New Truck

Ben
You guys are the best. I have been touting your site to anyone that asks about my camper. You can bet if this rig doesnt work out on the new truck I'll be giving you a call.
Thanks, Jay

Liner Material And Vlp

Jay,

Just packaged up your material and VLP. Let me know if you need any more. I sent you a large enough piece to cover the measurements that you gave us.

Let me know how it works out for you.

Sincerely,

Ben
www.allterraincampers.com

repair kit

Jay,

Your welcome and happy holidays to you and your family.

Sincerely,

Ben

Hi Ben & Marty,
Well there's the Ranger on my Dodge. Its sitting on 4X4's giving me about an 1 1/4" from the camper to the roof of the cab. I'm sure this is do-able. If I understand you correctly I need 3 to 3 1/2" for frame flex. Which means lifting it up another 2 1/4". I must say its kinda of scarry lifting the camper up that high. I don't have a great deal of confidence in the plates and jacks. Congratulations on all the new orders.
Jay

Attachments

• Ram Camper small.jpg
    Ram Camper small.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 376
Jack Brackets

Looks good but I believe that the first time you go over a speed bump with just one tire your going to get a new crease in your roof. Might want to test that out by driving a front tire up on something and seeing how far the truck flexes. Too much and the bed looks like it will be hitting the roof.

The jacks should not have any problems picking the camper up. I assume that the brackets you added are 1/4" and that should also have no problem lifting the camper. We lift the campers a lot higher for some of the newer trucks with those same jacks.

Be careful.

Happy New Year

Sincerely,

Ben

I appreciate the jacks can lift the camper its just a little scary to see it up there. I think I'll add a couple of 4x's running the length of the bed and set the cross bed lumber on them. That will raise the camper up another 3 1/2". I'll have a total of 4 3/4" of clearance which should be plenty. I'll use it that way on my Death Valley trip on the 13th and adjust it as needed when I get back.
Jay

camper lift

That should give you enough clearance. I take it that just driving one tire up on something put the bed into the roof. I have seen some major flex in some trucks and campers over the years. Better to be safe than sorry. Besides driving one front tire over something to see how close you come, you might try the same with a back tire. The back tire lifting over a curb or bump with cause the bed to flex more than the front tire doing the same thing and it will give you a better idea of how much the camper will move towards the roof while you are traveling.

Have a good trip and a Happy New Year.

Sincerely,

Ben

Here's a pic from my trip to Anza Brrrrrrrreggo. I think I have everything adapted so the Ranger FWC fits the Dodge. There's about 4 inches of roof clearance.

The careful observer will notice that the front of the camper is further above the bed rail than the rear. I thought this was just an issue (for whatever reason) with the T-100 but now it must be a camper problem. Well not really a problem since everything works ok. It does however offend my sense of asthetics and symetry. So I think I'll lift the rear up 3/4" just so it looks better.

Jay

Attachments

• Small Ram Camper 001.jpg
    Small Ram Camper 001.jpg
    143.9 KB · Views: 325
good looking set up

Looks like you got the bugs worked out and are out enjoying the camper. Looks good.

Sincerely,

Ben

Here's a pic from my trip to Anza Brrrrrrrreggo.....

.... the front of the camper is further above the bed rail than the rear. I thought this was just an issue (for whatever reason) with the T-100 but now it must be a camper problem. Well not really a problem since everything works ok. It does however offend my sense of asthetics and symetry.

Well you sure don't hear too many reports of being cold while camping in AB. Most folks there are sweating like crazy. I'd like to get there for a visit someday. What's the van in front of you? A Sportsmobile I assume?

Interesting you mentioned the camper sits higher in the front than the rear. On my T100, when looking at it from the rear, it looks a little cock-eyed to the drivers side. I have a couple of pics but it's not so noticeable in photos. I measured from bottom corner to top corner on both sides and the measurements were the same. I'm thinking when it was installed maybe we didn't line it up on the raised ribs of the bed...? Don't know for sure but it offends my sense of symmetry too!

Good looking outfit, I bet you're loving the difference between the T100 and the Cummins. Sell your T yet?

The van is a '05 Sportsmobile with a diesel. It's a very nice vehicle but its a little steep (he claims he paid $70K) for my wallet. And its seems to me that its a single use vehicle.

I had my T for ten years and really loved it but it just didnt handle the camper to suit my taste and I was only getting 12 to 13 MPG with the camper on. I sold it on Craigs list within 2 hours after listing it for $7200.

I love this new Dodge with the Cummins. It really is a great truck.

Jay

I appreciate the jacks can lift the camper its just a little scary to see it up there. I think I'll add a couple of 4x's running the length of the bed and set the cross bed lumber on them. That will raise the camper up another 3 1/2". I'll have a total of 4 3/4" of clearance which should be plenty. I'll use it that way on my Death Valley trip on the 13th and adjust it as needed when I get back.
Jay

Jay,
Can you post some pictures of the platform you built? And did you attach it to the camper so that it comes off when the camper is removed? It looks like it only fits the truck bed and doesn't support the 18" that sticks out of the bed. Is that correct? Please fill us in on the experiences you have had with the platform - :D or :mad:. I'm looking at getting a new Tundra and they have a much deeper bed than my current one.
Thanks!
Jim

Jim,
Its just two 6f oot 4x4's that run the length of the bed and sit in 2 of the bed channels. Accross them there are 2 more 4x's with tapered ends so they can slide into the side wall channels. The bottom of these two have been routed out to fit over the length ways 4x's holding everything together. it all fits together like a chinese puzzle. We're in the process of getting ready to move so everything is in storage at the moment but when I get the chance I'll post a couple of pix.
Jay

Two things;
Jay, you never told us what kind of milage your getting with your diesel. Inquiring minds (nosey?) would like to know?

Do you think you could create storage in the platform you build?

Dave

camper frame.jpg
Jim,
I had to go over to my storage space yesterday so I took this pic. As you can see the “platform” isn’t very complicated. If you look closely you can see the routed groove in the length way beams, and the tapering of the cross members. The cross members are on their side for storage but you can see the centering guides on them. You can also see the shackles and chain I used to extend the stock turnbuckles. The short beam in the middle is what I use to keep th camper from bumping up against the front of the bed.

Dave,
I do have a lot more space between the camper and the bed rails. I’m able to store a lot fire wood and other stuff in there and can get to it because of that space. I like that even though it isnt as asthically pleasing to the eye. There is space under the long beams for poles, rakes, shovels and the like. Once we move I many put this camper up for sale and get one that made for the truck but I’ve used this set up 6 times now and find it works really well. Oddly enough it seems the camper is actually more stable on rough roads now.

I've have about 4500 miles on the dodge and I'm getting between 17 and 19 MPG with or with out the camper on. It should go up to the low 20's after 15000 miles. I wonder what SimiMike gets with his CTD.

I hope that was helpful.
Jay

Back
Top Bottom