found out was that the contacts just needed to be cleaned up a bit and one of the grounds had fallen off. was a two beer job and after putting in new bulbs they were bright as ever.

Overall, might save you a lot of time and money to just use the existing lights.

Another idea is to make a flat plate of aluminum, that fits the opening and then use some LED lights (surface mount if there is not an opening behind the plate). Paint the plate to match the camper and you're good to go.

I used some of these bezels with rubber mounted truck/trailer lights to replace the cheezy tail lights on our TrailBlazer camp trailer.
http://www.awdirect.com/truck-light-mount-cabinet-w-single-oval-opening-black-steel-lb383/mounting-and-bezels/

I've got a 1980's four wheel camper - Keystone model. The tail lights are HUGE and are kind of shorting out. I'm hoping to just replace the tail lights with new ones, but want to get same size replacements so I don't have gaps in the sheetmetal. The size is about 20" long by about 5" high. I will try to attach a picture.

Anyone know if replacement tail lights this size are available? I can't find anything in Tweetys, CampingWorld or Ebay.

Thanks for any ideas.View attachment 14849

This one is 18" wide.

http://www.etrailer..../30-84-101.html

Thanks for all the ideas. I've had experience with these older tail lights in the past - the tin/metal starts to short out the wires, or lose the ground, or something. Right now i've got the blinker flashing the outside light on the left and the inside on the right, one blinker causes the rest of the lights to dim, left side brake light lights two lights and rt side only lights one, etc. If I can find a quick and easy direct fit, then i only have to disconnect/ reconnect wires. If I have to rebuild, I've got to track down all the shorts, solder new connections (for some reason, soldering never works right for me), make sure all the tin is tightly connected for ground - and then hope I got everything.

IT guy - I like your 18" wide find, I'll contact e trailer and see how close these will fit. Otherwise, I guess I gotta rebuild my existing ones.

Thanks again.

FWIW I rarely ever solder anything automotive any more. I use adhesive lined heat shrink and quality crimp connectors. Other than West Marine I know of no store front that carries the non-insulated (don't want or need that with the H.S.) quality crimp terminals, so usually order them from Del City or Waytek Wire when I have a big project coming up.

Back
Top Bottom