Newbie Mods - Solar, Remote Switch, & Backup Camera

Ragnar

I have been following this forum since last summer when I decided to purchase a Four Wheel Camper and have found it extremely interesting and helpful. After getting the camper installed last month I have been busy on the weekends tweaking it for the upcoming camping season.

My first project was to install a backup camera. My truck has one, but it remained in the tailgate which is now stored in the garage. I followed a friend's advice and purchased an OEM backup camera and mounted it underneath the camper door. It is such a relief to be able to see behind the camper while backing up now.

My second project was a remote control switch for the rear flood lights which I can activate from the cab to activate the lights while backing into a camping site. I purchased a $25 12-volt 4-channel remote control switch and used the hot lead from the flood lamp switch to power the module (minimal current draw). It simply parallels the SPST switch using piggyback spade crimp connectors, so no wires were cut. I'm looking for a matching SPDT replacement switch so that I can wire it as a 3-way circuit. As it works now, if I use the remote control to turn on the floods, I have to use the same control to turn them off. It would be to wire as a 3-way circuit so that either switch could toggle the light on and off. If anyone knows where I could get a SPDT switch that would match the panel, please pass it on.

My third project was connecting a solar panel - completed today. I mounted an Everbright Solar 165 Watt panel to pre-installed Yakima racks using 1/4" aluminum angle stock purchased from Grainger. I have wired both the roof and rear solar jacks to a Bogart Engineering SC-2030 combined with a TM-2030 Battery Monitor. For now I am going with the roof mount panel only, but eventually will consider a portable panel to plug into the back connector.

My first camping test (other than my driveway) comes later this week as I will be heading out into northwest Nevada for my first camping trip. I'm sure that I will come back with more ideas.

It is a pleasure to read through the threads on this forum. They are all very helpful.

See you out on the dirt roads!

Attachments

• SolarFWC.jpg
    SolarFWC.jpg
    107.2 KB · Views: 130
The journey begins! You will have fun camping and making the camper your own. Welcome to WTW ...it really is an incredible place.

Hi Ragnar - Welcome to the forum! Would you mind posting a pic or link of the remote switch you used for the lights? I have been thinking of doing the same mod.

Jason

Welcome, nice list of modifications. If you want the rear lights for backing in do what I did. Installed a relay and ran a trigger wire from the trucks back up lights. I never have a lack of light when backing at night.

P1110850.jpg

I like the use of a relay triggered by the truck's backup lights to turn on the camper flood lights. In the long run, that would be easier than searching the cab for a wireless remote. Where did you access the truck's backup light line and route it to the relay?

For those who want to experiment with wireless remotes, here are some Amazon links (less than $20):
- 4 channel: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01CCSG2ZY/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
- 2 channel: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01JGDV8UM/ref=pd_luc_rh_sbs_02_01_t_ttl_lh?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

I have included a picture of the piggyback crimp connectors connected on the back of the switch. They are hard to find locally. I like these better than cutting into the stock wiring or using one of the splice connectors that can cut into the line. They are of nice quality (but you have to buy 100):
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B019PNMSWK/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Craig

FuseBlock.jpgView attachment 27570View attachment 27570One other item that I found useful. I used a fuse block for the solar panel wiring (one for the roof connector line and one from rear connector line). I ran the positive lead of each solar panel connection to the fuse connection on the block. The common then goes on to the controller. I think it is cleaner than using inline fuses and looks clean tucked up near the switch panel - see photo. (Side note - one of the panel mounting screws missed the mark during construction. I plan to replace the plywood mounting strip soon.)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00QMTAZ1W/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Craig

Ragnar said:
I like the use of a relay triggered by the truck's backup lights to turn on the camper flood lights. In the long run, that would be easier than searching the cab for a wireless remote. Where did you access the truck's backup light line and route it to the relay?

Craig
I took the power off the back up light inside the read lights on the truck. I switched the power from the truck (+/-) to 6 gage wire and and used an Anderson connector. This gave me extra wires to use on the old plug to the camper. I have the back up lights and running lights on the old plug.

I very much appreciate the well wishes and additional information. My camper saw its first dirt road today (Pyramid Lake) but sadly my friend had to get back to town this evening. It was a beautiful day and I would have preferred to just stay the night and fished some more tomorrow. I am looking forward to many adventures to come.

Best regards all,

Craig

Pyramid Lake.jpg

Nice looking rig. I've had mine less than a year and I'm still finding things I need to do to it on this forum. I just mounted my solar panel recently. The sides of the panel are a tapered extrusion so I needed to bolt through the bottom. I used aluminum flat bar at the ends of the panel to provide a place to bolt down into the Yakima track on the roof. Any reason you extended your support bars out beyond your panel?
img_169074_0_3e43c073c5a815910090dc329d9eb624.jpg

img_169074_2_068ef914e065790fd3c6d85060a398e7.jpg

Back
Top Bottom