New truck camper company based on the Tacoma

Holy Catfish...

TruckHouse is in the final stage of constructing its first prototype and is set to build a limited number of BCTs in 2021 with an introductory base price of $285,000. Fully optioned rigs will run customers upwards of $380,000. Interested buyers can learn more and begin their purchasing process directly at www.TruckHouse.com.”

Mini-Earthroamer. Cool concept but $50,000 non-refundable deposit?!

I love my Tacoma and it still surprises me with its off-road capabilities, hauling and power. But I really do believe it is the wrong chassis for something like this.

The cargo carrying capacity of this motor home will be minimal.

Winnebago's new Ekko motor home on a dually Ford twin turbo V6 Transit AWD chassis will have way more storage and cargo capacity. And while it won't be as off road capable as the Tacoma MH, this Tacoma Truckhouse won't exactly be a rock crawler either.

This caused me to nearly cover my keyboard and screen with wine. ROTFL! :LOL: :p

I have to agree with Kolockum, not enough truck there, especially that 3.5L 6cyl. motor. Even with the optional regearing I believe power will be lacking.

I paid about half that in total cost combined for both my units, a 40ft diesel pusher motorhome and a ford F150 Fx4 with a FWC Hawk, including all mods and getting all the equipment to tow the truck behind my motorhome. I wish them luck.

There's been a growing crowd over the last 40 years, accelerating in the last few, where the higher the price and perceived exclusivity the greater the desire. Sub-IKEA-quality outdoor furniture for thousands of dollars each piece. Unreliable supercars in the low millions where an oil change is such an ordeal it costs thousands (multiple inaccessible sumps?) and that are not driven, but instead shown to visitors in the climate-controlled garage. So, as with the rest of the RV and boating market, this is just one more venture trying to cash in on the crowd where a $50K deposit to a company that may or may not be able to deliver means little more to the buyers than the price for a set of Michelins at Costco vs the same set at Sam's Club for the rest of us. Of course, trends like this never go on forever.

Besides the obvious absurdity of this, it also apparently semi-vaporware. Who in their right mind would put down a non-refundable $50K deposit on vehicle that they have not even built the prototype of? There seems to be an increasing trend of startups who make a slick rendering of some fantastic looking device, or maybe a half finished prototype with some fancy drone footage in a pretty place, then start taking deposits for delivery in 12 months, no wait 18 months, we will definitely have it to you in 24 months.

rando said:
Besides the obvious absurdity of this, it also apparently semi-vaporware. Who in their right mind would put down a non-refundable $50K deposit on vehicle that they have not even built the prototype of? There seems to be an increasing trend of startups who make a slick rendering of some fantastic looking device, or maybe a half finished prototype with some fancy drone footage in a pretty place, then start taking deposits for delivery in 12 months, no wait 18 months, we will definitely have it to you in 24 months.
I thought my posting of this article would elicit a few responses!
i couldn’t agree with you more Rando...

I just looked at the head on photo on the company's website that Mr. Sage linked to. Anybody else notice the Tacoma had stock mirrors that cannot see past the camper? I'd pay extra for good towing mirrors so I could see behind me. I guess I'm just a practical old fart.

Back
Top Bottom