New Zealand and experience there?

DavidGraves

Howdy

Anyone have any experience traveling in New Zealand ?

We are toying with a teaser visit of a few months.

Would very much welcome any thoughts or ideas.

David Graves

North Oregon Coast

David,
We spent about a month there a year or so ago. We rented a campervan (eurovan) and just kind of went where the weather lead us. Spent about 3 weeks on the S. Island, 1 on north. North was way better than people led us to believe and yes, quite different. With a campervan we could park at beaches, go to less traveled places, etc.

One piece of advice. The roads are narrow, you drive on the other side. Get the min. van size that fits your family. We had the eurovan for 2 of us and it was perfect and totally equipped. Make sure your van is self contained (gray water, etc.) as some places won't let you stay there if you're aren't. Search around for a small enough van. The place we rented from phased the eurovan out (bad idea) and went with larger vans. Take (or rent) a gps. Also, the holiday parks/camping parks/etc. are awesome. Many have commercial type kitchens you can use, herb gardens, etc. We met some awesome people in those places that invited us to their homes further along in our trip. The wine country is awesome too.

I don't have specific recommendations on where to go as everyone has different tastes (eg. we don't like the crowds so kind of skipped Queenstown (bungee jumping, etc.) except to gear, fuel/food, up).

We also booked the ferry from S. to N. ahead of time. That's my other recommendation maybe. Pick up on one island, drop off at the other rather than trying a loop (unless you are just doing one island).

We went for 52 days in 2013 and loved it.

We rented an older Toyota HiAce-based campervan from Cruzy Campers, picking it up in Christchurch and returning it to Auckland. We spent most of our time on the South Island and in fact felt we could have used another week or two on the North Island. Looking back on it, we had a great introduction but, in truth, a superficial one. We'd typically spend only a few hours to a day in any one place and camped in a different place each night. We walked daily but did not hike any of New Zealand's famous trails or 'tracks' for more than a few hours at a time.

We used the Official Camping New Zealand app to find camping and took advantage of freedom-camping spots whenever possible. You'd also want to read up on current policies on freedom-camping. It's important, for example, to understand that many freedom-camping spots are only open to vehicles displaying a sticker certifying that they're self-contained.

We rented a GPS from the van-provider but didn't like it. I had taken mine along as a backup and ended up buying the Garmin map card for Australia and New Zealand in Christchurch at a much more expensive price than I could have gotten it in the US.

One thing I wasn't fond of was the camping prices were charged on a per-person basis at many pay-camping sites. So you'd see a camping price advertised as $15 but it's actually $30 for a couple.

In general, prices seemed high. Fuel is of course high (currently > $5.50 a gallon) and diesel fuel was quite a lot cheaper. We nevertheless elected to take a gas-powered van because we preferred its layout. I remember being surprised how good the gas mileage was on the HiAce (more than 20 mpg, if I remember correctly).

Driving on the opposite side of the road and shifting the manual transmission with the left hand wasn't difficult to get used to but did require some mental adjustment, particularly where there are turning lanes.

Wi-fi availability was limited for much of our trip and we mostly had to pay for it, even in many coffee shops. We were nevertheless happy to find it at all-- we just had to limit how much we used it to the bare essentials and plan on having connections a few days apart.

For a phone, we had a prepaid el-cheapo phone included with the camper rental but had to go buy minutes at a local mall in Christchurch. And after the first night sleeping in the van we decided we needed to add a topper to the mattress.

Many thanks !

I will PM each of you.

It is wonderful to hear first hand comments from WTW friends.

NZ has always been on our list...

Being mid-sixties and a sudden opportunity to have someone look after our home make for some fast planning.

First challenge is whether to have a brief visit or plunge into 3-6 months.

David

David,

Enjoy either way. 3-6 months would be awesome. Not sure of the 'length of stay' visa requirements and also, they are really, really, really, picky about what you bring into the country. I spent about 1.5hrs in a back room, with tweasers, taking out every little sticker in my shoes. They'll check tent seams, clothing, etc. if they think you are carrying some non-native weed, plant, etc. All that is very interesting because they've done what a lot of countries have done and introduced species, trying to control other species, only to find out it's offset the balance so then they put out traps, etc., etc. It's also interesting to find out that they had no Elk there until Roosevelt introduced them (gift). There's something about venimous snakes too (I don't think they have any)... anyway, lots of interesting trivia to be found out.

Back
Top Bottom