New thermal pack: quilted with lower window covers

CreekRob

Advanced Member
I’m very interested in this. I do a lot of winter camping and am curious to know just how much warmer this option is above the basic one I have. If substantial I could see swapping this one in for the winter and use the original the rest of the year. Love the lower window covers! Hope they offer them separately at some point to give it a try. I know that the reflectix helps a lot on the lower windows.

IDPaddler said:
Those do look nice but my gosh what they charge for both the basic and the upgrade is absurd!
Yeah, I wonder how much an upholstery shop would charge me to add material to the back of my existing, now old fashioned thermal pack. A nice layer of synthetic pile or wool. Don't some people stuff Reflectix in? it doesn't have much if any R value though. I wonder too if I would need to remove some bedding since the thermal pack would seem to add to the volume there.

CreekRob said:
Yeah, I wonder how much an upholstery shop would charge me to add material to the back of my existing, now old fashioned thermal pack. A nice layer of synthetic pile or wool. Don't some people stuff Reflectix in? it doesn't have much if any R value though. I wonder too if I would need to remove some bedding since the thermal pack would seem to add to the volume there.
I had the same thoughts. Plus I think I would feel like I had finally been put in a padded cell. Could they had used something other than quilted bed white!?
My wife just sewed some warmer and nicer looking (IMHO) material over the top of the stock curtains and it made a huge difference in both darkening and insulation.

That price is pretty crazy. I think the original one is way over priced for what it is. With a decent semi industrial sewing machine its likely less than a day of work to improve the original so I might try to do that since I already have the machine to do it.

Wish this was an option in 2021. The basic 1 layer thermal pack is an absolute joke. Too bad I can't send that back for a credit...

jdavis said:
Wish this was an option in 2021. The basic 1 layer thermal pack is an absolute joke. Too bad I can't send that back for a credit...
Maybe someone would buy your used version?

I assume the thermal packs use a flame retardant material? That would be a manufacturer's concern. Well, it is on airplane interiors, but maybe that's a far different criterion.

I have Reflectix in my Bundutec popup and it makes an honest 10 degree difference in cold Temps. The furnace runs less and with a good quilt, it's good to the teens above 0. And for the price of the thermal packs, I can buy a lot of gas. Anyone with access to a sewing machine (or someone who knows how to use one) could make a fabric one for far less.

Jsoboti said:
Wow those look incredible.

Wonder how much heat is retained by way of thicker thermal pack. Anyone have any data/stories to prove if a a marginally thicker thermal pack will make an noticeable difference?

full

Hi There, While the new thermal pack is expensive it is super nice quality and also comes with not only the upper pack but covers for all the 4 of the lower windows. Spent the weekend in Big Bear and the temps outside were in the mid forties and the inside never dropped below ~60.

Also keeps the camper darker and adds a little sound proofing.

They now sell the window covers separately, $300 for the set. I didn't see it on the website so one would probably have to call. I think it's a set for four windows.

K7MDL said:
I have that very carpet from the factory. Sure makes it nice and cozy on the feet. Removing and shaking it out makes cleaning easy. I clean mine every few months with a cheap rug doctor steamer and it looks brand new.

I also spoke with Brenda today and ordered the quilted window coverings. Not ready to bite the bullet on the whole quilted pack, ( already spent the $800 for the old version), but $300 for the windows I can do. I think I will still use my Refectix behind the window quilts, especially in the summer. I read somewhere in here where someone put Reflectix behind there thermal pack and it stays in there when the camper is folded down.

The padded cell is great. We are 11 days into a trip thru Nevada and Utah, with temperatures down to between 36'F and 50'F (so far). But days have been up to 82'F.

We have the thermo pack installed with the window coverings on the side windows. I previously installed thermo pane in the door and 1/2 foam covering the front window with a removable center section to see out the back while driving.

Also new for this trip are foam kitchen fatigue pads on the floor. Costco had a deal on them. We cut one to fit under the front dinette and one down the center aisle. They add to the 1" insulation that I had previously installed under the floor. They pull out for cleaning, can be hosed off and boy are they soft and warm on bare feet!

We sleep E-W and my wife sleeps in front over the cab (the coldest spot). In 11 days, she has not once said she was even somewhat cold. The nights around 40'F or colder are the best test - even with the same thermostat setting, she was often cold or a bit cold at night with the old thermo pack.

I also feel the heater (propane or a small electric when shore power) cycles for much shorter periods. And the propane appears to be lasting longer. This is all subjective, of course, but I'm monitoring the propane consumption and that should be less subjective.

On days in the low 80'Fs, covering the window in direct sun makes a very noticeable difference,

And yes, our padded cell also has some sound deadening.

lprdshrk said:
What do you think about using this material to fabricate an insulated thermal pack? Using the design from previous posts.
https://www.seattlefabrics.com/60-Black-Diamond-Prequilted-Insulation-8-Ounce-Batting-1795-linear-yard-_p_154.html
Looks promising from an insulation/price standpoint, but I’d research the fire characteristics before using it to insulate the pop up material. I’d be looking for it to be self-extinguishing in vertical orientation ideally. If it had a really slow flame spread rate maybe it would be ok, but you don’t want a flare-up on your stove that licks the insulation fabric to set a quickly spreading fire. My guess is that stuff will have a flame spread rate rate that should make you nervous.

For a point of reference for fire standards for spaces not easily exited, check out the interior materials flame test requirements and standards for transport airplanes in Appendix F of 14 CFR part 25.
https://drs.faa.gov/browse/FAR/doctypeDetails?modalOpened=true

Back
Top Bottom