New to us 2006 FWC

Ekim952522000

Hi all!

This is my first post but I have gotten a lot of info from this forum. We got a new camper and we are loving it! Done only one night in it so far. C93E2DDE-A70C-4B7C-995E-74F0C1626D92.jpeg

I am trying to learn about the camper. I got it hooked up and wired in with some help from threads on the forum.

One question I had was does this thing have a battery separator? I am concerned about it training my trucks battery and not being able to start the morning after camping.

Welcome to the cult.If you follow the large wires from the battery to the wall
where the battery is if you have an separator it should be there.That is the usual
spot I think.Follow the "gray" wire that appears to be the lead from the truck battery.

Depending how much power you use between your drive time you may not draw any power from the truck battery.
If you don't have one you should get one.
Mine is a "two" way one as it lets the solar charge the truck battery when the truck isn't running.
Have fun with the new camper.There is a lot of info here on the site.Ask questions someone will post an answer.
Frank

Thanks Frank,

Looks like I don’t have one, follow the “gray” wire far as I could towards the other side of the water tank and I don’t see one. Is there a certain model anyone would reccomend?

Also apologies about the upside down photo in the first post :)

-Mike

My '08 Hawk had the truck wiring to the camper installed at a local shop. They used a battery isolator, which was located under the hood of my truck.

Ekim952522000 said:
Thanks Frank,

Looks like I don’t have one, follow the “gray” wire far as I could towards the other side of the water tank and I don’t see one. Is there a certain model anyone would reccomend?

Also apologies about the upside down photo in the first post :)

-Mike
Mike, here is a way to correct photos that are not in proper orientation…

https://www.wanderthewest.com/forum/topic/19857-photo-orientation-in-posts/

Welcome to WTW, and congrats on the new camper, it sounds like you’re having fun!

Battery separator will usually be located here . . .

(see pictures attached)

Front / Driver's Side Corner

You'll have to remove a few screws and a few pieces of wood to get access to it, but it is not hard.

Hope this helps.

Attachments

• Battery Separator 33.jpg
    Battery Separator 33.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 106
  • battery separator #27.jpg
    battery separator #27.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 102
My 2006 FWC has a battery separator on the drivers side of the water tank near the pump as shown in Stan's post. I think was standard that year if you ordered the battery option.

Stan@FourWheel said:
Battery separator will usually be located here . . .

(see pictures attached)

Front / Driver's Side Corner

You'll have to remove a few screws and a few pieces of wood to get access to it, but it is not hard.

Hope this helps.
Thank you so much for this I really appreciate it!

camelracer said:
My 2006 FWC has a battery separator on the drivers side of the water tank near the pump as shown in Stan's post. I think was standard that year if you ordered the battery option.
awesome thank you I will dig in there to make sure.

Only option this camper doesn’t seem to have is the artic pack. Are those still available for 2006 models? I see velcro on top but none on bottom.

I got the jacks off and took the tailgate off the truck today.
233B6933-77A0-4C9A-B4DF-ADB67F14FAA1.jpeg

Here’s an easy way to find out if you have a battery separator: with the truck shut off, turn off everything in the camper and then disconnect the camper battery negative lead from the battery. Now try to turn things on in the camper. Does the stuff in the camper still work? If yes, you have no battery separator. If no, you have a separator.

Also, you should be able to hear it click when it switches. They aren’t quiet.

Back
Top Bottom