Night light

captainphx

I thought that the led lights are too bright at night. Sometimes we just want the absolute minimum light. So we are trying this. Let u know how it works after our next outing. It's just a red sheet of thick plastic from an office supply store. It creates a very nice soft red light that is easy on the eyes.

IMG_0520.jpg

Great ideas Captainphx, any pics of your rig with camper.

I agree that a red and white combination of cabin lights is a good way to go.

If you are interested, you could buy a low emitting (dim) red LED to save on battery. That way you would not have wasted energy converting the high power white light to a dim red light. Let me know if you want/need some help with finding replacement LEDs.

I agree that a red and white combination of cabin lights is a good way to go.

If you are interested, you could buy a low emitting (dim) red LED to save on battery. That way you would not have wasted energy converting the high power white light to a dim red light. Let me know if you want/need some help with finding replacement LEDs.

Yes, I would like to know where to get that. I tried doing a search on the internet for one, but I didn't find one.

Yes, I would like to know where to get that. I tried doing a search on the internet for one, but I didn't find one.

Sure, here is what I am using.

LINK
These are the LEDs I am using as interior lights, I am very happy with them.

And here are the socket adaptors. LINK

If you really want to go crazy, you will switch over the interior lights inside the cab of your truck to LEDs. It is amazing what a difference they make from the stock bulbs. Plus, then you can have red/white map lights, and I find that handy for driving at night. ;)

LINK

If you really want to go crazy, you will switch over the interior lights inside the cab of your truck to LEDs. It is amazing what a difference they make from the stock bulbs. Plus, then you can have red/white map lights, and I find that handy for driving at night. ;)

Thanks, I will do my research and get these.

I thought that the led lights are too bright at night. Sometimes we just want the absolute minimum light. So we are trying this. Let u know how it works after our next outing. It's just a red sheet of thick plastic from an office supply store. It creates a very nice soft red light that is easy on the eyes.

Great idea.

LINK

Do you have the same LED ceiling light that I have? If so, which socket adapter did you use?

Do you have the same LED ceiling light that I have? If so, which socket adapter did you use?

No, I put in a marine light. The unit I got had an odd bulb type (European?) so I ended up just wiring the bulbs directly. I did this by removing the socket and cutting the wire on the LED so I could crimp them directly to the wire in the fixture.

More details and photos here, LINK.

No, I put in a marine light. The unit I got had an odd bulb type (European?) so I ended up just wiring the bulbs directly. I did this by removing the socket and cutting the wire on the LED so I could crimp them directly to the wire in the fixture.

More details and photos here, LINK.

OK, thanks. You do great work!

OK, thanks. You do great work!

Thanks.

If you direct wire in LEDs remember that they are polarized (not sure if that is the correct term), so they will not work if the wires are switched. I do know that v-leds are reverse polarity protected, so if they do not work just switch the wires around. In reality you have a 50% chance of getting it right the first time, but somehow I manage to have the wires reversed 95% of the time on the first try.

Thanks.

If you direct wire in LEDs remember that they are polarized (not sure if that is the correct term), so they will not work if the wires are switched. I do know that v-leds are reverse polarity protected, so if they do not work just switch the wires around. In reality you have a 50% chance of getting it right the first time, but somehow I manage to have the wires reversed 95% of the time on the first try.

Ok, thanks for the good heads up. Working on modifying my Lagun table base at the moment. Heading out for a 3 week trip to the Pacific NW and Canada in Aug. Trying to get as much done as possible.

Ok, thanks for the good heads up. Working on modifying my Lagun table base at the moment. Heading out for a 3 week trip to the Pacific NW and Canada in Aug. Trying to get as much done as possible.

Would be interested in seeing what you are doing/have done with the Lagun bracket.

Would be interested in seeing what you are doing/have done with the Lagun bracket.

Well, I bought the bracket a few months back. I haven't had time to deal with it until now. Just called around yesterday, looking for someone who does aluminum welding. Found someone. I am going to their shop today. Will let you know how it turns out and post a pic or two in a new thread.

I just finished installing these:
http://www.amazon.com/LEDwholesalers-Flexible-LED-Ribbon-2026ww-31k/dp/B002QQ48TK/ref=wl_it_dp_o_nS_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=O0528CMWBFKD&coliid=I1GK9HT9GYFONE
along with this PWM dimmer:
http://www.amazon.com/LEDwholesalers-Dimming-Controller-LED-Lights/dp/B003L4KKF2/ref=wl_it_dp_o_nS_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=O0528CMWBFKD&coliid=I11SD2NJYUVPFX

The dimmer allows the lights to be adjusted from off up to almost bright enough to read with w/o hurting your eyes with just a twist of the knob. I've put one set over the galley/dinette area and another over the bed.

ntsqd said:
I just finished installing these:
http://www.amazon.com/LEDwholesalers-Flexible-LED-Ribbon-2026ww-31k/dp/B002QQ48TK/ref=wl_it_dp_o_nS_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=O0528CMWBFKD&coliid=I1GK9HT9GYFONE
along with this PWM dimmer:
http://www.amazon.com/LEDwholesalers-Dimming-Controller-LED-Lights/dp/B003L4KKF2/ref=wl_it_dp_o_nS_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=O0528CMWBFKD&coliid=I11SD2NJYUVPFX

The dimmer allows the lights to be adjusted from off up to almost bright enough to read with w/o hurting your eyes with just a twist of the knob. I've put one set over the galley/dinette area and another over the bed.

Great idea!

One other little annoyance I have with the LED's that come with the camper….the plastic covers very easily fall off. Gotta work on a fix for that!

Can't claim it as my own. A friend used the same LED string in his shell, though with a different dimmer also sourced from Amazon.

Back
Top Bottom