Newbie to FWC but not to adventures.

TacoTruck

Advanced Member
We pick up our Fleet camper for our access cab Tacoma March 27 and are very excited. We have been doing off road adventures in California, Nevada and Utah for many years in Jeeps, with motor homes for base camp, later tent camping with off road trailer for gear and finally using an off road teardrop. We really don't do the extreme stuff any more but still want to get off the beaten path with some extra comforts. We felt the FWC would be perfect.

All ready want to build base to store camper. What dimension should it be?

Thanks Mike

Welcome to the tribe Mike. Sounds like you have had lots of back-round experiences. Not sure what you mean by wanting to "build a base"? Are you talking about building a garage?

Chris

The deck I built to support my Fleet when it's off the truck is 80 1/2" long, to match the camper. I made it wider than the base of the camper - 66" - for stability because I plan to add wheels, but haven't done that yet. The deck is made of pressure-treated 2x6's with metal joist-hangers. No top, just joists spaced to match the ribs on the bottom of the camper. I straightened the 2x6s on a jointer, so that the camper is evenly supported all the way across.

- Bernard

Attachments

• Deck 5.jpg
    Deck 5.jpg
    430.4 KB · Views: 257
Camper is happy if owner is happy... 2 sheets plywood with 2x4 frame with cross bracing every 2 feet.... Beneath this .. I used 2, 4x4's as supports across each end. Then attached ( I can not emphasize how important) 4 high quality 4, 5 or 6" wheels that can handle 1500 ÷ 4 load. That is it. no magic. You will swear every time you move it if the wheels aren't good swivel type.

Congrats and welcome to the group. I built my dolly out of 4x6s and 3/8 lag bolts. It just kept criss crossing them until I reached a final height of 35". This includes 8" wheels, 2 fixed and 2 swivel. I wanted the height to minimize how high I have to raise the camper when I load it. My driveway is asphalt and I can barely move the camper by myself. Maybe if I had a smooth level concrete pad or driveway it would be easier. Enjoy the new Fleet!!

For camper storage I use a dedicated small trailer.....just back under the Hawk, set it down.and secure.

Then it is an easy task to move camper into barn with the tractor.

One challenge was to insure narrow enough trailer to fit between jacks.

David Graves

Today was install today, Aaron, Pete and Mike were great! Now to unload our off road teardrop of its gear and load it in the Fleet. Planning on Saturday night for first night in our new camper. :D

20170227_111639-M.jpg
20170327_124226-M.jpg
20170327_130938-M.jpg

Here is a pic of the base I just built for my Hawk. Used 2"x6"s Worked out great!

IMG_0999.jpg

20170401_145619-M.jpg

Well we have one night down in our new Fleet. Everything was perfect except the Batwing awning was mounted an inch and a half to far back, thus meaning rear beam that connects to bracket on rear of camper would have to be forced beyond 90 degrees and I felt the frame would be damaged. Loosening the whole awning and moving it forwarded fixed the problem. Not sure they ever opened it at factory?

Finished my dolly a week or so ago thanks to Pete for dimensions of camper before we even picked it up. Stationary wheels one end, casters on the other. All rated at 750lbs and work fine with one person moving the camper around. I took camper off because I want to ditch the bumpers that set the camper back to far in bed. With the Tacoma bed they are useless even in an accident.

20170402_170745-M.jpg

20170402_170828-M.jpg

Camper looks fantastic. Love the silver siding - would look great with my silver Tundra. Sigh!!

The bumpers are to keep your camper from hitting the bed of the pick-up and damaging the siding or the front of the bed. I also question why you would risk damage to either your camper or truck. You gain nothing by moving the camper forward. "High risk, low reward". jd

Back
Top Bottom