New winch and bumper!

Silvertip47

The Chair Bandit
Got a Fab Four front bumper with a 16.5K Warn winch hiding underneath!! Also ordered a 33K lbs snatch block!! :cool:

IM002206.jpg

Very hot looking truck. I am looking for a 9K winch for my Taco. And I love the bumper, but I want one without the bull bars. Cant find one. Also, is your rope synthetic or wire. How do you decide. If you don't use it often will the synthetic rot? Is it worth it to go synthetic for the price?
Could use your thought process on this one if you would.

Warn makes a bumper, tube is separate.
http://www.warn.com/truck/mounting-systems/front_bumper_for_toyota.shtml
I'd also suggest you stay with cable, not rope.

OOOPS! May not fit your Taco.

Very hot looking truck. I am looking for a 9K winch for my Taco. And I love the bumper, but I want one without the bull bars. Cant find one. Also, is your rope synthetic or wire. How do you decide. If you don't use it often will the synthetic rot? Is it worth it to go synthetic for the price?
Could use your thought process on this one if you would.

Check out Iron Bull for you bumper. Look at image #63

I had winch rope on one of my Jeeps for a few years. It fastly became frayed and discolored to the point I did not trust it anymore. I won't spend the money on another!!

Well with a lot of research and less money, I decided on an ARB Bull Bar Bumper Deluxe. I can sort of afford that. Then I wanted a Superwinch, but that wont fit on the bumper so I will go for a Warn VR 8000 or M 8000 (bothe the same). It is rated 8K and that's all I need for the Taco. It also has cable, instead of synthetic rope. This model is one of Warns entry models, just fine for me. I am getting better feedback on cables over synthetic ropes too. These are a few of the things I can afford. <br>But then I have to lift the front a bit. It is already 2 inches lower then the rear, since I changed the springs on the back, so I need to put the bumper and winch on, and calculate the extra lift then. Maybe coil overs and spacers, with a diff drop? Who knows. I need to be able to afford that stuff too. I need some more months I guess.
PS, don't tell my wife.&lt;_&lt;

Yes it does look good, makes the Ford look like a truck. ha ha
How do u decide on what size of winch to buy? I have been thinking of the type that sets into a reciever so It can be used on the rear as well.
Any thoughts from the pros here.
I do like the whole colour package of your unit, clean.

How do u decide on what size of winch to buy?

I think the rule of thumb is one and a half times the weight of the rig.

That being said....sometimes in the real world things don't always work out as planned.

Several years ago a buddy with a CJ5 jeep and I (with a Ford 1/2 ton 4X4 with 8000 lb Warn winch) were 4 wheeling at the Salt River in Arizona. I made it across and he took a different line that landed him in the middle of some really soupy mud. He was up to the frame. We thought no big deal.....his jeep weighed approximately 3400 pounds and I had an 8000 pound winch. I hooked up to him and STALLED out the winch.

Winches are rated for pull on the bottom layer of cable (one wrap of cable on the drum)......for each additional layer of cable the power of the winch is diminished due to the change in gear ratio. So, I backed up until I was on the last layer of cable and STALLED out the winch again! What the heck! We figured that his jeep was somehow being held in the mud hole by suction. We looked for any submerged stumps and such that he might be caught on but there was nothing under him but this gooey sandy mud.

Now I pull out the snatch block and double line to him. The results were that the winch pulled me towards him and he didn't budge. Next I put my truck in reverse (I was sitting in sand) and spun my tires until I was buried to the frame in sand.....then I put my transmission in neutral (never pull against anything other than your brakes with a winch) ....stood on the brakes and tried the double line pull again.......it STALLED out again!! We are talking 16,000 pounds of pull and he didn't budge.

Up until this point he wasn't assisting in the pull ....he was just sitting there in neutral. Normally I don't have the stuck vehicle try to assist in getting out because sometimes that creates surges forward etc. and those surges are hard on winches. Winches are designed for slow steady pulls and can sometimes be damaged by surging power. We were desperate at this point and I had him apply power while I tried again. He started with slow power assist but when my winch stalled again he increased pressure on his right foot. Two things happened.....one.....his jeep popped out of the mud hole....and two....his front drive shaft exploded. Once he was out I had him put his jeep in neutral and stand on the brakes. I turned on the winch again and pulled me out of the sand.....and at that point we were both out of trouble.

Well, we finally got him out and all it cost him was a drive shaft.

This incident many years ago is what makes me buy the largest winch that will fit on my vehicle.

By the way Griz....I've been thinking about taking the 9.5K winch off off the Tundra and mounting on one of those carrier mounts you mentioned and mounting on the back of the Ford in the receiver. A guy can't have too many winches.....and sometimes it is real nice being able to winch backwards!

I have 3000 lb winches mounted on the front AND back on my atv. Comes in real handy as I'm always getting that thing stuck. Rolled it twice.

I've been debating about responding to this thread because I don't want to endorse a product I'm not sure of.

Anyway a couple of weeks ago I was out playing on a couple of trails around Calico ghost town. There's a section of canyon called the gatekeeper that I would never attempt but a friend, who's slightly crazy, tried it. He got major stuck as you can see by the photos below and had to winch out. The pull wasn't straight but the winch did it's job and saved his butt.

The winch he was using was a well used 12k from Harbor Freight. My experience with HF tools is that they're expendable chinese crap but I was impressed with how this winch performed knowing the abuse it's been put through over it's lifetime. This might be an option for someone on a budget that only plans limited use.

Remember the first sentence disclaimer.

Attachments

• IMG_1394.jpg
    IMG_1394.jpg
    176.5 KB · Views: 202
  • IMG_1397.jpg
    IMG_1397.jpg
    178.5 KB · Views: 205
What kind of mileage are getting with the 6.2? and what rear axle ratio are you running? Thinking og getting a new truck

What kind of mileage are getting with the 6.2? and what rear axle ratio are you running? Thinking og getting a new truck

I have the 373 gears and not so good mileage. 11.5 in town and 10 on the road pulling enclosed snowmobile trailer. I will be pulling my travel traler and boat later this week. I am expecting about 8 mpg pulliing 8000# total. Wish it were more. Hoping by the time I get some miles on it will improve. 3800 so far.

Back
Top Bottom