Noatak national preserve

Skeeter

I normally don't post anything about my work travels, I consider them work and not relavant to what this fourm represents. However, I am leaving this afternoon to fly into the Artic cirlcle just on the Western end of the Brooks range in Alaska, to a extremely remote mine. It is just 90nm North of Kotzebue West of the Noatak River.
I was surprised to learn that 727 freighters keep the mine stocked from Anchorge and that all of the workers fly into the site weekly. No roads to this place except for one that goes to the Chukchi ocean when it is free of ice. I got the camera, and I will post as soon as I am back. I will fly right over Kobuk National Park which has fewer than 900 people a year that visit. -Joel

Hey DD, thought you would be interested in this. We are picking up the CEO of the company in Vancouver, and taking him to the site. Mine company info After we shut the engines down, my work is done. If the weather is decent, I will try to go fishing and explore as much as possible in the 24 hours we will be there. I have flown into a few mining strips, but it is not often. This will be my first time flying north of the artic circle. Wish I had a week and my backpack!

When I was in Kotzebue a few winters ago it was very cold. I might have a photo or two around here . . .

Back
Top Bottom