Newbie from West MI -intro, pics and questions

stockrex

Big hello to everyone from West MI, fine city of Grand Rapids.

I finally bought my Grandby (04) in pristine condition. I am going to install the eyebolts sometime this month and use it mainly as a mobile office. I travel for my business.
I have: h20 heater, 3wy fridge, furnace, auxbatt, outside shower, awning, no potty but extra cabinet.
my truck is a 08 2500 HD Duramax, LB CC

I went to the riverside showroom/factory of sixpac/FWC, they gave me a wealth of info and I got to see the aluminum skeleton.

I am posting pics of my TC. I have the following questions:

1. Outside flood light, which LED bulb will fit?
2. Outside marker (yellow) lights, what are these?
3. I am not prewired for solar, what is the best route to get the wire inside and how to hook to my aux battery/charging system in the camper.
4. in the pic I have circle in red 2 spot where the canvas is pinched, am I doing something wrong when I am lowering the top? front first? back first?
5. I had to raise the bed, do I have to support the 4 inches or so back edges behind the wheel well? I am going to get foam this weekend and take out the wood in the pic.
6. ok to leave bukles for top undone while top is in lowered position if it rains?
7. can I use the furnace with the top down

link to album
http://picasaweb.google.com/elsadadi/Grandby?feat=directlinkhttp://picasaweb.google.com/elsadadi/Grandby?feat=directlink

any other words of advice?
now off to workout session to practice lifting the top ;-)

Stock welcome it sounds like I have the same camper. check out my post lot of photos posted. about the wires coming in i was thinking of routing thorugh the roof vent i have two. the yellow lights are 1156 95% sure you can get replacements at an auto store.
The canvas you have to lift the cornner of the top and tuck in the canvas
I have used the furnace with the top down.
Pm me if you have questions Terry

Welcome to the group! You picked a pretty great place to hang out. In regards to your questions... I couldn't be of much help as I just joined this group a couple of weeks ago and it was only yesterday that I finally figured out how to undo the latches that hold the top down! But thanks to the help from this group I can now do it repeatedly!

rex,

Welcome aboard and congrats on the camper, you're going to love it. As was already said just tuck or fold the vinyl in before latching. Personally I'd always latch down in the rain or any potential windy time. Keep us posted and send more pics.

Never thought about leds for the floodlights. They don't stay on long anyways. The yellow ones are for bug control. Theoretically bugs won't gravitate to yellow. Heater with the top down? Sure, no problem doing that.

I think I saw that rig for sale on a posting, is that the one that wasn't even ever used?

Don't know an LED bulb will fit but you could always change out the lamps themselves if you wanted something different.

Did you confirm you are not wired for solar or just assume? Might be worth calling the factory to find out where you should look for the wiring before pounding down the path to install some only to find out its there...

As mentioned go along and tuck the canvas after lowering, then latch it.

I'd think if you just support the main floor pack you should be fine.

I've been meaning to buy LED lights for my door and awning lights. I think the bulbs themselves will be marked with a size code...? Take one out, get the numbers, Google for it and LED....

My Floor Frame within the Wheel Wells, 1996 Granby

Stock, Welcome. I built a 2x4 wood frame with cross members for my truck bed. That raised the Granby to clear side rails and gave support under plywood floor. I don't have a furnace but I do have a port-a-potty. Travel Safe and Happy Selling

I think I saw that rig for sale on a posting, is that the one that wasn't even ever used?

Don't know an LED bulb will fit but you could always change out the lamps themselves if you wanted something different.

Did you confirm you are not wired for solar or just assume? Might be worth calling the factory to find out where you should look for the wiring before pounding down the path to install some only to find out its there...

As mentioned go along and tuck the canvas after lowering, then latch it.

I'd think if you just support the main floor pack you should be fine.

pods,
It is the one from Northeast MI, used less than 10 times, pristine inside and outside.
I read through many posts, in one Stan from FWC notes they started prewiring for solar from mid 2005 onwards, so being an 04 I am out.

Hi Stock and welcome.

After you drop down the top just walk around and fold or tuck the rest of the canvas in. No problem with the use of the heater in the down.

It is easier to lower the front and then the back and exit the camper. Raise the back then the front. But there is no real ryme or reason to the method. The side bunjes will help pull in the canvas but you still need to go out and tuck the ends.

You can leave the latches open while the top is down BUT, you run the risk of forgetting to latch them and off you go down the road with the canvas sailing in the wind:eek:

Attachments

• DSCN0376_-_Copy.jpg
    DSCN0376_-_Copy.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 410
4. in the pic I have circle in red 2 spot where the canvas is pinched, am I doing something wrong when I am lowering the top? front first? back first?

That's normal. After dropping each end of the top, I usually use my back to lift the top again while I simultaneously pull in the fabric on each side with my hands and lower the top again. Then I go out side and lift the corners a little so I can tuck in any fabric that is hanging outside the frame.

6. ok to leave bukles for top undone while top is in lowered position if it rains.

I haven't had a problem with mine in a driving rain. I wouldn't lower it just because it's raining. In fact that's a great time to have it raised, so that you can get out of the rain. If you lower it in the rain, I suggest you raise the top and dry the fabric when you have a chance, so as to prevent mildew. The biggest concern I have with dropping the top and not latching it is that you might drive away with the latches undone, and then...poof, you're not driving a low profile truck any more.

The following thread has a few posts in which people forgot to latch the top, and after driving at highway speeds found that no harm was done to the camper. I don't suggest doing this. There is also a lot of good information which may answer your next question.;)
http://www.wanderthewest.com/forum/showthread.php?t=290

any other words of advice?

Stay tuned, ask questions and keep wandering.:thumb:

Patrick thanks for clarifying the roof raising steps.

Another question:
If you look at the picture of the roof above, the top frame is little bent, curved, is this something I should be concerned about?

I think I see the curve you speak of. (looked like pic distortion at first and I was more focused on the corners circled in red when I first looked at the pic)

Hmmm....I wonder how someone did that? T-E-Q-U-I-L-A, maybe??? :D

Or maybe hauling something too heavy up top placed a load front/back??

My first thought would be to see if there's a possibility to add extra latches(?) to snug the middle down.
(however, with the awning on the pass side I'm not sure it would work with a stock latch)

that...or maybe one of the Tequila crowd has mastered how to bend it back!(?)

good luck

Oh man, be careful. I was cleaning mine up one day. Had the top popped. Decided I need to drive the half mile down to the carwash and use their vacuums. I didnt realize I'd made the run with the top up till I got there. Btw, I was sober too. /doh

There is some arch to the roofs but yours looks like too much. The roof needs to float and flex. Don't have the latches too tight. Loosen them so you can pull down on the top and the latch will still stay on. I see people crank them down and over time could bow up the roof.

As far as driving while poped. Yes it is ok. Mike Duncan and Ben took Ben's FWC down I-5 at 70 for a test and it was ok. I would not do it, but I always drive around with the top up if I'm moving or shorter distances.

So driving to the carwash no problem.

**BUT**

Don't forget it is up and don't drive into the garage or low obstacles!!!:eek:

Back
Top Bottom