Newbie needs good gear list

bubbyman

Hello,

We've a Cougar ordered for mid-January in Sacramento. We'll be driving our '02 Dodge Ram 3/4 ton out there (ouch on the gasoline!) and then camping our way home via Nevada/California/Arizona. We live in central New Mexico.

Tried searching the site for what folks use as a gear list for the basics needed. But found none. We're going very minimalist, in fact, we're getting a shell with no frills. Our background and inclination is backpacking, hammocking, tenting, so this is going to be quite a transition already.

But if anyone has a list as a starter, it would be nice.

Also, suggestions on relatively warm, yet rustic areas to hit on the way back to AZ deserts would be nice. Never been to Sacramento or northern Cal, so thinking of going up through Nevada and trying to avoid the worst of the cold and snow.

Thanks!
Bubbyman & DaMisses

Get the All Terrain Camper guys to make you a table. I use the table all the time in my shell. Also buy some kind of small propane heater if your shell has no furnace and bring some good sleeping bags, too. I like cooking on the gas grill outside so bring one of them and a folding table to set it on. Two folding chairs with beer pockets, of course. You can use your old propane backpacking stove(s) to brew coffee or cook soup when you're inside at the table in the morning or because of weather. Sort through your car-camping and backpacking cooking stuff and choose some pots, pans, mugs, cups, forks, spoons and plates and you should be set. Sun showers are great in the summer.

In central Nevada you will likely avoid the snow but not the cold.

Welcome and have a great adventure getting your new camper!

Welcome to the forum! Stew is the voice of wisdom and experience. There are threads on this site about propane heaters (get a catalytic type that can be safe for enclosed spaces). Do you plan to bring food that needs refrigeration? There are threads on 12V fridges as well, if you get tired of dealing with ice.

Welcome to the forum! Stew is the voice of wisdom and experience. There are threads on this site about propane heaters (get a catalytic type that can be safe for enclosed spaces). Do you plan to bring food that needs refrigeration? There are threads on 12V fridges as well, if you get tired of dealing with ice.

Yes, Highz, thanks for bringing up the fridge/cooler issue. Lots of words have been expended on that at WtW! Dirty Dog uses a big ice cooler in his camper but I have a Dometic 3-way cooler-like fridge in my truck's cab. There are good threads on 12v-only fridges and also the solar charging systems to run them. Be sure to get a house battery for your shell even if you don't plan on useing it for anything but running your lights!!

For truck camping, I find that a well seasoned cast iron skillet with a lid and a stove and/or fire will allow me to prepare many good meals.

A stove top coffee pot is also a good choice because not only can you heat up water for coffee, you can also boil spaghetti, heat up soup, make mashed potatoes, etc.

Here's a few ideas that might be helpful;
http://www.jayaronowcampersales.com/Around_The_Campfire.html

Good tips out there, Jay!

For truck camping, I find that a well seasoned cast iron skillet with a lid and a stove and/or fire will allow me to prepare many good meals.

A stove top coffee pot is also a good choice because not only can you heat up water for coffee, you can also boil spaghetti, heat up soup, make mashed potatoes, etc.

Sometimes I take a small Dutch oven along for use over a fire or some coals.

Don't sweat the gear list. Its not much different from tenting. Only thing I've ever forgotten and really regretted was a jacket. One lives in the camper now :cautious:

I would spend the first night as close to the factory and a walmart as I could...just in case. Try out everything in the camper before you leave.

I copied the following list from a member of WTW a while back. Can't give credit.
It should give you a starting point.

What needs to come with us:
2 camera backpacks with camera gear: 2 bodies, 6 lenses plus filters, extra batteries/charger, media cards, cleaners, etc.
2 tripods/ball heads in cases
1 Mac 13" laptop and case
3 sleeping bags: 1 to lay down spread out on top of cushions, other 2 to sleep in. We found this warm and comfy.
2 pillows: lightweight foam
shotgun and shells
2 flashlights
1 axe/1 saw/1 big knife
2 small backpacks with as little clothing as possible (except undies)
2 very small toiletry cases not duplicating anything that is not personal (share shampoo, toothpaste, don't share deodorant, tooth brushes)
Maps/brochures/Moon's Camping guide
Notebook paper/pens/clipboard for diary
2 towels/2 washcloths/1 dish towel/1 small scrubber/1 small dishwashing detergent/1 small clothesline and pins
First Aid kit
2 small sauce pans/1 small frypan (Revere Ware) with lids/2 stainless steel bowls/a few utensils like cheese grater/mylar cutting board/spatula/stirring spoon/knives, forks and spoons (2 of each)
Paper products: TP/paper towels/paper plates
hand washing gel
tablecloth
matches/propane starter/extra fuses
small radio that runs on batteries
small coffee maker
3 1 gallon jugs of drinking water
assorted dried soup mixes/dehydrated mushrooms and tomatoes
2 large Tupper ware that fit under dinette seat storage where we store soups, dried foods, towels, tablecloth,etc.
various food items from home like fruits/veggies/chips/crackers/cheese/bread/premade tuna salad/milk/etc.
2 garage sale special camp chairs.
small compressor/small pump/emergency equipment like flares/cable/assorted mechanic tools/duct tape/super glue

I'm very appreciative of all your comments and advice. It's always good to hear what folks have to say. We have some experience under our belts. About 3 years of fulltime RVing in a 30' Excel, and during the past 4 years a lot of tenting and backpacking. We lean toward minimal.

Do you folks carry extra petrol, and if so, where? Also, are you content to carry your spare tire under the truck?

Again, very warm welcome from you all is much appreciated.

bubbyman and da misses

I have a 35 gal tank so I don't carry extra fuel. Maybe if I was headed to Baja. No issues with carrying the spare underneath but I'd like to get a second spare for really lengthy trips.

Back
Top Bottom