New truck

I went with blisten 5100s they were nice. I got them from AJUSA.com, I just looked and guessed about which vehicle model you have but seems like you can get what you need for $75/set plus if you order by 9/24 you can get another 10% off and free shipping. That was the best deal I could find when I was looking.

I too think that Bilsteins are the better choice. My Toyota had Rancho's. It now has Bilsteins. Would not consider going back unless Rancho came out with something dramatically different from their usual offerings. Our '96 CTD got 5165's shortly after getting the truck earlier this year.

5160s are if you're going to be cycling the shocks repeatedly and potentially heat them up. 5100s are a no brainier for street use its just a question of what your off road driving is like. If you work them hard enough off road they'll heat up and then fade out loosing effectiveness, at which point you'd be pretty bouncy. I haven't gotten into it much yet with mine but lots of folks run 5100s for lower end offroad. If you're going to be running miles of washboards or going over lots of articulating terrain, etc. then 5160s might be a consideration. My $.02. 5160s certainly won't hurt you even if they're more shock than you actually need if you want to splurge right now.

Well, I would like to thank yall for helping me max out my credit card!!

Anyways, went with the 5100's. After talking to them, that is best for the majority of driving we do!

Another thing to add to the to do list.....

A little late now, but the reason that I went with the 5165's was the West's endless miles of washboard roads. My family calls them "4-40 Roads." You either go 4 MPH or you go 40 MPH (though I know of a couple 7-70's in NV... ). Absolute key to going 40 is vehicle control, and that needs shocks that won't fade. While I have to punish my live front axle Toyota pretty hard to fade it's 5100's, I figured that this CTD's much heavier live front axle and wheels/tires would make it far easier to fade them. With IFS you don't have nearly as much unsprung weight so it should be a lot harder to fade the 5100's.

Responding to a couple of your questions.

Suspension: I drive a 2005 Ram 2500 diesel with a Hawk. I went without airbags for awhile but found the sag made the nose high and I did not like looking over the hood. I put on Firestone airbags and got the truck right back to the stock angles. And I like the ride better.

Additives: I used Walmart's marine oil for awhile to improve lubricity and help keep the injectors cleaner. But I just changed to:

4)Opti-Lube Summer Blend
Multi-purpose
demulsifier
HFRR 447, 189 micron improvement
3000:1 ratio
1.11 oz/tank
$0.68/tank

It is cheaper and less messy to put in your tank than oil.

Additive links:

http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/showthread.php?t=177728

http://www.dieselpowermag.com/tech/ford/0911dp_fuel_additive_test/viewall.html

Keith

Attachments

• idyllwild.jpg
    idyllwild.jpg
    403.1 KB · Views: 128
Ntsqd: thank you for the info on the shocks. We has the 5100 on the Toyota and never had a heating problem, so I feel good about them on the new truck!

dorocks: appreciate the info on the additive. Have been driving a bit with the camper on the truck and haven't noticed sway or anything. Corners great. We shall see what happens when we are fully loaded. Hoping just shocks will be enough.

I'll keep y'all posted if I get to do a short trip soon!!

Back
Top Bottom