New (to me) Truck ideas and opinions

GBW

Advanced Member
Hey guys,

Just looking for a little recommendations and thoughts. I currently have a Hawk sitting on a 1997 Chevy 1/2. As we've found out, the Hawk weighs quite a bit more than expected. The truck handles it ok. It's a relatively larger half ton but I'm not sure if more would be ideal. I know a few of you guys have switched to a 3/4T and found it night and day improvement. I think I'll head down this route. Although a few here have the new Ford 150, I'd be interested to see how they like it.

So my options right now seem to be narrowed down to the Superduty. I like the idea of a solid front axle (4x4 is a must for me). It also must be a crewcab. Here is where the main debate starts. I'm not keen on a diesel, especially with winter and the truck must also be a semi-daily driver. I'm also not keen on the gas engines. From reviews I've read, they're relatively underpowered (5.4) or RPM screamers and suck fuel at an amazing rate (V10). I'm not sure how many of you guys have the 5.4 in a F250 or 350 but i'd like some opinions of the rig with and without the camper. I'm looking at a wide range of years for the gas, especially 2005+ (5 speed auto) and only 99-03 for the 7.3L Diesel. Unfortunately, really new gas and diesel options are not in the cards right now. I know the 6.2L gas is getting good reviews but its a little too new and pricey for me.

SO lets hear some thoughts! I hate that I can't try out trucks with the camper on! Its a blind faith kinda thing.

I first had my Grandby on a long bed F150 with the 4.6. It managed but was always downshifting and way under powered. Went with a 99 7.3, added a DP Tuner, bigger intake and Ex and there is more power than I need. Can blast up passes now even towing, just keep an eye on the EGT's. An F250 isn't a great parking lot vehicle, the diesel is a great highway hauling machine. For my use, plenty of miles, mostly dedicated to camping trips, I wouldn't want anything else. As for winter I don't have much experience :) (well I used to live in MN but gasser only). Right now my diesel doesn't like cold starts because the glow plugs or glow plug relay needs replacing. Actually I replaced the relay yesterday ($25) and am waiting for some cold temps to see if that helped, if not $80 of glowplugs and labor. Up there I would imagine you'd plug in at night.

You will be much happier and safer putting that camper on a 3/4 or 1 ton truck.

I recounted a story on WTW about a traffic accident that I was almost involved in right after buying my 3/4 ton truck. I won't bore everyone with the details again. The 3/4 ton truck has much more power and gets much better mileage...but the biggest difference between 1/2 ton and 3/4 ton trucks is in the safety while hauling big loads.

The accident happened fast...a motorcyclist came off his bike right in front of me....I couldn't change lanes due to traffic on both sides of me....and was forced to do a panic stop. I came to a stop 15 feet from the guy. He ended up with a compound fracture of one leg but would have been much worse off if I had hit him. If I had been in my 1/2 ton Tundra...that poor guy would have been dead. The 3/4 Ford stops so much better than the 1/2 ton Tundra with the camper on it....like you said....night and day difference.

Stopping my 1/2 Tundra with the camper on it had to be a planned event....forget trying to panic stop. Most of the time accidents aren't planned events...they unfold in an instant with no time for planning.

Leadslead, I do recall your story. That is one of the main ideas why I've been considering the 3/4T or 1T. I also don't need to worry so much about overloading! I've test driven a few superduty's and They're beasts. I imagine it wouldn't be a good parking lot rig but it won't get used for that all that often. I'm leaning towards a diesel and just deal with the winter issues that comes with it. I like the rather effortless power that the diesel provides. I'm usually travelling quite a ways to get to my destinations so the power and great fuel milage is welcome

Leadslead, I do recall your story. That is one of the main ideas why I've been considering the 3/4T or 1T. I also don't need to worry so much about overloading! I've test driven a few superduty's and They're beasts. I imagine it wouldn't be a good parking lot rig but it won't get used for that all that often. I'm leaning towards a diesel and just deal with the winter issues that comes with it. I like the rather effortless power that the diesel provides. I'm usually travelling quite a ways to get to my destinations so the power and great fuel milage is welcome

Your usage is about the same as mine. I still have the Tundra and it makes a good around town vehicle. The Ford (short bed) really is not that much bigger. The only thing I missed with the Ford was a rear view mirror....as the camper blocked the rear view. Looking out thought the window in the back door only gives you a narrow view....so I installed a rear camera (license plate) that ouputs though a screen that goes over my rear view mirror...and like magic...I have a great view of what's going on behind me. The Ford came with a rear view camera mounted in the handle of the tailgate...and when I removed my tailgate to mount the camper...I also removed the camera and mounted it right above the bumper. That camera only works when you are in reverse and outputs on my navagation/radio screen in the middle of the dash...so I added the other one to work all the time and its output is right over my rear view mirror....so I'm not missing anything now.

The Tundra with the Hawk camper pulling my Wells Cargo enclosed trailer with ATV got a whopping 7.7 mpg. The Tundra originally got 15-16 mpg....but when you load it up...the gas mileage went in the garbage. Trips were tough on the Tundra and after one year I burned up the trany. Uphill was a nightmare....45 mph top speed at 5000 rpm. The Tundra loaded with the Hawk took forever to stop. The trailer really doesn't add anything to the stopping distance as it has its own electric brakes.

The Ford is a totally different animal. I just got back from a 6 week Colorado elk hunt and the Ford averaged 15.5 mpg. Without the camper and trailer the Ford got 16.1...sometimes slightly better. The low rpm world of the diesel is amazing. The trip with the Ford is so relaxing. Uphill...no problem....set the cruise and you will stay at that speed no matter what hill you are climbing....passing cars etc. at the posted speed limit. The Ford with the Hawk stops very nicely....the Ford has huge 4 wheel disk brakes. What a nice feeling knowing you can stop when you need too.

I spent years trying to make 1/2 tons work. I now have a 3/4 ton. I've never heard anyone say "I bought way too much truck for this camper". Get the most truck you can afford. As far as gas vs. diesel, that's a tough call. With the diesel option costing over $7K you would have to put over 100K miles on it to break even on the cost. The modern gas engines will easily last 200K miles so longevity is a moot point in my opinion. Both have pluses and minuses. In my neighborhood regular gas is 10% less than diesel so that is a consideration. Good luck with what ever you decide to do.

Mike

I spent years trying to make 1/2 tons work. I now have a 3/4 ton. I've never heard anyone say "I bought way too much truck for this camper". Get the most truck you can afford. As far as gas vs. diesel, that's a tough call.

Yes, the gas vs diesel issue is one that you have to make your own call on based on your own wants and needs.

The 1/2 ton vs 3/4 ton issue is much more cut and dried. I will never go back down to 1/2 ton running gear simply because of the safety aspects.

I'm not a diesel guy, but it has been shown that the 2005-07 6.0L engines (un-fooled-around-with) are just as reliable as the old 7.3's. Just sayin'.

I'm also not a Dodge guy, but *everybody* I know who owns a Dodge-Cummins has been loquacious about their trucks.

I have the 'under-powered' 2006 5.4L CC FX4 F250, and it has been the optimum truck *for me*.

These guys are not kidding. I just went over to a 3/4 ton Chevy, and it is indeed a world of difference.

Haven't been in temps below the teens but my truck starts right up in those conditions without even running the grid heater.

GBW,

You were asking for input on the Ford SuperDuty with a gas engine. I have a '99 F250 Supercab LB 4x4 with the 5.4L gas, manual trans and 4:10 gear ratio. Also have the tow/camper pkg. I have a Grandby Shell on it. When it was new, the best MPG I ever got was 14.5 MPG on the highway. With the camper, I get 11 - 13.5 on the highway but can drop below 11 in town and lower if crawling around in low range. That's running with Oregon's ethanol blended gas. As for power, I don't even notice the camper is back there unless I'm going up a steep grade. Admittedly, that is about the only time I've felt a bit more power would be handy. It's my understanding that they've boosted the horsepower and torgue in the newer 5.4L engines several times since 1999. So, depending on what you're doing, a newer V8 may be fine. If I had it to do over, I might go for the V10. I've asked other owners with V10's what they got for mpg and some have gotten worse and others report results in line with what I get with the V8. When I bought the truck, I wasn't interested in shelling out the additional $3,000 they wanted at the time for the diesel. Plus, my wife can't stand the smell of it. Since I only have 77,000 miles on it after 13 years (purchased in 1998), the high mileage longevity of the diesel was not a selling point.

I also tow a 1971 Airstream with it that has a dry weight of about 3,800 lbs. Again, the truck does fine accept when climbing over some of the mtn passes. Then I have to stay in the right lane with the big rigs. I just take it easy and enjoy the scenery.

I've been very happy with the truck.

Good Luck,

TK

My $0.02...

I've always had 3/4 ton trucks as my other hobby is kind of heavy :D But as I've progressed from the stone age to the modern age the mileage and comfort have gone up though the roof!

My current truck a 2002 Chevy Duramax get 17mpg with the camper and just shy of 20 on the freeway when empty. and it doesn't smell like a diesel, barely sounds like a diesel, doesn't drive like a diesel and rides like a car. The newer diesel trucks are even nicer and even less like the diesel trucks our parents knew....

I have nothing to add except that reading all of this makes me have big truck envy. :(

2004 Nissan Titan with 2011 FWC Hawk.

I have nothing to add except that reading all of this makes me have big truck envy. :(

2004 Nissan Titan with 2011 FWC Hawk.

Well when it comes time to replace your truck.....do it with a 3/4 ton or 1 ton of your favorite flavor and you will be a happier camper.

Mark Ingalls & TGK

Thanks for the responses on the Gas Superduty's. Mark Ingalls- I hope it didn't I come across as a snob with the underpowered mention, I was just recanting what I had read!! I was hoping you guys could tell me with real world experience!

I've pretty much decided that the truck will be a 3/4T+. I would really like a 3/4T but up here, the option for a 3/4T vs 1T was only about $500, so everyone went for a 1T. Its actually kind of difficult to find a 3/4T. I'm sure I'll love the braking power along with the stability in the winds which are frequent and strong in these parts.

I went to look at a '99 with a 7.3L. It was a nice truck, a little higher miles but the body was in great shape. I've got it in at my mechanics, he's doing a pre-buy inspection. I imagine there are a couple little things to fix but I want to avoid the major items. I do have a '73 Landcruiser, so I know all about fixing things all the time!

I think if this diesel hadn't popped up, I would have taken a much harder look at the 2005+ 5.4L gas engines. They got the 5 speed auto. When the truck is 10+ years old, the major cost of the diesel seems to be gone, if you can find one in good shape that is. The prices are slightly higher but definitely not as heavily as new.

I'll keep you guys updated with the progress of this new to me truck.

GBW

I had a F150 and I like my F250 a lot better. For the weight i'm carrying (camper, gear, dog, firewood, 500 pounds of beer), the power is just fine. I researched diesel vs gas quite a bit and I'm glad I got the gas. Quieter, less maintenance, and a lot cheaper up front. The only reason you really need a big American diesel is if you are pulling a lot of weight and need all that torque.

As for mileage - yes it stinks. Something like 14 without a camper and 12 with (averaged over a long trip with freeway driving and a bit of offroad). However, if you are looking at new trucks, the diesel engine is so much more expensive that if you do the math you will find it takes something like 80k miles just to break even on the front end cost.

The one real problem I had is that with my small 27 gallon tank and my crappy mileage that my range per tank was pretty bad, especially when I'm in places like Death Valley or the Black Rock Desert. I got an after market 47 gallon tank and now I'm happy with the truck overall.

What I would really like is a small truck with a big payload and a small turbo diesel engine like the Mahindra. If US companies ever pull their heads out of you-know-where then that's what I will be getting.

I researched diesel vs gas quite a bit and I'm glad I got the gas. Quieter, less maintenance, and a lot cheaper up front. The only reason you really need a big American diesel is if you are pulling a lot of weight and need all that torque.
As for mileage - yes it stinks. Something like 14 without a camper and 12 with (averaged over a long trip with freeway driving and a bit of offroad). However, if you are looking at new trucks, the diesel engine is so much more expensive that if you do the math you will find it takes something like 80k miles just to break even on the front end cost.
The one real problem I had is that with my small 27 gallon tank and my crappy mileage that my range per tank was pretty bad, especially when I'm in places like Death Valley or the Black Rock Desert.

FWIW: This is my exactly my opinion & reasoning that led me to choose gas and my experience, too, on the low-mileage/small-tank issue. Except that I haven't gotten a bigger tank. But haven't yet run out of gas.
unsure.gif

I'm still not with ya on the maintenance thing. My diesel gets a fuel and oil filter. Not much maintenance there. Long as we're all happy with our choice thats all that matters:cool:

I'm still not with ya on the maintenance thing. My diesel gets a fuel and oil filter. Not much maintenance there. Long as we're all happy with our choice thats all that matters:cool:

Just curious what does an oil change run for a diesel? And how often?

For my gas V8 a lube, oil, filter runs about $40 every 3K miles....that's having a garage do the service for me. Just curious, thx.

I use Amsoil which is expensive but I believe it's worth it. A Cummins Fleetguard Stratopore oil filter is $13, fuel filter $15, 12 quarts of 100% synthetic Amsool 15/40 around $65. A local highly recommended mechanic here changes for $25 for a total of $115.

I get to watch to be sure everything is done to my satisfaction and don't have to recycle the oil my self. Priceless

Cummins & Amsoil says every 15,000 miles or once a year for normal use.

Back
Top Bottom