New Truck Tonneau Cover Help

dasadab

Advanced Member
Hi Folks,
I just bought a my first new truck in many years and am very close to ordering a FWD Hawk. I bought a 2500HD Silverado crew cab, standard 6-6" bed. When the Hawk is not on the truck it will be used as a daily commuter for me in L.A.; used by my son to continue to develop a urban garden for the homeless which is adjacent to a large homeless shelter (he has about 1.5 acres); and for groceries, etc.

I know zero about tonneau covers. Maybe I don't need one at all. But I was thinking that if it improved mileage and it could come on and off easily for hauling dirt, etc., maybe it would be a good idea.

I also need a way to keep luggage and odds and ends that might get thrown in the truck from flying around. It seems like I am doing runs to the airport for incoming family and friends all the time.

So, thinking out loud, maybe some sort of cargo net would be fine and forget the cover. What do you think?

Thanks,
Dean

I have one of the Access brand. Affordable and I like it. I read a research report when I was looking for one that showed there would be little impact on mileage. If I remember, they showed the bed just filled with air when going down the highway and it acted the same as if a tonneau cover was there. Anyway, it is useful nonetheless. Kind of a pain to switch over after taking the camper off though. Look for one that you can leave the mounting hardware in place. On mine, I have to take the side channels off to get the camper in the bed.

I love my Backflip, 4 sectioned, solid aluminum cover. It has two rails along the top of the bed that were able to be left in place when the ATC Bobcat went on. We haven't pulled the Bobcat off yet, so I don't know what a pain it will be to go back and forth. You also have to think about whether your tailgate needs to come off or not, most do. That adds an extra step of complexity.

A net would be simpler if it meets your needs. But if you want solid, I recommend Back Flip. I never had any leaking, although that can be an issue.

http://www.bakflip.com/

I used a Torzatop, three section, fabric aluminum framed tonneau cover for the eight years before I bought the FWC. It went on and off in less than two minutes, but provided complete coverage when on. Weighs little, easy enough to move during install and removal. No one could see what,if anything, was in the bed so it provided security in that way. I could use it on trips when my stuff was in there covered for the long portions, but fold it front for when I needed more height for when I was shuttling multiple white water boats.

It was ideal for my usage pattern.

There are some rigid folding models that require no rails or even tools, install in a few minutes, and provide flexibility for different loads. They even provide a little security so long as the tailgate is locked. There are many models available; cost varies depending on materials and quality. Fit, ruggedness, ease of cleaning, water tightness, looks and customer service are factors to consider. For example the Extang Solid Fold 2.0 is among the best but costs about $800. Less expensive covers may be more to your liking if they fit your needs.

Claims of better fuel economy with a tonneau cover are usually based on a 2007 wind tunnel test published by SEMA (Specialty Equipment Market Association). They measured drag coefficient of various covers on different trucks and found that covers improved drag by 5.7% on average which they said would convert to a 2% to 3% gas mileage improvement. More recently Consumer Reports ran a controlled test on a 2013 Ram Hemi and found that dropping the tailgate or using a tonneau cover decreased mileage by a little less than 1 mpg.

Had a snug top toneau cover on my 2005 Tundra until I got my first Hawk. Did not see much difference in milage. Loved that things were out of sight. I had the SL model and added a kicker that ran off my alarm remote so I could click a button and open it. To take it off needed two people and took longer than loading the Hawk. I sold it when I got my Hawk.

When my Fleet is Off...my Undercover tonneau cover is On. The Undercover is a heavy duty lid constructed of ABS that supports a 1000 lbs. It wraps the truck bed walls and has rubber weather seals and has never leaked. It weighs approx 50 lbs and I can install it myself if I can't find help. Fastening the lid to the truck takes 30 sec. When I buy my next truck, the Undercover would be the first accessory to be installed.

I have the Undercover version that is a single section and is non-folding.

Check them out...http://www.undercoverinfo.com/

Back
Top Bottom