New Truck Security Problem

I read a similar report that is even more disturbing. Seems new bad techno folk can clone your key and using other nefarious measures steal your vehicle.

I have remote start but you still need the key to actually drive the truck and need to push the button for entry so I hope I am good.

Wrapping your fob in aluminum foil or putting it in a metal lined drawer should disable the remote entry if you have that. Kinda a cheap Faraday cage.....

We live in times where your truck, identity, just about everything is vulnerable because of technology.

Take the measures you can take and hope for the best.....

Happy Campering:)

I suspect there is a way to "disarm" that functionality via the screen in the truck. I know there are a ton of options in that menu.

We have a 2015 RAM and find that the keyless fob is not really close enough while in the camper. However, the system is hyper sensitive to high humidity and rain. With the fob anywhere in the front half of the camper the doors randomly unlock and lock. Our fix is to keep the fobs all the way to the back end, this has stopped the phantom lock issue.

Dean

The ability to intercept and decrypt RF signals is nothing new.

Boeing had to beef up the RF security between the cockpit and other components on the 787 due to hacking concerns.

Hacking and stealing BMW motorcycles with "Keyless" ride has been a problem in certain areas of the world.

Vehicle over-the-air signals are easy to intercept and with the right gear, can be hacked. But, 99.9% of the thieves/hackers out there with the "right" gear aren't looking to steal your ride, they're looking for a much, much bigger payday.

Surfers have been using AL foil to wrap then hide their fob on their vehicle for years. Often times "low tech" is the best tech!

I specifically did not get the “key and go” for reasons like this.

I did some tests today with our 2018 Ram with key and go and our Hawk side dinette. First I placed the key fob on the shelf by the camper door, which is where we always put our keys anyway. I was not able to unlock the truck doors by grabbing the handle. Then I put the fob in the camper drawer closest to the fridge, which is our junk drawer and the only other place our key fob would be in the camper at night. I still could not unlock the truck doors. I did not test the ignition since there was no point.

So I find the article kind of silly. To each their own, but I cant imagine having the key fob up in bed while we are sleeping.

Andy Douglass said:
So I find the article kind of silly. To each their own, but I cant imagine having the key fob up in bed while we are sleeping.
As I understood it, he used to take his keys up into bed so he could activate the alarm if he heard someone around his rig.

Considering the way the authorities get all bent out of shape when you shoot an intruder, I can't really say that's a bad idea.

Optimistic Paranoid said:
?.......
Considering the way the authorities get all bent out of shape when you shoot an intruder, I can't really say that's a bad idea.
I almost spilled my coffe this morning reading this!

I stuck with low tech - key entry and start - for a couple of reasons including my own Pauli effect on electronics, apparently! That said I couldn't figure a way to prevent anyone from breaking into my truck or camper, where I live ( but don't park my truck ) these guys can get into anything. But the day after I got my truck I had a Ravelco kill switch installed. Plusses and minuses involved like anything, and unfortunately anyone can break a window and get in, but the only way to steal my rig is with a tow truck. A large one. Anyone goes the Ravelco route I'd recommend ordering extra plugs and stashing them here and there, which is something I still need to do! Pretty happy with this setup so far.

And thanks for the article!

Andy Douglass said:
I did some tests today with our 2018 Ram with key and go and our Hawk side dinette. First I placed the key fob on the shelf by the camper door, which is where we always put our keys anyway. I was not able to unlock the truck doors by grabbing the handle. Then I put the fob in the camper drawer closest to the fridge, which is our junk drawer and the only other place our key fob would be in the camper at night. I still could not unlock the truck doors. I did not test the ignition since there was no point.

I found out my key fob would open the doors on my 2016 Ram when locked inside my Hawk by the door. I ended up putting them on the shelf behind my portable fridge. That fixed the problem.

EDR said:
I found out my key fob would open the doors on my 2016 Ram when locked inside my Hawk by the door. I ended up putting them on the shelf behind my portable fridge. That fixed the problem.
I wonder if they have tweaked the fob sensors between model years. I have had the truck for a month and I am still in "tech-shock" with all the features. Plus it's my first diesel, and I can't stand relying on something that I don't at least understand partially, so I have been trying to learn what all this ignition due to compression and turbo witchcraft is. My old truck was a 2005 Sierra which was pretty luxurious when we bought it new, what with power windows, a key fob that unlocked the doors and volume controls on the steering wheel. Now I have a truck that literally does what I tell it to do, an engine that could power a small city, and an exhaust system that is probably smart enough to pilot a spaceship.

Back
Top Bottom