New tires

craig333

Riley's Human
Well one of my LT 265/70R17-E BFG Rugged Trail tires had a screw in it causing a small leak. I trek down to Americas's Tire and just my luck, they're closing for three hours for Good Friday. My plan for the day included getting this fixed so three hours later I go back. I also complain about the severe sidewall cracking my not very old tires have. The manager agrees saying they're unsafe and BFG has discontinued those tires. Lets go in and see what we can do.

Well to shorten it up he offers me a $79 credit per tire. Considering I put 30k miles on them I considered that very reasonable. I'd been thinking about waiting until winter to get new tires. I'd pretty much narrowed it down to either the BFG AT's or the Cooper AT3s. My truck seems to like BFG's and they had them in stock so two hours later I'm rolling out on new tires. I'd be testing them out in the snow right now if didn't have family obligations later.

So far they seem to ride just fine.

As noted in a previous thread, I am amazed by the consideration shown by Discount Tire (America's Tire in your neck of the woods). Their front line reps clearly have a lot of latitude when it comes to on-the-spot offers.

My Michelins, purchased from Discount Tire 5 years ago, have 48,000 mostly highway miles and still have 7/32 of tread all around. But I'm looking at the right front going down with a slow leak and hoping to find some sidewall cracks upon close inspection once it gets light. Got a real hankerin' for a set of 315/75R16 boots for the old girl. Discount Tire has the goods and the only question which remains is what kind of deal I may or may not be able to get.

Foy

I've owned BFG Lt tires in the past and was pleased with them but went with Coopers on the F250/Hawk. I tried the new BFG ATs but they seemed to have a lot of sidewall flex, tires felt squishy at hwy speed even at 70-80 psi pressures. Coopers have been good so far, only 5k miles so the jury is still out on mileage.

Someone at Discount/America's Tire understands the business. I've always felt they treated me fairly so I keep going back.

Not to highjack the thread but thoughts on sizes for tires? I have a Tacoma and was thinking of doing a LT245-75-17 instead of LT265 70 17.. Slightly narrower but still ~the same height. My overlanding will be 90% highway and the rest is gravel or logging roads etc. Thought it might help with fuel mileage being less rolling resistance and weight.

Go with the narrower tires. Many benefits and few if any downsides. Even in soft sand they won't be a hindrance; the tire elongates when you air down and this is where the flotation comes from.

Back
Top Bottom