New user...

Brian

Hello folks,
My name is Brian. I am new to this group and want to say hi. We live in southern New Mexico and have an older "Eagle" size FWC shell on a 1994 Mazda B4000 4WD. It is set up mostly for storage and we use very primitive systems, ie: 5gal water jug with hand pump, backpack dual fuel stove, ice chest, roll-a-table, (next a porti-potti). We have owned it for about 7 years and mostly used it on an old Jeep Comanche pickup until the truck just plain wore out. We use it all over the place...in this country mostly in the southwest.
We just returned from three months in Mexico, Belize, and Guatamala with this outfit and really enjoyed it although the camper needs some refurbishing about now, or we may get another FWC or ATC. I am still researching and am interested in Sixpac camper shells as well. After seeing all the cool German rigs on diesel Toyota land cruiser frames I am jealous.
I will try to post some pix of it and maybe some of this trip as well as time goes on.
Brian

Brian,
Welcome to the forum. Post some pictures of your rig and also from your trips. We had a great day here in Denver so I loaded up the FWC Ranger to try out the new ride-rite air bags. They worked out just great, I was surprised that I really didn't have to put much air into them to make a difference.

I also am playing around with mounting the battery in the truck bed. I wanted to make sure I still have clearance for tightening the front right turnbuckle. I looks like it will work just fine. I just wanted to free up the room under the seat in the camper.
Jim

Attachments

• 20070217_0002.jpg
    20070217_0002.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 255
Hi Brian,

Nice to meet you. Tell me more about your trip through Belize and Guatemala. My husband and I are driving to Costa Rica in two months and we have never driven south before.

How was the crime down there in recent experience? Where did you visit?

regards
Angelina

Travel south

Hello Angelina...You will have a great trip! Our only experience is with Belize and Guatamala and of course Mexico. I can't go into all the places we went but we took 3 months and that was not nearly enough for our desires.

Another trip we went to Costa Rica where we rented motorbikes and explored a small area rather intimately and loved the country.

We had no trouble of any kind anywhere. The crime in the cities is similar to anywhere in the US. Pay attention and don't be stupid. We go by the rule of "what you put out is what you get back". Be kind, smile, don't be loud and obnoxious, expect the best from folks and you will enjoy and be rewarded.

We find it is essential to speak some Spanish. If you don't, learn some. You can stop in someplace like San Miguel de Allende, MX which is very gringo and take lessons quite cheaply. Stay at the San Miguel RV park (Webers Tennis courts) for a great experience with the folks that run it and live there. (say hi to all from us). Take some Spanish there. I completely disagree with those who say you don't need any....as you go further south you WILL need some.

We camped a couple of nights with a caravan of mega motorhomes and fifth wheels that were on a "blast down to Panama and back in 72 days" trip and they don't need any Spanish primarily because they are paying someone to do everything for them, including talk to nationals. They have virtually no contact with any locals but the occasional server.

Frankly I wouldn't bother with any books beyond a Moon guide or Lonely Planet guide for the basics. Moon makes some decent maps also. You can do your own thing regarding camping and do fine. There are very few actual campgrounds but anyplace with a guard or where you can ask if it is secure, you can camp if you are totally self contained. We had a bucket/bag setup for a potty but will have a portipotti next trip. Get the best maps you can and explore, explore, explore.....the best stuff is not on the tourist routes. I notice that a lot of people with motorhomes who go south seem to have the idea that they need to caravan up and circle the wagons....nothing could be farther from the truth unless you insist on taking a behometh down there.
Then you are a target. Small, small, small.

Our worst experience was coming back into the US where the border guards were rude, excessively paranoid and made me glad I am a white, old male. If I had been any shade of color it would have been way worse.

Have a blast and know that our choice of rig is absolutely perfect for that kind of trip. We hardly got a glance since our rig just blends in. We were stopped a couple of times due to the fact our state only requires one rear license plate.....they like to see one on the front as well. No big deal though. Next time I will have a plate made with a combination of letters and numbers to stick on the front. (be sure the last number matches the last one on the rear plate due to the number system in Mexico,DF.)

Be prepared for oddities, ie: Guatemala ran out of money while we were there! Go figger?! I won't go into it but suffice to say that the only way we could retrieve money was at a bank with a CREDIT card...not a debit card. That is probably all over by now but it was a challenge while it was happening.

Take lots of cash.....dollars, travelers checks and ATM and Credit cards.

Feel free to email me at my baknm@hotmail.com address if you want to ask questions.

Vaya con Dios,
Brian

Back
Top Bottom