New to FWC and pretty much everything here

sameheller

I have a feeling there's already a solid thread for this but I couldn't dig it up. I'm brand spankin' new to the FWC world and pretty much all things WTW. I own a 2004 Tacoma Prerunner xcab v4 (about 150k miles) and looking into purchasing a FWC Fleet. I'd also need to mod my truck to prepare as everything is stock.

I've read lots about what wheels, airbags, leaf springs, etc to get but having a hard time selecting which way to go.

Also looking into buying a used FWC (I"m in talks for one already) so will need to relay on the factory or online about install, etc.

The weight of the used FWC Flee is 1,130lb. From my research, I believe my Tacoma can hold up to 1800 so that shell, plus 2 people + gear for a Baja trip first, then up to British Colombia might be pushing it.

Looking for any advice on what modifications I should to do the truck. It's still my daily driver so I plan to remove when not 'on the road.'

Another note, which might be an issue but hoping to change that, is I have pretty much 0 mechanic skills which I know isn't ideal for remote Baja roads. Also the truck doesn't have 4x4.

Thanks in advance for any tips here, and apologies if this sort of thread already exists.

Cheers!

Advice, hmmm, I can do that. Where are you located?

For Baja, I'd put good all-terrain tires on it, and a full-size spare if it fits. I'd have a limited slip differential installed in the rear differential, a Detroit True Trac. I'd carry a shovel. I'd also bring a smile and have fun.

Mods to the truck, specific to the camper, I dunno. I think I'd put the camper on the truck and determine how much it squats and how you want to address that. I like putting new leaf springs on, Old Man Emu (OME), but there is more than one way to skin the gato.

Also, is your last name Heller? One of my favorite authors, Joseph Heller.

Welcome to the cult.
One question,you list your truck as a "v4".
Does that mean it's a 4 cylinder engine?
Does it have enough power for what you want?
You might also look into the ATC Bobcat brand.
Frank

If your Tacoma has a payload rating of 1800 lbs. that’s pretty impressive, my 1/2 ton GMC is only 1300 lbs. I put airbags on mine to correct the squat but that’s the only truck mods I’ve ever made.

The first rule of off road driving is never travel alone.

If you must travel alone make sure you always have a cell phone signal.

Yea it’s a 4 cylinder. Not the most powerful but awfully mighty. Honestly I do not know if it’s enough power for a fleet. Guessing a Fleet Shell might be better since I ‘assume’ it’s lighter than the fully loaded fleets.

Yes I believe it’s 1800lb and change. But again, new to this so this is just from my research online.

Would be ideal to find someone with a similar truck whose has a fwc. I'm sure they're out there.

You should have a sticker on the drivers door that will tell you the gross vehicle weight of the vehicle. That figure is the total amount of weight your vehicle can safely carry. If you take that total weight number and subtract how much your truck weighs the remainder will be your payload weight.

For example, my 1/2 ton GMC regular cab 4X4 weighs 5000 lbs. The gross vehicle weight rating is 6300 so my payload is 1300 lbs. This includes all weight, passengers, camper, fuel and gear.

There may also be a tire information sticker on your drivers door that lists air pressure and max payload.

Ditto what Dphillip said. I suspect you're gonna find yourself overweight and under powered. How about a regular camper shell? There are a lot of creative ways to outfit one.

sameheller said:
I have a feeling there's already a solid thread for this but I couldn't dig it up. I'm brand spankin' new to the FWC world and pretty much all things WTW. I own a 2004 Tacoma Prerunner xcab v4 (about 150k miles) and looking into purchasing a FWC Fleet. I'd also need to mod my truck to prepare as everything is stock.

I've read lots about what wheels, airbags, leaf springs, etc to get but having a hard time selecting which way to go.

Also looking into buying a used FWC (I"m in talks for one already) so will need to relay on the factory or online about install, etc.

The weight of the used FWC Flee is 1,130lb. From my research, I believe my Tacoma can hold up to 1800 so that shell, plus 2 people + gear for a Baja trip first, then up to British Colombia might be pushing it.

Looking for any advice on what modifications I should to do the truck. It's still my daily driver so I plan to remove when not 'on the road.'

Another note, which might be an issue but hoping to change that, is I have pretty much 0 mechanic skills which I know isn't ideal for remote Baja roads. Also the truck doesn't have 4x4.

Thanks in advance for any tips here, and apologies if this sort of thread already exists.

Cheers!
Having been to Baja > 50 times I say it depends on where you are going? If you plan on going offroad, not having a 4x4 will limit you. As others stated, have a full size spare, take filters, tools, etc. If you don't have mechanical skills I would say that going off-road shouldn't be on your wish list unless you go with someone else; actually that may not be a bad idea anyway if you are going off-road for some amount of safety.

It's an amazing place and you'll have a great time. Great people, food, etc.! Get insurance too.

I thought of something else.

Reinforce the mounting locations on both the truck and the camper and use better turnbuckles. Roads in Baja can be rough.

Payload for that truck looks to be 1670 - 2005 lbs. Impressive. I have a friend with one. If I remember right it is a 2-wheel drive truck with 4x4 suspension.

I had a 2003 Tacoma extra cab 4 cylinder 4x4 that I used for construction work in the summer and to haul around my sled dogs and gear in the winter. I had an 8 hole dog box mounted on top of the bed with storage underneath, around 1100 lbs of box, dogs, gear and supplies plus another 300 lbs of human driver and pet dogs. At the same time, I towed a 5'x8' trailer with a 4 hole dog box that served as my camper, no idea how much the loaded trailer weighed. I was underpowered up and over mountain passes, no problem though, just downshift and take it slow like a loaded semi. Otherwise I was impressed with the Tacomas performance, that outfit took me everywhere I needed to be from local trailheads down snowy forest roads to races hundreds of miles away. All of this with E rated tires but no other upgrades to the truck. I finally sold the Tacoma and upgraded to a Tundra when I needed to double my dog carrying capacity, still wish I had kept it.

I'm pretty sure your Tacoma could handle a Fleet. I would go for a shell model and keep it as light as possible to help compensate for the lack of power.

With your payload, you're pretty much golden. You won't have much power, but so what, just downshift or put in a little lower set of gears in the rear differential. If you do a limited slip differential and gears, and decent tires, you'll have a pretty capable truck/camper combo for Baja.

Adventurer said:
Payload for that truck looks to be 1670 - 2005 lbs. Impressive. I have a friend with one. If I remember right it is a 2-wheel drive truck with 4x4 suspension.
Yes, 4x4 suspension so Baja roads will be a little easier to navigate. We'll try and avoid anything serious where 4x4 is needed. Glad to get some more confirmation on payload! Thank you.

Adventurer said:
With your payload, you're pretty much golden. You won't have much power, but so what, just downshift or put in a little lower set of gears in the rear differential. If you do a limited slip differential and gears, and decent tires, you'll have a pretty capable truck/camper combo for Baja.
LSD is a great idea. Wonder if it's overkill for e-class wheel upgrade, airbags and/or leaf springs, and potentially lsd and/or lower set of gears. I want the ride to still be smooth when the camper isn't on. thanks for planting the seed.

Found this brochure online, fwiw.

On the mechanical skill issue: having some basic tools aboard can sometimes help, say in a situation where someone with the skills stops to help you but they have no tools with them. Have you got a wrench ? Why, yes I do ...

And the idea works in reverse. You might not be comfortable wrenching for someone else but they might be able to use your tools.

Same goes for recovery gear like a tug strap, shovel, jumper cables etc. A little good karma never hurts when your pushing your comfort limits.

On the upgrades: maybe get the camper on and use it a bit first, then decide what you want to change/can't live with. That then can be tailored to fit with your travel plans with the help of the experienced folks on here.

Sameheller, I'm giving you my two cents as a Tacoma owner, but keep in mind that there will be lots of different opinions.

The year of your Tacoma puts it into the "1st Gen" category. 1996-2004. Most parts are fully interchangeable between those years as the mechanics and frame of the Tacoma are the same. Some interior instrumentation changes for 2000-2004, but under the skin they are the same exact same truck. Might be some small electronics under the hood that are different, but not really a big deal. Some mechanical parts are slightly different for 2001-2004 when ordering replacement parts.

I have an extended cab, 4x4, 6 cyl, manual tranny. So mechanically I have different config versus yours, but still the same base truck. I have an Eagle on the back which I flip on/off when I'm not using the truck for other purposes. I'm assuming you are using the word "extended cab" correctly for this model. That means it's a two-door with couple of extra feet of interior space behind the drivers seat. "Extra cab" Tacoma's are the 4-door version.

The comments from Sleddog are encouraging and my prior Tacoma was a 4cyl engine which was a beast. I thrashed that truck and it kept on giving. But so slow going up hills/mountains when I maxed the payload! After owning my existing 6 cylinder for over 15 years I would never go back to a 4cyl. for carrying a camper. Gas mileage is not all that different between 4 and 6 cylinder when maxing out the payload.

I don't do heavy-duty wheeling, but do enjoy going down the forest service road less traveled, which sometimes becomes a cow path. No winch, etc. But after driving the back country, I would never leave home without 4wd. It's very easy to view a road/path from the drivers seat and think "it's not that bad". The 4wd has gotten me out of several situations quickly and easily. Otherwise I might have spent a few hours trying to extract my rig and ruining an otherwise great day. And 4wd adds significant driving confidence on gravel roads at 30-50 mph when 2wd causes some fish tailing.

My Eagle is a turn-of-the-century camper version, which means it not a stripped down shell and has a 3-way frig, stove, sink, beds, etc. The camper empty dry weight is 900 pounds (confirmed with scale at factory). When loaded with our camping gear, water, etc, it's maxing out my payload capacity. Keep in mind that axle weight is more a determinate of carrying capacity than gross vehicle weight. A camper will put most of the weight on the rear axle. The sticker on your door breaks down the front/rear weight capacity. Go to a public scale and have the truck weighed 3 times: front axle on scale, rear axle on scale, and total weight. If you want to exceed the rear weight, that's up to you. I know that I do on a regular basis and don't see any ill effects. Tacomas are tough but things do break.

I only added air bags to the rear suspension to level it out with camper. I also got adjustable Rancho shocks on all 4 corners, but I might have been able to get by without either or both. The leaf springs on the rear of our trucks are pretty good, but they are also getting old because of the vintage. I got air shocks so I could reduce ride harshness when camper was not on the truck. Also, Taco's are famous for the "Taco lean", which means the drivers side of the vehicle sits about 1-inch lower than the passenger side because the gas tank, driver and battery are all on the same side. It became worse with my camper because the water tank, propane tank, and entire kitchen galley (frig, stove, sink) are also on the driver's side. The air bags can be installed to be independent, so I inflate the driver's side airbag to take out the "Taco lean".

I don't have E-rated tires but I might switch over to them when I need new ones. I didn't want a rough ride on the freeway (but my Taco already is much stiffer than any passenger vehicle), so I got tires which are suppose to be a compromise between off-road and highway. Bridgestone Revo 2 (now called Revo 3). Going into the 3rd year with these, and they seem to be adequate for my off-road needs. I didn't want a tire with an agressive off-road pattern as they tend to be noisy on the highway. I don't really notice any noise from the Brigestones, but truck has other noise at freeway speeds from engine, wind, etc.

Some general observations/tips:

Tip #1 - Your truck has a strong following on Tacoma World (first gen forum). Use it as a resource. There are thousands of members. Also use the search feature as any questions regarding LSD and such have been asked and re-hashed on that forum many times.

Tip#2 - Your truck is approaching 20 years old. Mine is 22 years. Many people embark on a "mid-life refresh" when their truck is in the 150k-200k mileage range. Mechanical parts get old, Certain parts are known to have problems at that age. Radiator, rubber components, etc.

Tip#3 - Have Fun!

sameheller said:
Yea it’s a 4 cylinder. Not the most powerful but awfully mighty. Honestly I do not know if it’s enough power for a fleet. Guessing a Fleet Shell might be better since I ‘assume’ it’s lighter than the fully loaded fleets.
The first truck I had my Bobcat made for was a 08 Ford Ranger Super Cab.It had the smaller V6 and I could notice the "non power"
against the wind and going up hills.
The camper was mounted on the Ford for 2 years with 2 trips to Yellowstone and a 5 week trip to Denali with shorter trips in between.
The trip home from Alaska did it for the Ford.
Just not enough power.
Replaced the Ford with a 02 Tundra AC and that made all the difference.
The camper/truck rode well together,but.
Interesting to hear how your truck works out.
Frank

This is really helpful, thank you! I think we're going to make some adjustments to prep for the camper but this trip will likely be the last big trip as I'm at 148k miles right now and need to drive 1200 round trip to pick up the camper (hopefully).

Going to keep coming back to this response, thank you again!
Wildcat said:
Sameheller, I'm giving you my two cents as a Tacoma owner, but keep in mind that there will be lots of different opinions.

The year of your Tacoma puts it into the "1st Gen" category. 1996-2004. Most parts are fully interchangeable between those years as the mechanics and frame of the Tacoma are the same. Some interior instrumentation changes for 2000-2004, but under the skin they are the same exact same truck. Might be some small electronics under the hood that are different, but not really a big deal. Some mechanical parts are slightly different for 2001-2004 when ordering replacement parts.

I have an extended cab, 4x4, 6 cyl, manual tranny. So mechanically I have different config versus yours, but still the same base truck. I have an Eagle on the back which I flip on/off when I'm not using the truck for other purposes. I'm assuming you are using the word "extended cab" correctly for this model. That means it's a two-door with couple of extra feet of interior space behind the drivers seat. "Extra cab" Tacoma's are the 4-door version.

The comments from Sleddog are encouraging and my prior Tacoma was a 4cyl engine which was a beast. I thrashed that truck and it kept on giving. But so slow going up hills/mountains when I maxed the payload! After owning my existing 6 cylinder for over 15 years I would never go back to a 4cyl. for carrying a camper. Gas mileage is not all that different between 4 and 6 cylinder when maxing out the payload.

I don't do heavy-duty wheeling, but do enjoy going down the forest service road less traveled, which sometimes becomes a cow path. No winch, etc. But after driving the back country, I would never leave home without 4wd. It's very easy to view a road/path from the drivers seat and think "it's not that bad". The 4wd has gotten me out of several situations quickly and easily. Otherwise I might have spent a few hours trying to extract my rig and ruining an otherwise great day. And 4wd adds significant driving confidence on gravel roads at 30-50 mph when 2wd causes some fish tailing.

My Eagle is a turn-of-the-century camper version, which means it not a stripped down shell and has a 3-way frig, stove, sink, beds, etc. The camper empty dry weight is 900 pounds (confirmed with scale at factory). When loaded with our camping gear, water, etc, it's maxing out my payload capacity. Keep in mind that axle weight is more a determinate of carrying capacity than gross vehicle weight. A camper will put most of the weight on the rear axle. The sticker on your door breaks down the front/rear weight capacity. Go to a public scale and have the truck weighed 3 times: front axle on scale, rear axle on scale, and total weight. If you want to exceed the rear weight, that's up to you. I know that I do on a regular basis and don't see any ill effects. Tacomas are tough but things do break.

I only added air bags to the rear suspension to level it out with camper. I also got adjustable Rancho shocks on all 4 corners, but I might have been able to get by without either or both. The leaf springs on the rear of our trucks are pretty good, but they are also getting old because of the vintage. I got air shocks so I could reduce ride harshness when camper was not on the truck. Also, Taco's are famous for the "Taco lean", which means the drivers side of the vehicle sits about 1-inch lower than the passenger side because the gas tank, driver and battery are all on the same side. It became worse with my camper because the water tank, propane tank, and entire kitchen galley (frig, stove, sink) are also on the driver's side. The air bags can be installed to be independent, so I inflate the driver's side airbag to take out the "Taco lean".

I don't have E-rated tires but I might switch over to them when I need new ones. I didn't want a rough ride on the freeway (but my Taco already is much stiffer than any passenger vehicle), so I got tires which are suppose to be a compromise between off-road and highway. Bridgestone Revo 2 (now called Revo 3). Going into the 3rd year with these, and they seem to be adequate for my off-road needs. I didn't want a tire with an agressive off-road pattern as they tend to be noisy on the highway. I don't really notice any noise from the Brigestones, but truck has other noise at freeway speeds from engine, wind, etc.

Some general observations/tips:

Tip #1 - Your truck has a strong following on Tacoma World (first gen forum). Use it as a resource. There are thousands of members. Also use the search feature as any questions regarding LSD and such have been asked and re-hashed on that forum many times.

Tip#2 - Your truck is approaching 20 years old. Mine is 22 years. Many people embark on a "mid-life refresh" when their truck is in the 150k-200k mileage range. Mechanical parts get old, Certain parts are known to have problems at that age. Radiator, rubber components, etc.

Tip#3 - Have Fun!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom