New truck

randygirl

After 29,000 miles with the camper on my 2004 Tundra, I have realized that it was not gonna do what I needed anymore. Too many scary situations in which I wasn't sure the truck would stop and it just isn't worth my life!
So, I am having to retire my Tundra(although I'm not sure I'm gonna sell it, might just use it as a DD).
I just purchased a 2006 GMC Sierra (LBZ engine) ECSB 4x4 Duramax Diesel.
I'm excited to put the camper on it. I will post pics Monday or Tuesday when I get some wifi for the laptop!
My problem is, I know NOTHING about these trucks! Will I need to put a lift or will the heavier suspension be ok? Will I need airbags? I saw where some do and some don't......
Will it handle off road as good as the Tundra? These might be kinda dumb questions, but I'm a bit nervous......
I see so many of y'all have Fords and Dodges, just hoping the Dmax will serve me well.

No need to lift unless you want more height. You'll just have to see if you like the feel of the stock suspension or not. My dodge 3/4T is way better than my 1/2T but I wouldn't mind it a tad stiffer, esp. on side to side stuff so I may get some timbrens but haven't felt the immediate need to do so.

I'm not familiar with all the years of the duramax but its supposed to be pretty good around that year, does the GMC use the allison transmission too?

Main difference in the chevy/gmc platform is still using IFS verse a solid front axle. Some folks care about that, others don't.

Thanks pods. I have a friend coming over Thursday or Friday to help drill the holes for the camper. Kinda freaked about that. The guy I bought the hawk from did it in the tundra! Yes, it has the Allison tranny. I am used to the IFS from the Tundra. Just a bit worried about the bigger/wider truck off road. There were roads I wasn't sure the Tundra would fit on!
Hoping to hear more about what others have done to their 2500's.
I am planning new e rated tires and new shocks before my next trip. It might not be until 2014 cause I have to pay for this truck... Unless I sell the tundra, I don't know. We shall see...
Anyways, that's the plan...

Randygirl this is a good forum for everything GM diesel:
www.dieselplace.com

Good find on that truck as it is one of the most desirable years (pre emissions) and that Ally trans is arguably the best out there. I have a 2012 Chevy 2500HD with the gas engine and a heavy Hawk (1,300 lbs dry and empty) and it needs NO air bags etc. what so ever. The handling will be great with that IFS and the power and braking will put a smile on your face. Check your option list and see if it has the G80 Eaton rear locker. Nice option to have and may have been standard on D/A.

As far as off road it will go where the toy went...it maybe a little wider though? I just spent three days in the CO high country with mine and loved every minute of it.

Webster Pass 2.jpg
Webster Pass 1.jpg

I have an 09 Chevy 2500 HD (gas engine), and it is all stock. Have yet to see the need for additional suspension work, carries my Hawk just fine. Good luck with the new truck !

We have our Grandby on a 2006 Silverado 3500 with Duramax 4x4 and are very happy with it so far. We have put around 3000 miles on it since we bought the truck and camper this summer and have found it to be good riding, safe (great powerful brakes) and fuel efficient at 17 to 18 mpg. That is on relatively flat driving keeping it under 75 mph. It has more than adequate power and will go up moderate hills without shifting down out of 6th gear. Also geared pretty high, 1800 rpm's = about 75 mph. When we bought it the dealer highly recommended using a diesel additive since the low sulfur diesels are not as well suited to the ultra low sulfur fuels currently available. Its a little trouble to add it at fill-ups but the 32 gallon tank has a range of over 500 miles.

Bill & June

Bill and June, thank you for the info. What additive do you use? All we have seen is DieselKleen. You must have a bigger tank in the 3500. We only have a 26 gal tank. Driving it from Connecticut to Florida empty we averaged 20mpg going 75 or more. So I can't complain. I think new tires and shocks are all we are going to do.

Regarding the additive, they recommended Stanadyne Performance Formula but if you look at some of the diesel forums, they are many recommendations. Bill & June thater

I've got a 2002 Duramax crew cab long bed and love it! It hauls the Grandby like it isn't even back there.

Your 2006 is one of the best years according to Chevy diesel guys. The allison transmission is pretty dang cool - I like the braking built into as much as I like the 'peel out' ability if/when I stomp on it. Leaving some Honda in a cloud of smoke with a camper in the back is really priceless.

I added air bags as I tow an 8000 pound trailer - without the trailer I wouldn't worry about it.

Other than that I put it in drive and go where ever I want. It is a big full size truck and the weight will get you stuck in places that your toyota would float right across - but the 4wd works great - just push the button before you are stuck!

I use Diesel Kleen or whatever looks good at the time, or nothing at all.

I added Bilstein shocks and good tires on mine after I got it and it changed the ride and handling 100%.
The IFS front is different than a solid front axle but if you don't lift it or rock crawl it - you'll never notice the difference. I actually like the smooth ride on the highway that the IFS gives you.

Congrats!!

Thanks so much Ugly Scout.

It has e rated kuomo tires, but I don't like them. I will be selling those and putting on Michelin LTX A/T 2. They did us right in the toyota.

4 wheeling will be a different experience in the heavy GMC. It will take some getting used too...

About the shocks... Which Bilsteins? Did you go with the HD or 5100? Also I was looking at the Rancho 9000xl. Not sure what to get. Any input?

All I have seen in the auto parts stores around here is the Diesel Kleen. The guy I got it from only ran stuff in the winter. I live in Florida so I don't have to worry about that.

Do you guys use the synthetic oil or dyno? It has amsoil in it now, not sure if I should change.

Anyways, thanks again for the reply...
Randy

When 4 wheeling with a heavy diesel - keep it moving and keep the RPM's up a little higher than you think you should. Lugging it at 1200-1500 leaves you in kind of a crappy spot - when you need to 'move' you have to spool up and then risk spinning a tire or not moving fast enough and getting stuck. Drop down a gear and keep the rpm's at closer to 1800-2000 and it will get through a lot of stuff that you'd never think a 'stock' fullsize truck would do.

As for shocks I went with the 5100's with the silver body. I looked at the HD's with the yellow body but went with the 5100's just because. I've had Rancho 9000's in the past and they are good but the Bilsteins have been better.

I use cheap oil and chage it every 5000-7500 miles or every 6 months or so. Delo 400 in the blue gallon jug is my brand. I try and change the allison external filter every oil change as well, cheap insurance for an expensive transmission and it only takes 3 minutes. I did add a secondary fuel filter system (I had it from my last truck so it was free... and the filters are $5 not $75 like the factory fuel filter) and change that filter every oil change as well, but that lets me skip changing the factory (pain in the butt location) fuel filter for a couple oil changes.

I do all the maintance work myself - it is actually easy to work on.

I can email them to you. They are on my phone. No wifi right now for the laptop..... I'll send them in a few. Torn between Bilstein shocks and Ranchos, they both have their pros and cons.....

Have to switch everything from the Toyota to the GMC. What a pain!

Thanks. I need to get better on a computer!!

It's in great shape! Hope we get many trouble free miles!

Drilling the holes in the bed tomorrow!! Very nervous about that!

Called FWC and they gave me measurements. Cross your fingers;-)))

Drilling the holes in the bed tomorrow!! Very nervous about that!

:) You'll feel so good after the deed is done. Good luck with your new truck!

Camper is on!! This truck handles the camper so much better.
I am a bit irritated with FWC. They were not helpful with tellin me where to drill the holes in the bed... When I called Terry back and told him it didn't seem right when I measured it out, he told me he would call me back.... Never did... Thanks for nothing, huh!

It looks so much better than the hawk on the Toyota. Only have my phone, so I'm not sure how to post any pics????

Thanks for all the help;-))))

Randy, I'll help you out with the pictures:

randy-2.jpeg

randy-3.jpeg

Looks good and you got in out of the weather!
I agree, 3/4 tons are the way to go.
Have fun.

Rotti,

You are a lifesaver. Thanks for posting all my pics;-)))
I will be taking the jacks off in a few days. Looks like
The camper will stay on the truck full time and the Toyota will be the daily driver!!
Too bad I live in Florida, so just a quick trip to the mountains is out of te question. Will be awhile until I do a shakedown trip!

New shocks are the only thing I plan to do to the new truck. It has e rated tired, those will do for now.

Can't wait to use it...

Back
Top Bottom