New Truck?

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human
Site Team
RV LIFE Pro
I posted this on the Airstream forum, but thought I would post here as well. WTW has a lot of wisdom lurking in the membership...

------

I am thinking of getting a new tow vehicle. My 2000 F250 7.3L that I have owned since new is a great rig, but I would like something a bit more modern. I will probably stick with Ford, as I have had great luck with them, and I am thinking a F350 crew cab this time. Here's the question...

Gas or diesel? I know how much power the diesel's have, but I wonder how long it is going to take to break even on the additional $8000+ expense. We tow a 2012 25' Flying Cloud that when loaded is in the 7,500 pound range, and a boat that is less than 5,000 pounds loaded. I also will probably keep a Four Wheel Grandby pop-up camper on the truck. It weighs around 1,800 pounds.

I'd really like to hear from the folks who are driving gassers that are similar to what I am thinking of. How's your climbing ability? What kind of mileage are you seeing? Do you like the ride?

Thanks in advance.

The great debate. How many miles may be the deciding factor. I am not sure what you pull is an important with the new gas motors we have now. $8,000 buys a lot of gas and diesel is now more $$ than gas, yes it should not be. And lets not for get the Motorcraft Diesel Exhaust fluid. For how I drive a diesel just does not pencil out.

Well, after deciding not to buy a new truck... I did. The Tillamook Ford dealer had a great buy on a F350 crew cab. It's a diesel, and far fancier than I wanted, but the deep discount offset the cost of the diesel engine, and a whole lot more. Wow, have vehicles changed since I bought my F250 in 1999. It's quiet, smooth riding, and very comfortable.

Now I am going to have to get the FWC moved over. I may do that when I take it down to Woodland for a bit of work, and a second vent. Drop it off with the old rig, then pick it up with the new.

After I get that done, I am going to be listing the F250, and if I can talk the 'boss of me' into it, the hard side camper as well. I suspect that will be early to mid December.

Try RV LIFE Pro Free for 7 Days

• New Ad-Free experience on this RV LIFE Community.
  • Plan the best RV Safe travel with RV LIFE Trip Wizard.
  • Navigate with our RV Safe GPS mobile app.
  • and much more...
Try RV Life Pro Today
Back
Top Bottom