No hot water

Yes, the plug is in an awkward spot. As I recall, it's a 15/16" and a shorter/shallow one works best. If you have a dual (gas/electric) water heater, keeping it turned on is a good solution.

jd-

While you have the attention of the tech working on your water heater, you might ask for his advice on how to get that drain plug out. Perhaps he can point you to a tool that would work for your specific setup. Even if you don't need that now, you may need it sometime in the future when you need to flush the tank or to treat the tank for the rotten-egg smell that sometimes happens in a water heater tank.

And of course you'll want his opinion on what might have gone wrong with your winterization process (if it turns out the damage came from ice).

Also- you'll want to get familiar with what the normal flame looks like. Once you get a good idea of what that hard blue flame looks and sounds like, you can check it occasionally for your own peace of mind--- particularly on your first use of the water heater each Spring.

Also- I don't quite get the idea of plugging in and not using gas unless you have a dual gas and electric water heater, i.e., one with an C in the model number (for 'Combination'-- electric and gas).

Glad to see you're working your way through the problem.

(Edited 6/8/2017 to correct next-to-last paragraph. I originally said an 'E' in the model number but it's a 'C'. The 'E' indicates electronic ignition.)

Spoke to Attwood again and they think there may have been a dry fire, meaning not enough water in the hot water tank and the heat disformed the baffle. We won't know until the can pull the tank, observe and get photos to send to Attwood. If true, not sure how this happened as I fill the tank completely and would have to believe the hot water tank is being fill. The lever on the piping is correct, not allowing water back into the main tank. jd

longhorn1 said:
Spoke to Attwood again and they think there may have been a dry fire, meaning not enough water in the hot water tank and the heat disformed the baffle. We won't know until the can pull the tank, observe and get photos to send to Attwood. If true, not sure how this happened as I fill the tank completely and would have to believe the hot water tank is being fill. The lever on the piping is correct, not allowing water back into the main tank. jd

Ah, not an educated guess on my part, but I fill my 22 gallon main tank then run the pump [sink faucet hot water on] to fill the 6 gallon hot water heater tank...finally putting the 6 gallons I removed from the main tank back in the main tank....28 gallons on-board....

Did not know that hot water heater's 6 gallon tank could be filled during the filling the main tank...

Phil

Ps...That 'lever' you referred to that allows the water from the hot water tank to flow BACK into the main tank is the way you drain the water [all but about 3/4 gallon] out of the hot water heater into the main tank and then out the drain valve outside on the left rear of the camper to empty the system.

Good luck!

Phil

Wallowa said:
Ps...That 'lever' you referred to that allows the water from the hot water tank to flow BACK into the main tank is the way you drain the water [all but about 3/4 gallon] out of the hot water heater into the main tank and then out the drain valve outside on the left rear of the camper to empty the system.

Good luck!

Phil
As I noted above the knob was in the correct position, not letting water flow out of the hot water tank. The FWC Manual says you have turn on the faucet and then the water pump until water runs smoothly. It appears this is what fills the hot water tank. I may have screwed up big time. Hopefully this will receive more posts. Thanks Phil. jd

Stalking Light said:
Same here. I don't think the hot water tank fills without running the pump.
I can't remember if there is a city water inlet on a FWC, but if there is, that's the quickest way to fill the hot water tank.

Steve, there is and I think I will be using it from now on. Here I thought I was doing everything right. An expensive screw up. jd

My bad about forgetting city water; I never hook mine up since the inlet is right above the hot water heater and the one time I did it almost melted the hose. I have since put a fitting on to extend it but since I mostly boondock I don't even think about using it.

Back
Top Bottom