Norcold 1.7 cu. ft. 3-way refrigerator.

Ted

Magellan
Site Team
We are replacing our refrigerator with an Engel. It could use having the burner cleaned or replaced and installing a vent fan as in this thread will probably help as well. This was factory installed by FWC in our 2003 Hawk, a $700 option at the time.

For people that make this mod, FWC now has solid door replacements for the vent doors which I will be picking up today. So I will have the vent doors to go with the fridge.

$200 with the doors. $150 for the fridge alone. I'm a little east of Sacramento. Send me a PM.

For people that make this mod, FWC now has solid door replacements for the vent doors which I will be picking up today.

Dearest Ted,

Could you elaborate on this a little more? Maybe a pic??

Thanks !

Anyone know how difficult it would be to retrofit this unit in to a older camper with an icebox?
Should just be a matter of running a propane line and electric right?

Dearest Ted,

Could you elaborate on this a little more? Maybe a pic??

Thanks !

Desert Rancher,

The "mod" I'm referiing to is going from a three-way fridge to a electric only fridge, whether it be 12 volt only or 12v/120. A number of people have made this mod because the electric only fridges tend to handle ambient tempature better. In other words, they tend to hold a steady inside temp despite the outside temp. The downside to this mod is that the fridge is then drawing on your battery constantly unless you have solar.

When the three-way is running on propane, it needs to be able to vent to the outside. So campers with the Norcold have two louvered doors behind the fridge. The lower door is access to the controls for turning the fridge on and switching it between propane, ac, or dc. The upper one is actually not a door but just a louvered panel for the fridge to vent. This is where some people have mounted the fan to assist cooling.

With the electric only refrigerators, the venting is no longer necessary. You can make the mod and not replace the doors. But Terry at FWC told me they have solid doors now just for people that retrofit their refrigerators, so I went ahead and got some of those. Pictures are below of before and after.

Jordan,

I think that is all plus installing the door and vent for reasons mentioned above. You will need to cut holes in the siding to accomodate them. If you would like, I can measure them and post the dimensions.

Door and vent before:
gallery_176_163_193909.jpg

Solid doors after. Note - new upper door is smaller than old vent and previous screw holes are exposed and need to be sealed.
gallery_176_163_112362.jpg

Nice find Ted.

When/if I switch to a DC refrigerator.....I'll definately do the doors too.

Is there much usable storage space behind the doors?

Nice find Ted.

Absolutely none. But that may be different depending on what you install. I installed an Engel SR70F which literally snugged up against the wall in back. I had to move some wires that were screwed to the wall to get that extra 1/4". This fridge was not my first choice, however. I was trying to get an Isotherm 65 which may have left some space. but it needed to be shipped from Italy and that country closes down in August so it wouldn't have been delivered for two months. We have a big trip soon and I wanted something now. So if you consider a fridge swap, besides the Engel, look at Isotherm and Waicos. Both of them have danfoss compressors which are equally as efficient. Check the dimensions on those and you may find one not quite so deep.

Nice find Ted.

I just lined the inside of the doors with my favorite substance, reflextic. And then from the inside I added a little more fiberglass insulation and covered it with a thin wood panel. Good space inside, I removed the furnace and store the Wave 3 on the floor when traveling.
944875574_SdaZD-M.jpg

Due to a complete lack of interest, the fact this fridge is still occupying garage space, and the wife would like it gone, I'm now offering it for the price of nada. As in zip, zero, free. Cause when she is happy, I'm happy. :cool:

<snip> Cause when she is happy, I'm happy. :cool:

Ted, perhaps someday you should consider changing your user name to Mr. Wisdom?

and to make up for the minor hijack..................Come on everyone, you just can't get a 3 way refrigerator at a better price! Act quick and be first in line! Help Ted clean out his garage and make room!!!!

Mine was pre-plumbed with electric. Regardless if you're interested doing the electric and propane would be little trouble. I can't believe no ones all over that deal. If I didn't have the Edgestar I'd be pulling up in teds driveway before anyone else had a chance :rolleyes:

I just might pull up in Teds Driveway! A few questions though: Looking at this pic it seems that I am plumbed with gas, and the blue and black wires are DC. So I am in fact two thirds of the way ready for a 3 way fridge? Also I have a 1996 Ranger II that calls for a 1.9 cubic foot, will that be a problem putting in a 1.7 cubic foot?
I shouldnt mention my hesitation of cutting into the side of my camper for the vents!

Attachments

• 3 way compartment.jpg
    3 way compartment.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 107
James,

I have someone that plans to pick up the fridge but has not yet. If they fall through I will let you know. Sorry I forgot to update this thread.

I noticed the white romex as well. with the factory install the 120 plug goes from the fridge through that hole and is plugged into an outlet just on the other side of that cabinet wall. You may actually be three thirds of the way!

Ted

Is the white romex your 120 for the three way?

Ski3pin I was going to say no, that it's actually not 120 romex for my fridge but for a plug; then Ted informed me that's actually the plug where the fridge would plug into, so in a sense it is.

Ted thank's for the heads up, just let me know what happens.

Our old Ranger II had a standard 120 outlet box wired in behind the refrigerator. The fridge comes with a standard 120 cord with plug, just like at home.

Back
Top Bottom