Noisy roof during rain?

DonC

Most of my trips are to the east side of the Sierra and Death Valley. Both places very dry. When it rains, it’s generally very short in duration and almost never at night.

I just got back from the Redwoods where it started raining around midnight, and rained the rest of the night. I thought it must be pouring as it was incredibly noisy in the camper – not something I could really sleep with. Going outside in the am it was just a nice moderate rain.

As I look toward retirement and longer trips to rainy places I can’t imagine spending any amount of time in the camper when it is raining at night. Is this the experience of those in rainy climates?

So… does FWC use any sound proofing material in the roof? I am only aware of the rigid insulation (that is very noisy/squeaky in high winds).

I have started to lurk in the Spinter forums and people doing conversions go to great lengths to add both sound proofing and insulation.

Probably impossible to retrofit sound proofing in the roof, but would adding something like Thinsolite to the top of the roof work?

I use ear plugs. I am awaiting delivery of noise cancelling ear plugs for the highway noise I hear at home. They ,hopefully, will work for windy and rainy nights in the camper. They are made by QuiteOn.

Remember...what you can't hear can kill you!

+1 on earplugs. These Peltors are about $12 and can be used for a little sound reduction (my preference), or be reversed and used as full plugs.

Peltor Sport Hear-Through Earplugs 97079

That's what I should have done was the earplugs. Second night in the camper it was raining pretty hard, but the loudest noise was the bigger drops coming down on the vent cover. Needless to say it kept me up. The next night I picked a spot out from the trees and the rain noise was not so bad.

25 years ago my wife and I rented a small camper and traveled through the North and South Islands of New Zealand. We camped one night near the Franz Josef Glacier on the western side of the South Island where we received 11 inches of rain between sundown and sun up. It was literally like sleeping inside a drum; it was loud and unrelenting. There was quite a scene the next morning as the river had extended all the way into the campground. Entire campsites (including motorhomes) had washed away, but we never heard the commotion because of the noise from the rain. Sometimes you just get lucky and we happened to have a site that was just high enough to have escaped the current. We think about that night every time we're in bed and hear rain on the roof of the camper.

wind and rain is white noise for me. I sleep better in the wind then when there is no noise. at least in the desert.

They beat me to it! After a while you get used to the piter-patter on the roof and it is so much better than being outside! Come to think about it, it had a similar but more muffled sound on a tent, although if my Army memory serves me right after all these years, rain especially monsoon rain beating on my steel pot could get maddening after a while! Anyway, still enjoy it on the FWC roof most of the time!

Smoke

I have been through several big rainstorms in the redwoods and they always wake me up. I think if the rain was steady I could finally tune it out, but they way it comes and goes - and those huge drops make it hard. Never thought of trying ear plugs, but it is probably not a bad idea.

I had never camped in the rain with our Hawk until this spring. We were behind Mt Hood in a campsite with large trees when it started to rain. We deployed our awning to stay dry and didn't put it back before going to bed. That night it was like a drum going on. Since then we've had other nights in the rain and always make sure we bring the awning back in at night.

Not sure if it was the awning or the big drops from the trees, but its been MUCH better after that night.

I like the sound of the rain on the roof of my FWC but then again my house has a metal roof.

Back
Top Bottom