Norcold N300 Door Opens & Shelves Slide Out on Rough Roads

ckent323

We have a FWC installed Norcold N300 Refrigerator in our FWC Keystone that works well but on rough roads the door pops open and the shelves slide out.

I have looked for Norcold accessories to remedy these issues but found nothing.

Here is a link to pictures of the same model refrigerator:

http://www.wanderthewest.com/forum/topic/12798-sold-norcold-n3003l-2005/

Our old 1984 FWC Keystone which had a different fridge that had square metal instead of rounded plastic door edges, had a simple pin latch (JR products) which worked fine.

So I bought a JR Products refrigerator latch pin (now made by RV Designer) for $6 but when I went tio install it I hesitated due to the plastic rounded features on the Nordold fridge door. I am a not sure where to attach it.

See: Refrigerator Travel Lock - pin

https://www.campingworld.com/refrigerator-travel-locks-pin-style?utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=bingshopping&affiliateid=5571

I could drill a hole next to the clip latch on the door but I am not sure if the plastic trim piece is strong enough. The door is in near new condition and I don't want to start drilling holes and then find out it will not work.

Has anyone with a Norcold used this type pin or perhaps a patio door loop lock like the following?

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Prime-Line-Patio-Chrome-Sliding-Door-Loop-Lock-U-9847/100168244

Not sure if the loop lock will fit and where I would drill mount holes - i think the holes would have to be into the plastic trim piece on the vertical edge of the door and I am still wondering about strength of the plastic.

I don't think a bungee would be sufficient because on rough roads the side to side motion causes the refrigerator shelves with all the contents (weight) to slide against the door and push it open.

What do you other Norcold owners use? Velcro strap maybe?

My Wife would like the install to look nice.

The sliding shelf issue leads to another question: does anyone have a suggestion on how to retain the Norcold refrigerator shelves in place to keep the shelves from sliding out so easily?

Photos of any solution suggestions for these questions would be appreciated.

Craig

I don't think a bungee would be sufficient because on rough roads the side to side motion causes the refrigerator shelves with all the contents (weight) to slide against the door and push it open.

Craig, we use a tensioning rod (Camping World stuff) to keep the contents of the refrigerator from moving around. I wonder if that would help with the shelves?

If it were me, I would use a couple of footman loops and a strap on the door. If you had a cam type buckle, the entire strap could be removed when you're not on the road. Try Strapworks in Eugene.

I used 1" nylon webbing, 2 footman loops, and a 1" fastex buckle. The loops are on the sides of the enclosure rather than on the face. I cut the straps such that the buckle is close to latch side of the door. That way the short strap hangs out of the way when unbuckled and it is easy to move the long strap out of the way.

Looks like the door is reversible. Looks like two holes in the top of the door. Maybe you can access one of the holes and drill a hole in the latch to match. Then use a metal pin on a leash dropped down from the top.

Keep the shelves them self from sliding could try some foam sticky tape on the shelf end. But that won't keep the contents hitting the door.

I am exploring the patio door loop lock. If that does not pan out I like the footman loop and strap idea with buckle or hook and loop fastening..

I am also going to look into using tension bars across the shelves;

Thanks for the replies!

If you don't anticipate using the shelves slide out feature except for a maintenance clean out at the beginning of the season, I wonder if it is possible to a little strategically placed Velcro tabs on the shelf and the interior of the Norcold? Maybe just a small 1/2" x 1/2" tab on each side of the Norcold and on the front edge of the shelf. That way you can pry them apart to remove the shelf and if you tear 'em up, just put in a couple new pieces each season.

While we are on the topic of Velcro....could you mount a 4-6 inch strip inside the cabinet shell that would come out, go around the handle and then fold back onto itself? You can sew the two tabs together into one strip and when camping, re-attach them. No metal things to rip into your flesh in the camper's tight quarters.

Back
Top Bottom