New tires needed. 3 snowflake rated is a must 5 choices in my list.

Dafinga

Advanced Member
Looking to get some new tires for my 2015 Tundra running a Hawk Flatbed. Narrowed it down to Falken Wildpeak AT3W, General Grabber ATX, Cooper AT3, Toyo OC III and Goodyear Duratracs.... Anyone want to chime in? I did look at the pinned article but it is dated. Going to go up a size from 275/65/18's to 275/70/18s.

Thanks

Are your choices 10 ply? I would not haul a camper with less than 10 ply. I use BF Goodrich AT's on my 2013 Tundra with a Hallmark Milner camper. No side-to-side roll and tread adequate for snow.

Bill

I have the Falkens and am pretty pleased with them. We had a light snow winter last year, so I haven't had a chance to use them is deeper snow yet.

Add the Yokohama Geolander A/T G015 to your list. Very happy with these on pavement, snow, ice, rain, gravel.

For those running Coopers, are you running the LT or the XLT. This will be for a Tundra flatbed Hawk combo...

Slowride said:
Curious how you would compare the two for ability in the snow?
Both are good. I feel the duratracs are more showy and a little more aggressive. I just put new Cooper AT3s on my truck.

We have the Toyo OC’s on our Super Duty and so far so good. We probably don’t get as much snow as you do though.

I also have the Falcon Wildpeaks on y Gladiator and have been impressed with them also but only have about 9K on them.

Wandering Sagebrush said:
Here is the ExPo tire review from 2014. It might provide some answers.
Unless I missed it I didn't see much in that test in regards to snow except mention of siping and such

Kolockum said:
Both are good. I feel the duratracs are more showy and a little more aggressive. I just put new Cooper AT3s on my truck.
The reason I ask is I've been running the Duratracs for three years now, and am due for a new set this winter. They are the first set of tires I've owned that have been snowflake winter rated and that was a huge selling point for me as snow performance is probably where I see most of my adverse conditions. on road or dirt.

I purchased after reading reviews and have been extremely happy. Honestly I've been pleasantly surprised by what I could get away with. BUT, they are the only winter tire I've ever run. The Coopers have never really been on my radar, but if your opinion is they are both equal in snow, it's something for me to think about

The 'Mountain Snowflake' symbol doesn't really mean the tires are snow tires, just that they are a little better than 'all seasons'. On my last camper I had BFG ATs for the summer and then Blizzacks for the winter. Even though the BFGs are 'mountain snowflake' rated it was still night and day between those and the true winter tires in the snow. I would say that the blizzacks provide more snow capability than 4wd.

If you really are interested in better snow performance, then true snow tires (Nokians, Blizzacks, Michelin X-Ice etc) are worth a try. I can usually find a cheap set of factory rims on craigslist for ~$200 to use in the winter, then I can switch tires/wheels myself. Overall it doesn't cost you much as both winter and summer tires last twice as long.

PS I am also interested in this thread as I will need new tires soon. Not all that happy that I only have ~30k on a BFG AT KO2s and they are down to < 1/2 tread.

Slowride said:
Unless I missed it I didn't see much in that test in regards to snow except mention of siping and such

The reason I ask is I've been running the Duratracs for three years now, and am due for a new set this winter. They are the first set of tires I've owned that have been snowflake winter rated and that was a huge selling point for me as snow performance is probably where I see most of my adverse conditions. on road or dirt.

I purchased after reading reviews and have been extremely happy. Honestly I've been pleasantly surprised by what I could get away with. BUT, they are the only winter tire I've ever run. The Coopers have never really been on my radar, but if your opinion is they are both equal in snow, it's something for me to think about
Post #6 has Ski3pin’s Cooper review including his rating in snow. I would rate them pretty much the same, although I don’t have nearly the backcountry time on my Coopers.

Back
Top Bottom