New to the forum!

MarkL

Advanced Member
My wife and I took delivery of our new FWC Hawk on Monday 2/5 and we're looking forward to making our first run next month. We have an '06 Dodge CTD Quad Cab and tow our Jeep on a 7000#, 16' trailer. The FWC fit our needs and planned usage perfectly!

It looks like there's a lot of good people and information on this bb and I look forward to contributing :cool:

Happy Trails!

Mark

Attachments

• Drivers%20Side%20Up.JPG
    Drivers%20Side%20Up.JPG
    69 KB · Views: 326
Welcome. I also tow my Jeep behind a 2004 Dodge. Sometimes trailered, most times flat towed.

new camper

Great looking set up. Looking foward to hearing about your adventures. Hope there are photos too.

Bought our Hawk to fit on our Tundra last August so we could tow Jeep or boat. Been flat towing Jeep but looking into a tow dolly. Hate to haul weight of trailer around.

I have the Warn full floater kit on Jeep so its a breeze to flat tow. I pretty much only trailer if I'm in a group (so theres a trailer along in case someone breaks) or if I"m going a long distance. If I break locally ( I consider local like two hours from home) it wouldnt be that bad to come home and get the trailer.

Flat towing the Jeep isn't an option for me, it's Green Stickered (CA OHV) and not street legal. The CHP would have a field day with me if I flat towed it;)

To anyone flat towing a Jeep, please be carefull! I've had 2 friends roll their rigs when they were flat towing. In both cases the drivers were cut off on the highway, they hit thier brakes, quickly jack knifed and flipped :eek: A flat bed trailer with electric brakes would have really helped in that situation.

Ah, so its no longer really a Jeep anymore but more of a rock buggy?

Never heard of anyone jack knifing one flat towed before. I'd love to know of the specifics about that. My Jeep is fairly short (2.5" lift and 33" tires) and my tow bar is very level. I wonder if that makes a difference.

Trailers can be a real pain sometimes. I've had to drop mine off miles away from where I'm camped because there wasn't room for it. I've also gotten stuck where it was easy just to unhook the jeep and get out, the trailer would have made it extremely difficult.

On the other hand, my trailer has people setup tents on it. Been used as a dance floor. And just a handy place to get stuff off the ground when its muddy.

Yep, it's more Rock Buggy than Jeep at this point.

IMHO, the accidents were due to impatient auto drivers trying to get around slower moving rigs in tow and excessive speed by the people towing the Jeep & Early Bronco. In both cases, the vehicles in tow were going down hill and both had to panic brake to avoid hitting the autos. Both of my friends described the feeling of the vehicle in tow "pushing" the tow rig sideways.

Granted, trailers are expensive & a pain to park and store. That being said, I also believe it's a safer way to transport your Jeep/OHV. FWIW- I flat towed Jeeps for more years that I care to remember (starting in 1975) and never had an issue other than trouble getting Jeeps with broken rear axles home:eek:

Happy trails all!

They sell devices to activate the brakes on towed vehicles. About $1000 at RV dealers.

To anyone flat towing a Jeep, please be carefull! I've had 2 friends roll their rigs when they were flat towing. In both cases the drivers were cut off on the highway, they hit thier brakes, quickly jack knifed and flipped :eek: A flat bed trailer with electric brakes would have really helped in that situation.

The dodge is pretty heavy what with the ctd and the fwc. Dunno if my Jeep could push it much. Now I don't want to get to cocky. I have my share of towing horror stories.

Back
Top Bottom