New Truck gearing

RoadHermit

Advanced Member
I have decided that a GM extended cab long box will be the way to go for me. Probably 3500 over the 2500. The extra capacity might be a blessing down the road or for resale. How about the gearing? 3.73 or 4.10? I don't plan on beating up my new truck so I will be doing mild off road travel. (mild, now that's subjective isn't it) What do you all think?

I have decided that a GM extended cab long box will be the way to go for me. Probably 3500 over the 2500. The extra capacity might be a blessing down the road or for resale. How about the gearing? 3.73 or 4.10? I don't plan on beating up my new truck so I will be doing mild off road travel. (mild, now that's subjective isn't it) What do you all think?

Be very careful here. The temptation to get lower gears (higher numeric value)exists, but you are not pulling stumps out on the farm, you'll be traveling long distances with a load that is way under payload. The lower gears mean your fuel consumption will be 10% greater and the wear on your engine will be 10% greater. Noise at cruising speed will be higher with the 4.10's.

If you are buying a diesel, the low end grunt a diesel gives you makes the lower gears even more of a waste.

If you are going 4x4, multiply the 1st gear x low transfer case ratio x 3.73. If it adds up to 50:1 or better you are in great shape for off-road use.

Anything you can do to find the 3.73 your choice, you'll be better off. Fuel ain't getting cheaper, it'll be $7 per gallon in a few more years.

You know, if GM supplies the truck in 3.73 and you're not using the truck to even 1/2 way to its limits, your best choice is the 3.73. If there ever was the ideal example of someone who should order the 3.73, you're the poster child.

GeneRubin,
Thanks for the explanation! I'm seeing a lot of 4.10's on the lot in the 3500. If I have to order one with the 3.73 that's what I'll do. The camping season is over for this year for me anyway.

If diesel, the only choice is 3:73 with the GM twins.

If gas, I would go 3:73 as Mr. Rubin suggested. With the new 6 speed transmission the low gear is equal to the old 4 speed auto with the 4:10. If you were going to tow HEAVY (think big 5th wheel or trailer), I would probably go with the DMax first or the gas with the 4:10 ratio.

What ever you do don't forget that Eaton rear locker, option G80. I know it is standard on the LTZ package and I believe the 3500HD.

I would only go with the 4.11's IF I lived in an area where I was frequently crossing the Continental Divide or similar grades, or I was frequently towing heavy over mtns. In my mind the Sierra's are only borderline and are likely fine with 3.73's. My CTD does just fine with 3.54's and 315/75R16's in ranging all over the KA deserts & mtns. There are times that I covet a Gear Vendors OD in addition the trans' OD to drop my rpm's even more and/or go faster. I would not bother with a gasser.

You can't look at rear gearing alone. You have to look at your various transmission gears and also tire diameter. Then you can look at various RPMs for your speed and your truck's power band. My truck has 3.73s and with my slightly oversized tires (32.7" dia) I have a weak band around 45-50mph for going up grades based on my transmission gears when I have the camper on it. Too fast to run in 2nd and too slow for 3rd, I'm sure it would be fine with the stock tires which are something like 30.5". I'll likely be looking towards 4.11s in the future, running the numbers it seems to close up that power band gap w/o taking it out too hard on the high speed. I'd be looking at 2100-2200rpm to do 80mph in 5th which isn't too bad, if I went steeper to 4.56s I've have a ton of mechanical advantage for climbing grades but to do 80mph I'd have to run around 2500rpm so I'm thinking 4.11s right now.

Keep in mind the above is with a gas engine, I don't have the lovely low end torque the diesels do. Life is a compromise.

Pods8, if you want to explain further PM me with how to figure this all out. This is an interesting topic since I don't know how this all works yet.

Turns out I probably have to go Ford. The Alaskan campers don't fit in a GM truck and Dodge seems to only have crew cab or regular cab in an 8 ft bed. Ford has the F350 with extended cab and 8 ft bed. Gearing is 3.73.

First you need to collect a few pieces of information. Go here and plug your tire size into the calculator http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html and it'll give you revolutions per mile as one parameter. My 285/70-17s revolve 617 times per mile. Then you also need to know your transmission gears. My truck has the 545RFE and the ratios are listed up right on wikipedia as well as other places (2nd is 1.67:1, 3rd is 1:1, 4th is 0.75:1, 5th is 0.67:1).

Once you have that isn't just punching up the numbers, if you make a table in excel you can compare what speed you'd be in different gears for a give RPM or vice versa.

MPH = (RPM x 60 minutes per hour) / (REV per MI x Rear axle ratio x Trans gear ratio)

So in my truck with 3.73 rear gears you can look at what 2300rpm gets you in terms of speed in terms of the various trans gear you're in:
(2300 x 60)/(617 x 3.73 x 1.67) = 35.9mph in second gear
(2300 x 60)/(617 x 3.73 x 1) = 60mph in third gear
(2300 x 60)/(617 x 3.73 x 0.75) = 80mph in 4th gear
(2300 x 60)/(617 x 3.73 x 0.67) = 89.5mph in 5th gear

If I went to 4.11s in the same scenario
(2300 x 60)/(617 x 4.11 x 1.67) = 32.6mph in second gear
(2300 x 60)/(617 x 4.11 x 1) = 54.4mph in third gear
(2300 x 60)/(617 x 4.11 x 0.75) = 72.6mph in 4th gear
(2300 x 60)/(617 x 4.11 x 0.67) = 81.2mph in 5th gear

On my truck being the gas engine it is, I really need to be 2000rpm or better to make torque needed to pull up grades (diesels are a different story). When you make a table of it all there is a nice gap in the 2nd to 3rd shift. Second needs to pull into the 3500-4000rpm range to down shift 3rd into the 2100-2300 range to be moving around 55-60mph, when on the expressway I can quickly spool up 2nd and drop into third and keep pulling in that gear. However if I am on a slower highway in which I'd need to hold something like 50mph up a grade 3rd gear is too low of an RPM and instead I'd need to sit in 2nd gear at 3200rpm. If I switch gears to 4.10s I can do that at 2150 and should still be in a position to hold the gear. 4.56s would be awesome in that I'd be at 2350rpm which means I'd have even better performance in the 40-60mph range but would take a beating on the higher speeds (as mentioned above 80mph would be 2500rpm or so verse about 2250 with 4.11s).

As mentioned this is all mainly because I'm not running the smaller tires the truck was designed for. Not that I'm running huge tires but it does make a difference when you add up the tires/camper weight/steeper grades. I could live with/deal with the 3.73s but its not ideal and I think it'll be easier on the truck if I eventually go over to 4.11s. I'm not rush you the door to do so though. :p

food for thought.

we ordered a 2012 3500 4x4 chevy with 3.73 ratio.(gasser 6.0)
rig weight as driven from factory (state weight ticket) 8,700 lbs
factory gvw is 10,700 lbs.
we now have 9000+miles on it since april 6 speed auto with manual/tow mode.

we towed our toyota from factory (so. carolina) to so.calif no problem plenty
of power.

we already have a lot of off road/(so-so roads saline valley.etc.) gearing is fine
have NO reason for lower gears.

overall milage(all total miles,city,idling,highway,off road 4x4) 11.5 mpg 87 octane.

hope this helps.

Les,lqhikers

Les,

That is spot on for what I got with my Tiger CX. I just clocked over 7000 miles (mostly highway) doing a Nat Park trip. It's a 2003 GMC 2500HD with 4.10 gears. I got 11.6 mpg. Most of one tank was under 50mph and it went up a little over 12 mpg.

Thanks!

overall milage(all total miles,city,idling,highway,off road 4x4) 11.5 mpg 87 octane.

hope this helps.

Les,lqhikers
[/quote]

Pods8,
Thanks! Now I have something productive to do with my computer this weekend!

we already have a lot of off road/(so-so roads saline valley.etc.) gearing is fine
have NO reason for lower gears.

Is the transmission the GM GL80 in that?

If so its got very nice ratios in the speed band I have issues with and can easily see 3.73s being fine:
1st 4.027
2nd 2.367
3rd 1.532
4th 1.152
5th 0.852
6th 0.667

6th is the same as my 5th. My second is steeper that your 3rd and you have a better spread between 3rd and 6th. My main issue area is jumping from my 2nd gear 1.67 up to 3rd 1.0. I'd probably quite happy if my 2nd was the 3rd you have and the same for the rest of the gears all the way down (having the steep 1st and 2nd you have wouldn't really matter to me). Nice looking design. :)

Is the transmission the GM GL80 in that?

If so its got very nice ratios in the speed band I have issues with and can easily see 3.73s being fine:
1st 4.027
2nd 2.367
3rd 1.532
4th 1.152
5th 0.852
6th 0.667

6th is the same as my 5th. My second is steeper that your 3rd and you have a better spread between 3rd and 6th. My main issue area is jumping from my 2nd gear 1.67 up to 3rd 1.0. I'd probably quite happy if my 2nd was the 3rd you have and the same for the rest of the gears all the way down (having the steep 1st and 2nd you have wouldn't really matter to me). Nice looking design. :)

Right now I don't have a truck and from what I've been told an Alaskan camper won't fit in the GM bed because they narrowed the tailgate opening on their last restyle. I may have to go with a Ford F350. I have no idea what's in a Ford yet.

Looks like the new fords have the 6R140.

Pretty similar gearing to the GM:
1 3.97
2 2.32
3 1.52
4 1.15
5 0.86
6 0.67

I think the single rear wheel tire is a 265/70-17 so that'd be 638 rev/mile. Off hand you'll likely find the 3.73s to fit the bill with those trans gears and that tire I'd think but play around with it if you want to see the difference. :)

I have 3.42 gearing in my Dodge 2500 and love it. I've never felt like I need the lower gearing and it is really nice for the long road trips. I tach 1800rpm at 65mph, with 285's. Nice and low and right in the preferred range for the Cummins diesel. I do have a manual though, not sure if it would seem too high geared with the automatic.

My 02 F350 diesel longbed crewcab single rear wheel came with Ford's so-called off road and trailering packages. It's geared 3.73. Unless I were attempting to get to a combination of gear ratio and tire diameter perfectly matched up to some particular roads and routes, I'd suggest just sticking with 3.73. My 4R100 auto trans has a 0.71 : 1.00 overdrive 4th and a 1st gear, in low range, so slow that I can easily out-walk it. A couple of years back I used solely unmodified engine braking in low range on a steep descent from Comet Mountain, MT. I imagine I could have stopped it altogether with a Jake brake. Point being there is an almost infinite range of engine rpm and traveling speeds one can achieve with 3.73s, from enough low-end to be fearful of breaking driveline components to 1,750 rpm "fast idle" down the highway at 60 mph. I don't even get to 2,000 rpm until I reach 68-69 mph. On an unloaded basis, driving 55-58 mph over long stretches of NC's Coastal Plain flats, I've measured an honest 22.7 mpg. I see around 15 mpg more fully loaded and pulling a big utility trailer, and that would probably be better if measured outside of the Blue Ridge Mountains where I typically go with the trailer.

Foy

Looks like I'm not going with the truck and Alaskan camper route. I decided I like having the shower in the camper and since my Tiger CX is bought and paid for I'm going to keep it a bit longer. If I don't get a good trip or two planned for next year then I may put it up for sale.

In the mean time I needed a daily driver and tow vehicle for my equipment trailer so I picked up a 2013 Silverado 1500 with 3.42 rear and 5.3L. I must say I am impressed with the truck. It replaced my aging S10 which I thought I would miss. 10 minutes in the Silverado changed that feeling!

Back
Top Bottom